Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

crosshairs locked

A

Anonymous

I'm new to metal detecting (30 days) but after reading lots of forums it was easy to determine the best detector. EXPLORER XS! I have learned a huge amount about the explorer and detecting in general. I understaund all the features on the XS I'm learning all the sounds and what they indicate by digging a fair amount of trash. One problem I'm having is the crosshairs do not move sometimes when a new target is found but the sound changes (big change) even after 4 or 5 passes. Its as if the processor crosshairs are locked.

Gary,
I too have had that happen a few time too and I even have got a good tone, but no crosshairs or if in digital no numbers. I have went over the target several time too. I have just went to pinpoint and then back to disc and it will take care of it most the time. Some of this may be that it is reading 2 targets and the crosshairs dont know where to go as it confuses it.
Rick

One of the things that the explorer does is measure the last target seen before returning to threshold, so to get the crosshairs to move to the right position it sometimes takes lifting the coil a few inches up after going over the target so it can return to threshold. this is especially true when hunting in a site with lots of iron, so wiggle the coil over the target your trying to get a read on then lift the coil 6 inches and hold it still till it moves. sometimes resquires a few times to get it right...in clean ground it should register as soon as you go off the target...Jim

Thanks Rick and Jim, I will try it. I'm hunting in trashy areas so that makes sense.

Jim,
Have you notice that even after you lift the coil up there is no crosshair in some cases even though you went over the signal 7 or 8 time and you have stop lift it up and nothing and have to go over the target again before you get a ID on it.
Rick

Hello Rick,
I have noticed the same thing. I have learnt to live with it. Kind of reminds me of the slugish operation of a slow computer with slow video card and a slow hard disk drive, trying to catch up with your needs when trying process a program on that slow P.C.
MAybe thats what it is. Just the slow visual component of the processing at a chip level.
Only thing is that it is not consistantly this way and makes me wonder if the Explorer XS is not performing properly at times. Sorry I do not have the solution. I just noticed the same as you whilst using my detector and have posted this message to confirm that I to have made the same observations that are similar if not exactly the same to yours.
Dave

yes I notice it does require several attempts sometimes, not sure why that is, almost always requires a few times when first switching modes especially in digital... and mostly when using manual sens... not a problem as I generally give it 3 or 4 go overs to see where its reading the most consistantly, and again the audio really tells you the most....Jim