Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

crazy question but, deleon or outlaw?

kelly95

I can get either one for about the same price at a "big auction" place the Deleon looks brand new and the outlaw obviously isn't very old, also has the three coils. I kinda like the readouts anymore as I don't have a lot of time to detect so any help the detector gives is nice but I have heard great things about the outlaw and it does have the three coils. the three coils seem nice but I don't really know that I need them for small amount of time I go. any comments are great and I already have a minelab 705 and compadre , I just keep coming back to Tesoro!

OUTLAW for several positive reasons.

1.. You only need the 5¾" and 8" coils. Sell the big 10X12 and get some of your investment back.

2.. The Outlaw has manual Ground Balance and that can make an important improvement with any Tesoro detector as it affects both modes. The Deleon is a fixed GB.

3.. You already have a TID model so you might as well select the more versatile of the two Tesoro's you're considering.

Just my biased thoughts.

Monte

If you dont have a lot of time to detect, then you may not have enough time to "learn" the DeLeon....it does take time to figure out everything the D tells you, so if you cant take advantage of the wealth of information it does provide, the go for the Outlaw.:biggrin:

Keep in mind the Deleon at first can be used by audio only and as you have time learn the TID along with the audio. For my area the Deleon has been impressively deep. Not sure what part of the country you are from but keep these things in mind. With that said can't go wrong with the outlaw either. In whatever you pick, go with it and don't look back. Good luck deciding.

It's hard to beat the Outlaw once you get the de-tune/re-tune button figured out. It's not that hard to figure out, but it does stump some people. On the other hand, the Deleon is one sweet machine that has some really good depth. I'm not a screen ID guy, so I try to ignore the screen the best that I can. I'd have to agree with Monte on going with the Outlaw since it does have the ground balance. You won't be disappointed with the Outlaw once you learn how to use it properly. It's one of the best detectors that I've ever used at iron laden sites. It has a great auto tone!

tabman

Agree with Monte except for getting rid of the bigger 12x10 DD coil there are places it can be handy such as large fields with low trash where you need more ground coverage and the advantage of more depth with a bigger coil. Also down the road when you can afford it get your self a Tesoro 7" wide scan DD coil to add to your coil collection it is an awesome coil on the Outlaw.

Best of luck.
Happy Hunting, :detecting:
Bill G

thank you all for the input, sounds like I can't lose either way, I'm from iowa and don't have much trouble with the ground balance part around here.

I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest the Deleon. I had the Outlaw, and found it to be mediocre. Since you stated that ground balancing isn't an issue, then that's an unnecessary feature. I find the Deleon's depth to be better than the Outlaw, in fact, I would say equal to the non-super tuned Vaquero. I understood the whole re-tuning and de-tuning feature, but found it to be an unnecessary "extra" feature.

I know this won't matter to you, but I found the Deleon to be the best machine I've used for Canadian coins. Our coins didn't fair so well with the Outlaw, so maybe that's why it never ended up being a favorite.

I had $1000 set aside to upgrade to another machine, but I have no desire to upgrade after a season with the Deleon. I'm going to use that money to go on vacation!

Dan

thanks dan b I'm hearing that more and more the longer I'm posted,,,, (have posted other places) and I agree with other posts, maybe I couldn't learn the Deleon well on limited time but other than the tune button its simpler than the minelab. i'll have to see how the auctions go now!

I had the outlaw and traded it for the Deleon and I love it I didn't like the outlaw. I bought a 5.75 and 12x10 coil but haven't used them the Deleon has been spot on with the # 's all stock and it is about 2in less in depth than my tejon but I'm really loving the Deleon.

I am kicking myself for getting rid of the outlaw , but I wanted to try a Vaquero I just hunted a soccer field and of the three detectors Vaq , compadre, outlaw , I can say with no hesitation i would have picked the outlaw it has a great threshold all metal that can be switched to disc fast and good coils for it but I am not going to sell my one and only rare Mirage P,I to get one again in fact the mirage would have done really well on the soccer field, if its extreme depth you are looking for we all agree on this forum that the Deleaon will go deep ,deeper than the outlaw from what I have heard . but the outlaw does not have badd depth its not deep but its not shallow .

I'll throw something into this discussion that will make it even more confusing. I have ample experience with both the Deleon and Outlaw and would say that they are equal in depth. The Deleon seems to be deeper than the Outlaw only because the audio is saturated down to the edge of depth, in other words, it does not seem to have the modulation to make deep targets sound weaker and faint. The Outlaw has a great audio and just seems calmer but in my experience it is just as deep but you have to be listening for the weaker audio of a deeper target. JMHO

Hombre said:
I'll throw something into this discussion that will make it even more confusing. I have ample experience with both the Deleon and Outlaw and would say that they are equal in depth. The Deleon seems to be deeper than the Outlaw only because the audio is saturated down to the edge of depth, in other words, it does not seem to have the modulation to make deep targets sound weaker and faint. The Outlaw has a great audio and just seems calmer but in my experience it is just as deep but you have to be listening for the weaker audio of a deeper target. JMHO

:thumbup: :thumbup: agreed.

Bill G

Bill G said:
:thumbup: I am with ya Brother.

Bill G

You betcha ! And it always pays $ to wear great quality headphones so you can hear the edges of the beep. The fainter the better they sound to me, I just know it's going to be non-ferrous and round in shape. With the half press RETUNE you can change modes to the no-motion all-metal and if it's modulated too you can just about bet on it being a good target.

kelly95 said:
I can get either one for about the same price at a "big auction" place the Deleon looks brand new and the outlaw obviously isn't very old, also has the three coils. I kinda like the readouts anymore as I don't have a lot of time to detect so any help the detector gives is nice but I have heard great things about the outlaw and it does have the three coils. the three coils seem nice but I don't really know that I need them for small amount of time I go. any comments are great and I already have a minelab 705 and compadre , I just keep coming back to Tesoro!

I had the Silver but had to sell it. The soil here in N.E. Nevada runs from lukewarm to seriously hot. It rendered the Silver useless. I could put a dime on top of the ground and the detector wouldn't even see it. I really liked that machine. I looked at the other Tesoro offerings. I would have bought the Deleon if it had an adjustable ground balance. I agree with Monte. The outlaw works very well for me. I added the Street Sweeper coil. I sold the large coil. Of course I'm set up for my hunting style and conditions. You may wish to keep the large coil. You have the Compadre so you should be familiar with the ground conditions. However, if you take a vacation to another state/area, will your Compadre or DeLeon be useful without adjustable ground balance??? Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on depth when choosing a detector. It's a crap shoot. There are too many variables to make depth an absolute. What is far more important is knowing your ground conditions and the history of the area.
So, with that said, I vote for the Outlaw.

I don't know if I'm late to the game or not. But from your OP, you say any help to ID would be nice. I, therefore, would go for the Deleon. You have the 705 for your GB areas. Your Compadre for turn on and go. The Deleon is the best of both worlds in turn on and go with ID. I loved my Deleon. If it was in the ground and metal, my D found it fast and gave me enough info to know whether to dig or not. It was great in dry beach sand. In the open area, I ran AM and it was deeeep. Then with just a flip of the thumb switch, I was IDing any sound to 8". The help was usually there unless the target was 10"+, then you are in the same position as an Outlaw.....working on sound alone.

I only used the spider coil, but boy did I have a blast. It owed me nothing.

I would choose whichever YOU want most, tld, or Pground balance. My Deleon has served me well in my area.
BB

I would pick the Outlaw if you can afford it, you get three coils with it. Sound trumps the display when you are detecting.