Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Critter, where are you ?

Birdseed

Where is the Critterhunter ???

Just a line or two to let us know everything is OK Critter.

Miss your posts, your wit and your wisdom.

Pete down under

Thanks. I've been dealing with some bad nerves lately and haven't felt like doing much of anything. I've also been job hunting. Between the job hunt and probably filing for bankruptcy my nerves haven't been all that good.

critter dont give up , Remember when the isrealites were hemmed in at the red sea , they could see no way but always remember God can make a way were thear is no way , its at time like you are in that is the devals opertune time to tempt you this is a time were you must keep your faith in God , we all do miss you , the dept colectors served me a judgment on april fools day , how do you think i felt -- i felt like a fool i see others with jobs and familys and nice cars and hear i am 48 and single living with my parents as a hoshold servant trapping gophers for money yes i feel like a scumm but detecting has kept me with something to do and i am a help to my parents. later bro

I was starting to wonder myself what was happening with the critter.Glad you are ok. I have been in a somewhat similiar situation as you critter and it is no fun and uncertainty stinks. Only if we can look into the short term future( up to 6 months) That is what is was for me. I ended up getting a job in a place I didn't even think of. In the end, it all worked out and I am confident it will all work out for you too. Hang in there and just check in every once in a while (like you did today) Once you get things figured out in your private life, I will be looking forward to hearing your comments, opinions, field studies, and results in the field of metal detection. Earlier in the year you had started a post about if anyone else was out of work. Well, I remember writing in stating I was seasonally unemployed. This year, I didn't know if I was being called back due to all the federal & state budget cuts. Well, my employer called yesterday and asked if I could start August 29th. Of course I said, "yes" I am shocked they called me back already as they were talking about possibly November as my return if at all. I was "fretting" all summer long but I knew I had to keep my mind busy ( I also created a back up plan in case things didn't work out) Well, plan B wasn't needed but was there JUST IN CASE. I feel more at ease and you will too once you find what you are looking for. Take care & best of luck in your search. - Jim

Thanks for the support. My nerves are really bad right now. I'm suffering from both anxiety and depression. They've got me on medication but that only helps some.

The economy here in Cleveland is really bad. It was bad even before it got bad across the nation. My HVAC schooling only goes so far without experience. Seems like all the employers want 5 years experience. How do you get experience if nobody will hire you? Makes me wonder how any of the guys in this field got their start. Many of them never even went to school for it yet some how they are working in the field.

Currently I'm sitting on a bunch of debt with no money coming in. My nerves are so bad that I can't sleep and have only been eating once a day. I probably have lost 20 pounds already, which is fine I guess because I can stand to lose some weight. I've lost interest in everything and that includes metal detecting. The only reason why I popped in today was because I was checking some help wanted adds on Craigslist.

Thanks again for all the support. I can use it.

Critter hunter, I read many of your posts during the past year and I can tell you this much "you are brilliant". Believe it because its true. Replace the anxiety and depression with anger. You should feel angry, you are a hard worker and have a lot to offer. In this situation, anger is a much better vibe, it will take you out of feeling helpless and put you in control again.

I second this

jabbo said:
Critter hunter, I read many of your posts during the past year and I can tell you this much "you are brilliant". Believe it because its true. Replace the anxiety and depression with anger. You should feel angry, you are a hard worker and have a lot to offer. In this situation, anger is a much better vibe, it will take you out of feeling helpless and put you in control again.

Don't give up Critterhunter. One of my friends just got himself a sweet job at a Cadillac dealership. He was unemployed for close to two years all the while sending out hundreds of resume's and pounding the pavement. It is tough out there but I know that you are smart enough to get yourself through it. Just keep the faith!

HH and best of luck- Crispy Critter

There you go Critter, There are a lot of people on your side. Never give up.
I don't know how debt resolution goes in the U.S. Down here in Tasmania, if your front up to your debtors and come up with a plan to pay back a little at a time they are often sympathetic.
I only had a grade 9 education, I grew up in Melbourne Australia and by age 19 I had been living away from home for 3 years and increasingly mixing with the wrong company. One day I woke up to the cops knocking on my door. It was nothing I had done personally but it shook me up enough to realise that I was running headlong into trouble. I also knew that my employer was not in a position to employ me past my 20th birthday. An opportunity arose for me to come down to Tasmania, I got a job in a place called Queenstown on the wet west coast (150 inches of rain a year) working in a copper smelter at the Mt Lyell mine. Queenstown was to be the best thing to ever happen to me. I started work on a freezing, sleeting day, digging out a drain. I didn't know at the time but it was a test, if I didn't quit I would probably stay on for a while. As it happened, 10 years. The old Mt Lyell Co. (gone now) was one of those places that was prepared to give a person a fair go, if you showed an interest in some aspect of their operation they would offer you all the assistance you needed to gain qualification in that field. For me it was heavy electrical plant. In that 10 years I obtained qualifications in electric locomotive driving ( underground mine railway ) big compressors, overhead cranes and ultimately I ended up as a power station operator at the oldest operating hydroelectric station in Tasmania at Lake Margaret. Like all good things, Mt Lyell Mine had pretty much ceased operation by the mid 70s (though it still operates on a much reduced scale to the present day). I then moved to the Hobart area in the south of Tasmania operating a water treatment plant supplying a population of about 300,00 people. After a few years there, I was offered a position as an electrical engineer with the Hydo-Electric Commission (Tasmania's State owned power supply company) the catch was I had to go back to the west coast, and those 150 inches of rain a year. 9 months of winter and 3 months summer. I was told that I would need to stay for 2 years, then I could take up the first vacancy that took my fancy in a more equitable area of the state. 14 years later I moved up to the north of Tasmania managing the day to day operation and maintenance of more than half of Tasmania's extra high voltage (110,000 & 220,000 volt) substations until I ultimately retired here in Launceston in 2007.
The above was a long and drawn out way of saying that if one is prepared to be flexible and put up with a bit of discomfort, going where the work is instead of waiting for it to come to you, and making the best of opportunities offered, then there is no limit to what one can do with ones life.
I have a loving wife, a son and two beautiful grand kids and I would not change a day of it for anyone.

Best of luck and God's speed in getting your life back on track

Pete

You are not alone when it comes to depression and anxiety. There are many members in that club. And I happen to be one. There are some things that can help.

Exercise! The most important thing you can do.

Protein shakes

Counseling. I got a bunch of help with it. You learn things.

Family and friends are important. Lean on them for emotional help.

Hey Critterhunter, sorry to hear you're not doing so great. I also miss your input here. Perhaps a change is in order? North Dakota has less than 4% unemployment. I did a search on craigslist there for hvac and saw some openings. New job, new people, and best of all new places to find silver coins! Just my two 177's. I hope the best for ya
Jim

Critter,lot of people are struggling in this economy.Here in Michigan unemployment is very high.I don't like to burn myself out hobbies sometimes I need a break from the horses and detecting.The Buckeye Hunt was a cheap trip I always enjoy traveling.Sometimes difficult times can be good and give you a better direction in life.About 30 years ago I lost my wife and ended up raising two kids without a mother,wasn't the best parent but things worked out.On of my sons is unemployed and struggling,I remind him we can always buy the things we lost later on and appreciate the friends and family you have now.Best of life is yet to come.HH Ron

Critterhunter said:
Thanks for the support. My nerves are really bad right now. I'm suffering from both anxiety and depression. They've got me on medication but that only helps some.

The economy here in Cleveland is really bad. It was bad even before it got bad across the nation. My HVAC schooling only goes so far without experience. Seems like all the employers want 5 years experience. How do you get experience if nobody will hire you? Makes me wonder how any of the guys in this field got their start. Many of them never even went to school for it yet some how they are working in the field.

Currently I'm sitting on a bunch of debt with no money coming in. My nerves are so bad that I can't sleep and have only been eating once a day. I probably have lost 20 pounds already, which is fine I guess because I can stand to lose some weight. I've lost interest in everything and that includes metal detecting. The only reason why I popped in today was because I was checking some help wanted adds on Craigslist.

Thanks again for all the support. I can use it.

I know alot of HVAC mechanics(Im a painter now but also was a licensed plumber for 22yrs)go through apprenticeships so they get their on the job experience through doing the job. Experience cant be taught in school, you gotta do it.
You might try finding out what the going rate is to start for a HVAC mechanic in your area and offer yourself out for half that price to start and let the company bring you up in price as your experience increases, just like in an apprenticeship.
Thats the way trades work, its suprising you didnt learn this going through your schooling.

You arent right out of high school are you? I thought you were a few years into life so you must have done something before you went to HVAC school? It would be a good idea to take anything you can get for now, keep your mind and body busy, and its always easier to find a job when you have a job.
There are always options, even if as one of the guys said, you have to move. Hey if Im wrong about your age and your are fairly young, the military is always a good option also.

Critter, I agree with Neil. I would take any kind of job (in your field), just to gain the experience. I believe there are some government programs too, that encourage employers to hire folks by paying part of the salary for a period of time, while they gain experience and prove their worth. Get a job, show your work ethic and worry about the money later. Employers like to be surprised and are most impressed by those who work hard, no matter what their position, entry level or whatever. Think of the work first and the pay will catch up. Good Luck, we're all here, pulling for you!

Plugger

WELL CRITTER, NEVER GIVE UP. I WAS MARRIED 25 YEARS, AND ONE DAY MY WIFE SAID, I'M SAVING MY MONEY THIS MONTH AND NOT GOING TO HELP YOU PAY THE BILLS, AND GET ME AN APARTMENT. SHE SAID IF OUR THREE KIDS WANTED TOO, THEY COULD LEAVE WITH HER. SHE HAD DONE THIS TWICE BEFORE, BUT WITH NO KIDS. MY MID TEENAGE KIDS CHOSE TO STAY WITH ME. THE MONTH SHE LEFT ME, I WAS LAID OFF OF MY JOB AT AN ENGINE RACING COMPANY. ANYWAY, I STRUGGLED WITH HOUSE PAYMENTS, SOLD MUSCLE CARS, THAT MY WIFE DIDN'T WANT, TRIED TO DO DAYTRADING WITH STOCKS, AND MADE BIG MISTAKES AND WENT BROKE, AND KEPT DOING ALL DIFFERENT JOBS ON MY PAST EXPERIENCE, AND RAISED THREE GOOD KIDS. MANY TIMES I WOULD BE BEHIND IN HOUSE PAYMENTS, AND SOMETHING GREAT WOULD COME UP. ONE TIME, GOD GAVE ME A 2 CARAT DIAMOND RING THAT MY GT FOUND, TO PAY MANY HOUSE PAYMENTS. ANYWAY, I FINALLY RAISED MY KIDS, WENT THROUGH A BANKRUPTCY, GAVEUP MY HOUSE-IT FLOODED THERE, SOLD MY LAST CAR-68 ROADRUNNER BODY THAT I HAD HAD 37 YEARS AND BOUGHT A NICE RV TRAILER, AND AM LIVING CHEAPER THAN I EVER HAD. I FINALLY GOT A NICE JOB THAT IS PERMANENT AND CAN AFFORD TO HELP MY KIDS. JUST KEEP TRYING FOR ALL JOBS THAT YOU HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH AND KEEP TRYING FOR A HELPER JOB FOR AC WORK. THATS GREAT PAY, WHEN YOU GET IN THERE, AND GET SOME EXPERIENCE. DON'T GIVE UP. DECIDE TO GET OVER DEPRESSION AND KNOW YOU WILL SUCCEED. YOU CAN DO IT AND EVERYBODY IS ROOTING FOR YOU. CYA-MARK

Critter ,
Sorry to hear of your problems ......Back in the late 70's /early 80's , there was a HUGE work slow down here in NY ....You could not BUY a job .....Times were tough !!..... It did not last as long as it looks like this one is gonna last , but it was very hard just the same ......I looked around and read a lot and found out that there was quite a bit of work in Texas ....I knew NOTHING about Texas , but I knew I needed a job to support my family .....Off I went ......I stayed down there for 3 years , coming home twice a year for a visit ......I came back to NY when there was work available ..... If there is no work where you are , sometimes you have to go out and find it somewhere else ...... When you are use to your surroundings , it's sometimes very easy to kick back and get depressed, and just not care anymore about anything ...... When you move to an area where you have never been , you don't have the time to be depressed ....You are pushing yourself harder and harder to get a job, and to get use the the new area you are in , and you find that it is much better for your mental health wihen you strive to do better ......You are not a stupid person .....You have a lot going for you ....All you need is a place to use your skills ..... I know you can do it , and so do a lot of others on the forum ...... Take ANY job for now ......It will at least take your mind off of your problems 8 hrs a day .... You will feel a lot better just getting back into the swing of things ..... Good Luck in your search ....I will keep you in my prayers ....Jim

Hang in there my friend you have given a lot people confidence. You can tell you have quite a few friends out here and we are all pulling for you.. Is there any way you can give yourself a company name, freelance a little and next time you apply just say you had your own company since you got out of school did work here and there so you don't have to say you have just school experience? Or post your services in adult communities for repairs cheap Retired folks are always looking for someone to help them with inexpensive repairs with heating and air and a host of other things they can not do but you can. Some people do that so the resume does not look so empty. Just thinking of the top of my head. Don't forget to pray and have strong faith. Check also local churches for help with repairs, food etc. You never know what may come out of it if you put the effort in it and I believe you will be posting better news in the days to come.All of our best to you Critter.

You should move to Florida? Heating and Air companies are always looking for people here. Only bad thing is that after hunting the beaches for gold, you might become a beach bum.