Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Crusty Silver Coins

sparkster

I'm writing to see if anyone has a good way to cleans crusty, corroded silver coins and wheat back penny's. I have been finding many silvers and wheats in the desert south west.
I believe The ground is so mineralized and alkalized that it turns coins almost black when you dig them. Tumbling the coins that are crusty does not really help much. I have tried
Tar-nex that does nothing. I have also used vinegar and salt, but that etches the coins severely. Anyone have the ultimate answer for the problem? These are not collect able coins, I just want them to look nice for display. Thank you in advance for your help

Sparkster
---------------------------------------------------------------
Minelab CTX 3030, AT Pro, MXT, Excalibur ll 1000, DFX, Gold Bug ll, box full of coils, lesche, Pro Pointer. "AINT THIS HOBBY GREAT"

Take some baking soda, get it moist and rub the silver coins. Should make them nice and shiney. Not a whole heck of a lot you can do with wheats. Worcestershire sauce or lemon juice or copper polish may do something for you but they always come out with a weird color. Some guys use Ketchup also. Try some on a non key date wheat, see what it does.

Do a search for electrolysis here on the forum. Works magic without damaging the details that are left.

You might try giving them a soak in olive oil. It may take a few days to loosen the crud up, but it does pretty well on some of the coins I have tried it on, especially indian head pennies.
The only other method would be put them in a rock tumble with some aquarium gravel and see if that will shine them up. Keep the silver and copper coins separate when you tumble them....Good luck.

Roger

For heavily corroded silver try lemon juice and salt. Might take several days, but will slowly dissolve the crust.

jimmyk in Missouri