Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

crummy zlincolns are making me nuts

scrounger

Further exploring with the ex2. Don't seem
To be enough separation between zinc and
Dime / copper penny. Conductive 25 - 27 zinc
Dime/co 27 - 29 .I guess this is why etrac is better
Conductive 35-38 zinc never higher. Dime penny is 41 -45
39 and 40 can be deep silver but usually screwcap.
And of course quarter at 46-47. Any suggestions?

Menu/Audio/Tone/Variability. Variability=10. You can HEAR the difference. A Zincoln,corroded or not,will NEVER sound like a wheat or silver.

I have used the Etrac, CTX and now the SE Pro. I don't really look at any number(s) but I can almost always tell by the difference in tone between a copper and zinc penny in conductive audio. I'm still going to dig them because you can be pleasantly surprised by a ring that falls in the same range! I can still almost always guarantee the target is NOT silver, copper, dime or quarter just on the audio tone. You can disc that range out of your tired of digging them.

I guess its just that the audio tone
On the ex2 for zlincolns sounds just
Like the deep silver tone on the etrac!
That sound has been the sound I am
Always hoping to find.and I can't resist
Digging it. Would it be possible to
Adjust the sound on either machine
So the tones would be the same for like
Targets even though the numbers
Would be different ? That way
I could switch seamlessly between m
Machines.

Fletch88 said:
I have used the Etrac, CTX and now the SE Pro. I don't really look at any number(s) but I can almost always tell by the difference in tone between a copper and zinc penny in conductive audio. I'm still going to dig them because you can be pleasantly surprised by a ring that falls in the same range! I can still almost always guarantee the target is NOT silver, copper, dime or quarter just on the audio tone. You can disc that range out of your tired of digging them.
so you feel the ex sepro is better than
Etrac or CTX? How many zinc would one dig approx before
Finding a ring? And then again.that would have to be one massive ring. I have several large gents ring 10k. Read 10/12- 13
Just like nickel .etrac. I would guess a large class ring 10k
Might make 12- 30 etrac.explorer numbers different but same concept! And 14k even less conductive!ó

I don't necessarily think the Explorer is "better" I just ran across one that is brand new looking in every aspect at a good price! I do remember the Etrac and CTX had much easier numbers to remember with the "12 line" being straightened out so many targets ferrous numbers are always a 12 (or very close). That's one reason I haven't been watching the Explorers numbers.
I personally have never dug a ring that rang up like a zinc, but have seen guys online that dug class rings with CTX's that registered the same as a zincoln.

Something in the Zincoln range that is actually a ring will likely be large and 18k-ish. That's kinda why some guys dig all those up,I do too but it depends on where I am. At a school playground? No. Outfield in the city park? Probably. Adjusting the sound range is tied to the threshold.
Menu/Audio/Tone/Th Tone. Adjust up or down to see if you can match it to the sound you're familiar with. Between the adjustments to the Variability and Threshold Tone you may be able to match it up.

Even though the EX2 and eTrac are both ML FBS machines,they ARE different,obviously. I have NOT used an eTrac but would think it may help to have 2 really similar machines or it may be a problem. We will certainly try to help get you going on the EX2,I haven't heard anybody who has used one for awhile speak badly of them,quite the opposite actually. I was pretty flustered when I first got going a short while ago but now...it keeps getting better every day.

Thanks idx! You mean10k and large don't you?
Conductivity falls with greater purity
I could have bought another etrac.the idea was
To save on price per earlier thread

On the 10-18k thing...I have not personally found a huge ring yet but people say it's the large 18k in the zinc range. I think it may have to do with the SIZE so BOTH karats may have characteristics of a Zincoln,depending on how large it is. I could be full of crap. I know my 14k medium wedding band is right above a nickel and right below a Zincoln. Why does my iPad capitalize "Zincoln"???? :lol:

The only one that I can remember for sure that it read as zinc was a large 10k mens wedding band and it was in an elementary school yard.

Well forget what I said then!:lol: I HAVE found this though,and this applies to about ANY machine. As conditions get tougher(EMI,minerals,junk) it's a great idea to dig anything that sounds or looks anywhere close to what you're after,especially at depth. I've dug more than a few silver coins where the VDI was anywhere from 23-30 on the Conductive side and up to 17-18 on the Ferrous side. The bigger the coil,the more this happens...to ME anyway. Next season I think I'm going after more mid tone/gold-ish signals,the silver around here is getting very hard to find. Instead of chasing junker signals hoping its silver I might as well dig sketchy stuff in the range of gold. There's probably more of that out there than many think,simply because it hasn't been targeted as much. Location is most always key to the gold,not always but a lot of the time,as we all know.

I tried that once with a cz-5 just digging foil and it will wear you out just digging the junk before you ever get a gold target.

chuck said:
I tried that once with a cz-5 just digging foil and it will wear you out just digging the junk before you ever get a gold target.

I have a secret weapon...10 year old twin boys. Might as well put them to work! And,they get to KEEP all the foil! Whadda deal whadda deal.....

I forgot that the EXII had numbers. Turn that off asap, use the smart screen, and turn on your EARS. I don't think I could confuse a zincoln with wheat or silver even if I wanted to. Time on the machine will easily prove worth while over a few minutes of bench testing with some random settings. Give it a fair shake. JJ

Yes I never have looked at numbers because they are too hard to remember vs jut looking at a general location on a 2D screen and more the audio. The first thing I noticed on the SE was that I knew when I had a zinc vs a quarter, dime, or silver.

Larger mens highschool and college rings are 10kt. and definetly will hit in that range. If you use an Explorer long enough the cursor movement is a big plus to dig or not and is a valuable tool relative to whats in the ground...even though the numbers may be the same...