Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

crazy deep target

Waterdog

XP Hf 9x5 coil is the most incredible coil out there.

I went out with our club today with the use of the xp deus and the 9x5 coil. I got a squeak of a signal, no VDI or depth indicator, but was repeatable. I asked another club member to come over as he had a 11 inch coil on his machine, but he could not hear it. I again went over and found the repeatable signal, dug down 1 foot deep, could find it with my pin-pointer, and with he found it with his in the hole after digging one foot deep. After a few my tries with the shovel I gave up on it.
I wonder why I could hear it with the smaller coil and with the bigger coil he could not hear it.

I've found coins over a foot deep with a Garrett 8 1/5 x 5 coil on AT GOLD in sand. Lots of crackles and only tiny blip. A big coil does not do as well on tiny objects. Also the frequency used can make a big difference on the small stuff--higher is better.

Was it a false signal? Likely. Ash when wet causes falsing. Look for the grey soil. Never worked in it with the Deus but special tuning is needed for sure.

MikeLab, what you just said about ash is new info to me..... Pacific Northwest is more or less coated in Mount St Helens ash and I experience a fair amount of falsing or cast off signals but attributed that to iron pieces as a rule. Do you know if there is any hard data on that or is that just your personal experience? Inquiring minds meed to know.....🤔

Unfortunately, tiny bits of aluminum which are quite shallow will ring up deep with no signal. When I get these signals I try to remove about an inch of dirt and test the plug and the hole with my pinpointer first. Beats digging a foot when its not there. But dont stop digging these. The deus is incredibly deep on really deep objects. If you're only coin hunting you can notch them but for jewelry or relics you may lose some good stuff by doing this.

Wet ash, don't recall where I read that but it can make for rough detecting. I ran into some along a stream bed and saw the white/grey soil.

It's all about settings. You have no idea how the other guy had set his unit up. That's the difference. I did a video on YouTube years ago comparing natural targets marked with flags between an Elliptical and a 11" coil. Six targets found with each coil. I couldn't find a target that they didn't each see.

The reason I ask about the ash phenomenon is that volcanic ash is basically toasted minerals spewed out of the earth. This could answer quite a few questions about false signals.......

13” deep? Aluminum for sure or old style steel? I as a rule usually find aluminum around here not much more that 5-6” where steel goes deeper. Either way thats down a bit!

Waterdog, was the two detectors in close range of each other? If so that's probably why one will pick up a signal and the other won't. This is a common problem when hunting together.

I was in Anchorage Alaska when Mt. Spurr erupted on Sept. 1992.
I was on a roof at 9:00 pm (still daylight) and on the horizon there was nothing but a black cloud moving our way
at the time we didn't know what the hell it was, it was kind of creepy.
come to think of it we had to wear masks like we do now.
volcanic ash is silica and you don't want to breath that in.
I filled a coffee can full of ash it weighted 20 lbs.

Last edited:
I was in Anchorage Alaska when Mt. Spurr erupted on Sept. 1992.
I was on a roof at 9:00 pm (still daylight) and on the horizon there was nothing but a black cloud moving our way
at the time we didn't know what the hell it was, it was kind of creepy.
come to think of it we had to wear masks like we do now.
volcanic ash is silica and you don't want to breath that in.
I filled a coffee can full of ash it weighted 20 lbs.
Holy crap Robert, how big of a coffee can was it?