Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Creek Bed Boulder Removal -> GOLD

IdahoGoldGettR

As I passed by this section of stream many times, this one day (Friday October 9th), I stopped dead in my tracks and chose to investigate this particular spot. My eyes were affixed on the removal of a boulder. Not only was it in shallow water but it was also in full sun light amongst an evergreen paradise. As with most days, just being in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness was a true blessing. Today's only exception was that of a cool wind-chill bringing the morning temperature to a frosty 10 degrees. Still, my log chain, 100 ft. cable and come along ached with a passion to be used. The smell of gold was in the air. Before attempting to remove this particular boulder, I felt a little sniping was in order. In a few minutes, a small crack was widened into a workable crevice. A quick sample proved this location to hold some magnificent color. The boulder was next. Fortunately, the six foot pry bar made hoisting the rock easy and anchoring the log chain even easier. Fifteen minutes later, the boulder was removed from the hole and winched upon the opposite bank. By this time, I was dying to get into the water and cool down. Clean up began with a fox tail brush and a shovel. As fast as it began, the gravel classification was soon over. The work was done and it was time to enjoy a prospector's "panning session." The below photos are a step-by-step of that day's occurrence. A particular gold spot, gladly not over looked.

Howdy,
Now dangit, that has to be from last year, as you have got to have snow still. :blink:

Nice work though, again , you fire up the fever in me.

I guided up in the Bitteroot/ Selway for 5 years. Up out of Elk City, up on Elk Mtn. Schwar creek, Goat creek, Meadow creek. I guided for Elk Mtn Outfitters out of Libby Mt.
Pretty Awesome country, to say the least.
Ive seen grown men cry , up in that country. Seriously!
Every year , I would say i'm NOT doing it again, but every following September, its almost as if I couldnt wait to get there.
One time, 2 of us had to saw "56" trees that fell over the road the previous night, with a 2 man "misery whip" it took us 8 hours to get to Elk City.
We had to get 3 hunters to the airport, so we couldnt wait for the Forest Service.
Our Base Camp was at "Windy Saddle"
I never had the time to do anything, except care for horses and hunters, but I always thought it would be neat to pack in myself, and relax and enjoy the country.
We had a spike camp, on the backside of Elk mtn, and I forget the dang creeks name, but I do remember our first trip in, it was an all day ride from Windy saddle, and we slept on the trail that night , and found it the next morning.
It had warm springs next to the creek, and the trails were just Elk highways. I always wanted to go back and lay in one of those warm springs.
one of them was like a bathtub made out of rock,
dang, I sure do miss that country ! I have been in the Sierras, the Medicine Bows, The Cascades, the Rockies in Colo, and a few other ranges, But out of them all, I think the Bitteroot /Selway really left an impression on me . Maybe its because I got to know the trails and Elk habitat so well, but, its not often , that you can get out in the woods during Elk season , and not see a soul, or hear a shot, for days at a time.
It really is Special, and you my friend, are a lucky man, to live it.

Take Care out there.
And be SAFE.

Again , thanks for letting us see your gold, as it sure helps to keep a guy motivated.

Dusty

People on the prospecting forum rarely showcase their finds. Nice to see that you're not stingy with sharing your pics. I really wish I could do some panning, but no gold in my area. I would have to travel over a hundred miles, and even then that place only has miniscule amounts of flour gold. Keep on posting, your stories and pictures are appreciated, and drooled over :)

LOL,
Oh yeah, there she is.
My old boss/ outfitter bought a little piece of ground , with a shack , in town , to keep supplies year round.
So when we were hauling gear up the mtn, and back down , we could sleep in the shack, (We made sure it worked out that way)
So of course we ran around town a bit.
And of course , the boss treated us well when he was in town with us.
That bar on the left, was pretty much the only one I remember , OH ! yeah there was VFW just a street or two away from main st.
Boy , we had a good time.
If you know the Game Warden, ask him about the guy from pennsylvania shooting a Moose in 2004 /5 / or 6.
I was his guide.
I didnt know how to handle the situation, and was afraid to get my hands bloody, and be accused of poaching.
so i got us to base camp, and reported to my boss the situation, we then hauled my hunter to town , to see the game warden.
by the next day, the meat had gone bad. But I had to bring the horns in to the warden.
It was terrible situation. I had 2 guys that didnt know each other, and the one that brush shot the moose was hinting at big tips.
Sort of saying, lets walk away, and keep this quiet, and theres money /tips. He was scared bad.

We were leaving a spike camp out of Schwar crk, and I told them to walk through the meadows , as I would bring theyre horses and the pack animals 30 minutes later.
Just to keep the noise down, so they could sneak through , and theres that natural salt lick just before you head up and over the ridge.
I heard the shots, and he radio'd me , saying he shot an elk, then I heard more shots, then I heard on the radio " OH NO ! Oh NO"

Worst day of hunting in my life.

But the warden was understanding of me not wanting to dress the moose, and said that now he knows I'm honest, he gave me permission to dress anything under any situation ,and save the meat.
I guess the judge wanted to nail me for wasting the meat, but my boss said that the game warden stuck up for me in court. and said I handled it the best I knew how.
Yep, I think that was awful nice of him to keep me from getting a game violation and fined.
But i tell ya , after that episode, it was like I wanted to be right on top of my hunters. And thats hard to do, and still be productive.

We hired a "Packer" out of Elk City, Dean .. he was loud and sometimes obnoxious, but I tell ya, He would come in late , after packin all day and my boss would send him out with a string of 5 head, at 10 pm , on a 5 hour ride , to deliver supplies to a spike camp, and "DEAN" would get it done.
He was hard on horses, and we had our differences, but, He always got his job done.! And he knew the country.

So, do you know Dean? Seems like everybody knew him.

Good Ole Elk City.
I hope it never changes, cuz you just dont find small towns like that anymore

Hey , Thanks for the pics,
Sure fires up the memories.

Take Care, and Be Safe.

Dusty