Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Counter balancing the shaft.

Grunter

I took the plug out of the end of the shaft and put in a roll of dimes minus $1.20 and replaced the plug. It seems to counter balance pretty good. I use to use rolls of pennies to get a better balance inserted into the butt of my match rifle.

With the 15 inch coil coming EVENTUALLY I have been thinking of weights to use. Good idea. I was hoping that a salt water hunter would take some of those sinkers and make weights for sale.

I would definitely do what I have done which is to attach
a small bungee( 6”-10” long) or other elastic loop to the belt
of your tool and finds bag, and have a quick attachment
small carabiner at the base of the detector handle.
This tether will make your swing almost weightless with
the stock coil, and really offset the weight of the 15” coil.
You can also use a hook for even easier engaging and dis
Engaging the tether

I used part of an old Xcal pod i had laying around with some lead. Its like the Xcal pods..... getting them back there far enough to balance it at the handle without adding to much weight.

Grunter --

A great question. The full shaft system I am designing will include a counter-weighting system; I don't want to say too much else about it yet, but soon I'll make a post showing what I've come up with -- the full shaft (one-piece middle and upper shaft, and a lower shaft -- plus a customized counter-weighting system). I think it's going to turn out really good...

Steve

I use mount my Garrett carrot to the upper shaft just under my forearm. Can’t get pics to work but you get the idea..

It will be interesting to see what you come up with Steve

Thanks, Dew.

I'm working on it; very close to a proof-of-concept prototype on the cam lock/clamp; getting that design right is still the hold-up at this point... the counter-weight design is much further along, with prototype parts/pieces much easier for them to fabricate...

Steve

Just from my little effort.......... seems getting the balance is more of getting it behind the cuff far enough more than weight.

dewcon4414 said:
Just from my little effort.......... seems getting the balance is more of getting it behind the cuff far enough more than weight.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

Archimedes

:beers:

Joe, and Dew --

You are both spot-on. I may as well ask this question, since we are talking about it.

I have spoken to one fellow detectorist, regarding counter-weighting, who wanted to limit their "shaft counterweight extension" to no more than a couple of inches -- thinking that any longer of an extension would be "in the way." I fully get that. At the same time, it is true from a physics standpoint, as Joe rightly points out and as Dew alluded to, that the shorter the distance from the fulcrum, the more weight you need to counter balance; the longer the distance from the fulcrum, the less weight you need.

So, if you consider the "control box handle" the fulcrum point, which it in essence it is, then to counterbalance the weight at the coil-end of the shaft, you have two choices -- MORE weight, but a shorter extension to the end of the shaft, OR, less weight, but a longer shaft extension.

Along these lines, I'm curious for some more opinions. With the thought that there are two competing issues that must be "balanced" here (no pun intended) -- keeping the amount of weight used to counterbalance limited, AND keeping any shaft extension as short as possible, What would you consider to be "too long" of a shaft extension? 4"? 6"? 8"? 10"?

Curious as to what some here would think. To me, I'd rather use less weight and a longer extension (off the butt-end of the shaft), but what do others think?

Steve

Those are the weight of each of the three coils - 6 inch, 11 inch and the 15 inch (whenever it is released) each would require a different counter weight or different length extension. Or a counter weight in front of the fulcrum for the 6 inch coil or a counter weight behind the fulcrum for the 15 inch coil. That going on the assumption that the 11 inch coil would have the perfect balanced shaft for it.

But.... with the 11 properly balanced it would be a huge improvement for any of the coils. Most may not even care but everyone is different ....and what’s life without some complaining.

sgoss66 said:
Curious as to what some here would think. To me, I'd rather use less weight and a longer extension (off the butt-end of the shaft), but what do others think?

Steve

As long as the extension isnt hit me or anything else, then yes I agree.

Another variable is how long each person extends their lower shaft (changing the distance of the "weight," i.e. the coil, from the fulcrum).

So, the idea would be to have different counterweights made/available, to balance each of the coils, and for several different rod-extension lengths...

Steve

Steve,

Looks like a can of worms to me! You need to get all of these issues resolved because I just received my 6 inch coil today!!! LOL Looks like play time this weekend. (around the football game of course)

Joe