Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cortez question

ks digr

My dad is looking at getting another det.Has been thinking about cortez,already has tejon but wants something w/meter to hunt coins in parks.His question is when using cortes in disc.mode the gnd.bal.is already set and when using in all metal the ground bal.is man.??And also how are the notch and sum features?Will the notch knock all all of a certain area exp.Pull-tabs/all rings or how does it work.And is sum mode a feature that will get alot of use or more of a speciality item??And also what kind of depth can he expect in normal to slightly minerlized ground??Thanks for taking the time to read my questions any replies appreciated.....hh kd

I can answer a few of those questions. I had a Cortes a couple of years back, so I still can remember most of what you asked.

First, you stated the ground balancing nuances correctly with the Cortes. That was my biggest complaint with my Cortes. I would have really enjoyed using it if it didnt false and chatter in our highly mineralized soil conditions. I could have used all metal mode, but I didnt want to listen to it beep over any nail or hot rock as well. You probably wont have that problem though, in nice soil. I took my detector to Illinois, right after I got it, and it worked nice and smooth in all modes.

Second, the notch. I didnt use the notch much. I tended to use the numeric readout as my notch. The tabs tended to be in a pretty tight range in a couple of different zones. I typically dug anything regardless, but if I were feeling lazy, and I saw a reading of 43-46, I knew it would be a tab. The notch feature allowed you to select a narrow or wide notch range. It didnt allow you to slide the range up or down, just how wide you wanted it.

The Sum mode was something I didnt use much. The only time I really used it was when I had a reading that jumped between a higher number (80's to 95) and zero. If you pushed the sum tab,(it is spring loaded, so that you cant keep it there) it kind of averages the numbers and presents it in a tone. I think there were 8 tones. If the numbers were jumping between high and low, and the tone was low, it was alway a rusty nail(in the few instances that I chose to dig). I stopped using my sum mode, because of an unusual quirk, in that it (the detector) would often reset itself. By that, I mean that it would quickly shut off and then turn itself back on. That was a little annoying. I never heard anyone else complain about that on the forum, so I assumed it was just my detector.

I guess the depth would be pretty much typical of the previous generation of Tesoro detectors. Although I didnt see much difference between it and the Tejon that I traded it for. It will probably do just fine for you, if this is the detector that your looking at.

Overall, I like the detector. I thought the Tejon would be head and shoulders above it, so thats why I traded mine. A few tweaks from Tesoro, and it could be a excellent detector. Best of luck in your decision, and I hope this was more helpful than hurtful.

J.

...would be to make the GB selectable - a switch position for those who want a pre-set and a position for enabling the GB. Then you'd have the best of both worlds at your fingertips. Are you listening, Heidi?

David

Lets redesign the display to make it a tad bigger. That would top it off and Id get in line to get one.

david

I would just work off the DeLeon. Get rid of the notch and sum, and just focus on the display and GB. I didnt mind the display the way it is though. I'm sure that in a few years, my eyes would like to have the display larger though. It might be nice to have a switchable frequency like the conquistidor did too.

J.

Thanks alot rentasquid,your observations have really helped!Thanks again have a merry christmas and happy new year.....ks

Yeah I could deal with your ideas. Heidi you listening?

David

I just have to have tone id on the front end. Thats just me.

The Notch worked fine and the Sum mode was great in alum. I know some folks didn't use them, but they are additional tools to make your detecting more enjoyable in certain places.

The Cortes has the best low conductive range TID spread of any detector made today and the Sum mode lets you get one TID number for just about any target.

It is a nice machine.

HH

long time no hear. Hope everything is goin' good down in New Mexico! Merry Christmas!

J.

The features sound quite nice and Tesoro-useful. I learned some time ago that you cant bend a detector to your way of working, but rather have to use it according to its ways. Once I learned that, so many models were so much better!

My one real beef with the Cortes is the pre-set balance in DISC. It seems so simple to make the GB selectable, either manual adjust or preset. Here in SC the soils as mild and it isnt a big problem, but I want the option of adjusting for conditions, should the need arise.

I think having the TONE ID in the SUM mode is a benefit as well. All those tones going off all the time are annoying, to me. I have a tone ID detctor and it gets tiresome after awhile, sort of like a choir that wont shut up, all singing their own song!

All in all, I still want to try a Cortes and will one day Im sure.

David

David said:

"I learned some time ago that you cant bend a detector to your way of working, but rather have to use it according to its ways. Once I learned that, so many models were so much better!

Amen to that! :please: It has taken me a bit to understand that too. But once I figured out what was going on, life got better and the revolving detector door slowed down.

In Hindsight, most of my detecting is in new sites so I do alot of cruising style hunting. Some machines do better with this hunt style than others. I think that is where me and the Cortes got off on the wrong foot. The Cortes is a better focused seeker than a cruiser. When I got the Golden uMax,it turned out to be a cruiser and I fell in love with it just because it fit that hunting style.

So I sold the Cortes, bought a CoinStrike because it had tone id. Guess what? Its the same type of machine as the Cortes; a focused seeker. So I hate it when I try to cruise with it, but love it when I do focused seeking. Someday I'll have to retry the Cortes in the type of hunting it does best at. I'll bet I'll think its wonderful :detecting:

Moral of the story..."I learned some time ago that you cant bend a detector to your way of working, but rather have to use it according to its ways. Once I learned that, so many models were so much better!":cheers:

Hi J,

All is well. Hope it is on your end as well! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Hope you get a new detector to play with next year!

Mike

Im a fellow cruiser, as time is my problem. When I get a few hours, I cruise! Thats why I like detectors like my GTP 1350 and maybe now I oughta get a Golden nMax to try out - to go with it.

David

I would love a new detector too, but dont think thats gonna happen! I stick with my trusty Pantera, unless some unsuspected windfall allows me to do so.

J.

Well J, you never know when GW will do some more fuzzy math and send you a check :lol:

I've heard good things about the Pantera. If you bought it new, I bet you and it are friends in good standing! :thumbup:

is the tone id and the coil selection. You can put a widescan (DD) coil on it and just cover ground while your ears tell you what you are passing over. My favorite sizes are the 8.5" and the Cleansweep. The Cleansweep gets a bit heavy, but it sure covers the ground. When I need a bit more depth or something lighter on the arm, then I use the 8.5" widescan.

I just got the wife an ACE-250 for her birthday. She likes it, and I like the notch arrangements. No more beeping fences and poles for her :lol: Gives a little insight on the GTP1350. I bet its a good machine. If Garrett offers a DD coil for the 1350, I bet it would make a great cruiser!

So I went and checked out the 1350. Think I'll get one sometime next year. When it first came out I gave it a look but didn't pay alot of attention. Today I read the manual. It looks like a really decent machine for the price. Also has a DD accessory coil. I bet it would make a great cruiser. :cheers:

Ive got one and it really does the job. It has the larger coil and snipers and a scad of features. Its very sensitive and I have been surprised at sone of the ITSY BITSY stuff it finds. The only critique from me is I wish it had a different tone ID arrangement. But I am not complaining. If you are a Tesoro man, the Garrett WILL be a bug to learn and get used to. But once you do, look out.

david