Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Could this have been affecting my gt coil????

borntofli

A while back I drilled out the rivets on the meter mount on the shaft of my gt....Today when I took it apart for cleaning a piece of rivet the size of 2 bb's came out of the lower shaft....

The last couple weeks I have been having to run my sens lower to settle it down....

I'm guessing a piece of aluminum that size would have some effect.....It certainly couldn't have been helping rattling around down there....

chopz54 is right, you are the one who should be telling everyone one here if it made a difference.

I know years ago Tesoro and Whites were two manufacturers who used steel coil bolts for holding the coil on. I dont think anyone does it know, all Ive seen for awhile now has been the nylon ones.

I once stripped the threads on my GT coil bolt over tightened and replaced it with a steel bolt temp. needless to say not a good idea NULL !!! :rant: i went to the hardware store and got a few nylon bolts prefect ! . Jim

Neil said:
chopz54 is right, you are the one who should be telling everyone one here if it made a difference.

I know years ago Tesoro and Whites were two manufacturers who used steel coil bolts for holding the coil on. I dont think anyone does it know, all Ive seen for awhile now has been the nylon ones.

I think the reason for replacing with nylon is purely for cost--As Tesoro's are a motion machine the nut/bolt would move in situ with the coil and
therefore would not give off a false signal.I have 4 Tesoros ALL with steel nuts and bolts and have never had any problems.

Hobby shops where they sell RC planes are also a good source for the proper size nylon bolts. I couldn't find them at a hardware store, but I did find them at a local RC store. Ask for plane "wing bolts" as they are often used for that. People use these nylon bolts to attach the wing to the plane. Some guys will boil these bolts to make them brittle so they'll snap off in a crash before damaging the plane. Other people cut about halfway through the bolt just under the head so it will snap on impact.

Whether it matters or not I'm using a Whites tall man carbon fiber rod for my lower shaft on my custom GT shaft. This lower shaft is longer so my lighter weight aluminum upper shaft is shorter, and thus further away from the coil. Maybe that allows a little more sensitivity because the aluminum shaft is further away from the coil. Don't know if that's really the case but it can't hurt.

I'm also real picky about routing the coil cable away from the coil as fast as possible. That means I route the cable straight up the shaft (secured with velcro straps) and only coil the cable around the shaft once it passes the hand grip. Again, whether that helps with allowing higher sensitivity settings is anybody's guess but it can't hurt.