Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Creek Bed Boulder Removal -> GOLD

IdahoGoldGettR

As I passed by this section of stream many times, this one day (Friday October 9th), I stopped dead in my tracks and chose to investigate this particular spot. My eyes were affixed on the removal of a boulder. Not only was it in shallow water but it was also in full sun light amongst an evergreen paradise. As with most days, just being in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness was a true blessing. Today's only exception was that of a cool wind-chill bringing the morning temperature to a frosty 10 degrees. Still, my log chain, 100 ft. cable and come along ached with a passion to be used. The smell of gold was in the air. Before attempting to remove this particular boulder, I felt a little sniping was in order. In a few minutes, a small crack was widened into a workable crevice. A quick sample proved this location to hold some magnificent color. The boulder was next. Fortunately, the six foot pry bar made hoisting the rock easy and anchoring the log chain even easier. Fifteen minutes later, the boulder was removed from the hole and winched upon the opposite bank. By this time, I was dying to get into the water and cool down. Clean up began with a fox tail brush and a shovel. As fast as it began, the gravel classification was soon over. The work was done and it was time to enjoy a prospector's "panning session." The below photos are a step-by-step of that day's occurrence. A particular gold spot, gladly not over looked.

That creeks full of placer gold... Have fun!

Thanks Pete, Ed, and Katz. A few weeks later, I hoisted another boulder from the same area. Another day "down under." Here are a few underwater snap shots of some gold hiding in a small pocket and a quartz vein. What caught my eye to investigate such a location, it was the embedded quartz boulder. I have provided these quartz photos (above & below the water surface) and the gold tally to a fine day's work.