Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 to Excalibur 1000.

I have a Excalibur 1000 an thinking about buying the CTX 3030, just want to know if anybody has compared both of him together. And is it worth it?
Thanks Dwane

You may want to read some of the posts on the CTX3030 forum. It has some real problems in the surf with falsing. If you want a true water machine, I'd stick with the Excal.

E-TREC-Virginia said:
You may want to read some of the posts on the CTX3030 forum. It has some real problems in the surf with falsing. If you want a true water machine, I'd stick with the Excal.

:thumbup:

I have a friend who's finds are starting to pick up.... but its a real learning curve and he finds himself spending a LOT of time looking at the digital readings. He is finding coins have a consistant reading out there, but as expected ..... if you dont dig pull tabs you miss some gold. I still feel you dont need a reason NOT to dig and working off of just tones and dig it all ins disc is the BEST way out there regardless of depth difference. If you want depth..... get a PI, the CTX cant compete with them.

Dew

I've never used the 3030 so can't comment on that but I do have and use religiouly my excal, have gotten to know it really well. My excal has found me so many coins, silver coins, silver rings, gold rings and earrings that I will not sell it for another machine unless it's an improved excal, I just don't see that happening. Good luck..John

If you are serious about water hunting stick with the Excal!! I am very disappointed in my CTX-3030 and it is being traded off. Also the forum here seems to be full of people that are Very bias toward the 3030. Check other forums for more realistic feedback.

contact me if you want to sell, I want to waterproof my Explorer II but just might get a used 3030. I dont plan in going deeper then my knees but if I fall its nice to have a waterproof unit..

Arturo de Zorro said:
contact me if you want to sell, I want to waterproof my Explorer II but just might get a used 3030. I dont plan in going deeper then my knees but if I fall its nice to have a waterproof unit..

The CTX 3030 will false badly in salt water up to your knees if there is any wave action present. According to several posts on the 3030 forum, they've tried just about everything to correct it, but no luck. No, if you are planning on doing any salt water hunting, I'd stay away from the CTX 3030. I've heard that it does extremely well in the dry sand and good to very good in the wet.

To be fair it depends on where you are as well. Here in Fl with no minerals Gary Drydon doesnt seem to have a problem. That said..... i wouldnt trade my Xcal for the 3030 just because IN the water i dont want to be playing with buttons or trying to find the right tones or see the sceen in chest deep water. the Xcal uses the KISS method.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
To be fair it depends on where you are as well. Here in Fl with no minerals Gary Drydon doesnt seem to have a problem. That said..... i wouldnt trade my Xcal for the 3030 just because IN the water i dont want to be playing with buttons or trying to find the right tones or see the sceen in chest deep water. the Xcal uses the KISS method.

Dew

Exactly, the screen is useless once its underwater.

Having used both the excal and CTX I would have to say my preference for a water machine would be the excal. In all fairness however, my experience with the CTX was only on land.

I've got about a year's experience on the excal so I am by no means an expert. My bias tends to lean in favor of being a tone hunter rather than relying on VDI numbers.

The versatility of the CTX is amazing. My impression is that it's a phenomenal land and beach machine and perfect for someone who 'needs' only one machine and wants to water hunt occasionally as well.

I can only wonder how useful the display on the CTX is when hunting in in waist-deep water, as stated by others in this thread.

But seeing the number of CTX finds posted, I think the praise of the machine is warranted.

Yet for pure water hunting the excal gets the nod IMHO.

There's plenty of debate out there from the 'for-that-price-i-can-get-an-Etrac-AND-an-Excal' crowd, And quite frankly, its an interesting argument with merit. My feeling is that if you are primarily a water guy or gal, go with the excal and pick up a PI unit as a backup you can. The key is to honestly evaluate what you REALLY will be doing. If you are only going in the water up to your knees once or twice a year and otherwise hit the parks everyday, the CTX is the way to go if you can afford it.

There is no one perfect machine, only machines that fit your personal subjective needs more perfectly than others.

HH

There is no one perfect machine, only machines that fit your personal subjective needs more perfectly than others.

HH

Exactly...and people need to realize this. My beef is those who praise the 3030 as the best machine out there. This is simply a false statement...in its nitch it may be the best, but all around best...not even remotely close. For an all around good detector save yourself $1400 an get an AT-Pro. The AT is not the best in any one catagory but it holds its own in all catagories. Those on a limited budget would be best to research and buy multiple machines rather then blow their whole budget on just this one.

I agree as well. I started with an AT Pro and found it a top machine on the beach and dry land it was good but it lacked many tones and I wanted something I could dive with so sold it for an Excal. I love it as my beach/ dive machine, but wanted something for parks so bought an E Trac. Both machines I bought were second hand but near new and I saved a lot of $

I sometimes take both with me when I go out so that if the beach isn't producing I will swap and hit the grass. I rarely look at the screen on my ET and rely instead on my ears to decide to dig or not.

Both great machines, but both have their place.

HH