Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cortes Users Question.

Hey all, all day today I was getting solid deep 95 signals from multiple angles which turned out to be pulltabs. Also, I just dug a 6 inch deep solid 95 and it turned out to be a 1918 Buffalo nickel. This doesn't seem right to me, anyone else experience that?

I should add, when I wave them over the coil after digging them they ring up where they should. I've heard of numbers dropping on deeper targets but never rising.

If I remember correctly 95 rings up as coins on Deleon and Cortes,such as quarters, dimes, etc its a general coin catagory.

Just a thought Try doing a airtest with the same buffalo coin you dug and see what it comes as not sure why it would come up on the high end scale but I did have a V nichol come up at 95 once on my cortes I think sometimes the halo around a coin will effect the reading. and I know someone on here says coins dont give halo effects but I believe they do being that i have had signals and once open the hole lost the signal and had to use a pinpointer to locate the target in the side of the hole

I did do an airtest on it and it came up like a nickel but for some reason in the ground some pulltabs and that nickel lock on at 95. Not shallow ones, they were all 5+ inches.

What did the bargraph say?

HH
Mike

I'm not really sure to be honest. I took it out again today and didn't eperience that problem again. One thing I did have happen a LOT was getting good signals that vanished the moment I cut a plug.

MichiganJason said:
I'm not really sure to be honest. I took it out again today and didn't eperience that problem again. One thing I did have happen a LOT was getting good signals that vanished the moment I cut a plug.
This could be a sign of a too negative ground balance. Try the Cortes in all metal mode ground balanced to your ground and see if it helps.

The places I hunt would be impossible to detect in all metal. We have fairly mild ground here and have never had problems detecting with fixed gb machines. It does good on coins, I found 5 wheaties today in a spot I've done a hundred times with probably 10 other detectors. The problem was the vanishing signals, I had one other detector that use to do that all the time and that was a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Now that I think about it, it was raining and the ground was soaked today from the rain and the snow that just melted...I wonder if that was the cause.

MichiganJason said:
The places I hunt would be impossible to detect in all metal. We have fairly mild ground here and have never had problems detecting with fixed gb machines. It does good on coins, I found 5 wheaties today in a spot I've done a hundred times with probably 10 other detectors. The problem was the vanishing signals, I had one other detector that use to do that all the time and that was a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Now that I think about it, it was raining and the ground was soaked today from the rain and the snow that just melted...I wonder if that was the cause.

Jason,

I think I know what SkiWhiz was hinting at, and that is to use all-metal mode to check the hole for the target that went silent. I've had the some so called 'ghost signal's and the target went silent after a plug was dug, a lot of times the target is in the loose soil at the bottom of the hole or coin was on edge at the bottom of the hole. I once chased a deep 2

I searched all the holes with my pinpointer and detector after opening them up and there was no signal at all. I spent a lot of time trying to find the signal again but once the hole was open they were gone. I would check them again after reburying them and still wouldn't get a signal. It would be a problem if it only happened a few times but I bet it happened 15-20 times total. I love the Cortes otherwise....I'll keep at er' and see if I can figure out why it does that. If it keeps it up I think I'm going to trade it off for something else. It's nothing mechanical as it just came back from Tesoro last week. Like I said, I wonder if it was the saturated ground...it was in a baseball field and it was pretty much mud when you took a plug.