Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Crud on an Indian Head

JMC

Yesterday I mowed down some overgrown areas and exposed zones we have not detected before. I made one pass over a small area maybe 5 feet across and came up with an Indian Head penny buried about 5 inches down all bound up in roots and growth. It's pretty crud covered but in the clear patches you can see the profile and shield on the back. The date is covered and I want to clean it off the see. Ran it under running water and soft brushed away the loose soil. Right now it's soaking in olive oil. It this the best method to remove the crud?

Just do not use salt and vinegar you will distroy it , i gave mine and short electrolysis bath just euogh to get the dirt off no more

I found that on the Indian heads if you take a small cup of peroxide and heat it to a boil in the microwave then drop in the coin it will loosen a lot of the initial crud. Sometimes I will repeat the heating process a few times with the coin removed. Then place in olive oil. This works well for me, does not seem to damage the patina of the coin in any way.

I have soaked a lot of wheats and Indian Heads with the peroxide sitting over the pilot on the cook stove. Sometimes takes all night. Doesn't seem to damage the coin. It takes all the crud off. The green comes off though if you like that patina.

Rick