Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX problem

LI Tom

My last few hunts,my 20 month old CTX has developed some serious issues.At first the unit would false non-stop,which I was able to correct by noise cancel or re-starting.The last I went to well worked NYC park that has given me hundreds of silver coins the past 6 years.It has grown quiet on the deep goodies,but I can always coax 1 or 2 more from each visit here.The last hunt here as soon as I started hunting I began to get deep,good sounding 12-46,12-47 signals that in each case turned out to be a crushed can or other large trash and I mean on almost every signal,also the few coins I did dig the depth ID would read 8" and the coin would be 2-3".I dug more trash than I have dug in 20 months I have used this machine.I felt like it was using a $ 100 detector.Like I said my coil has been over this spot hundreds of times and I rarely dig deep trash.Anybody have any suggestions before I send it in to Minelab.Thanks in advance.

I agree with Andrew. I've had the same issue from time to time and found that I had a build up of dirt under the coil cover.

Tom, I am relatively new to the CTX here is South Carolina. I fully understand what you are talking about as I have also had that issue in the beginning
and still do. However, some cans, some bottle caps, etc.... will give those same coin numbers. Example, Michelob Light bottle cap will give a positively
12-46 to 12-48 indicating a quarter and a flat "mashed" can will give a 12-43 indicating a dime. The depth initially would be wrong. What I found out was
in my many digs is that when it does this, there is very near a deeper metal object that is close enough by, sometimes directly above and sometimes
directly below the coin. What I found out is that using the coil around the coin at different angles to try not to pass over the unwanted object would give
me the correct depth and it would be dead on. Sometimes that is impossible. If after you have defenitely pinpointed without question the coin, and know
exactly where it is, ((((I do NOT use the pinpoint button close to other metal objects as it will lock on to the strongest signal)))), move your coil away from it
until you can get to a place where you hear the hum of the threshold then quickly move over the bad stuff to the coin paying close attention to the depth
indicator, it will immediately FIRST give you the correct depth of the coin (((given that you are dead over it))) then it will jump to the strongest signal next
to it. Example from 3 weeks ago. At the river where everybody camps and gambles, I hit a very high coin hit and a thud sound (iron) on each side only
in one direction. The other direction I would loose the coin sound. The direction I got the coin hit, I would get an indication of iron - coin - metal that sounded
funny. I used the zig zag in the center until I picked up the coin. Dug down, pulled out a flat rusted can on one side, a spark plug for a Model T on the other
side at about 5". Well, I thought my coin sound was coming from the spark plug but before I closed the hole back up I used my pinpointer and re-checked
the hole. What do you know??? a 1936 Mercury Dime popped up in the bottom of the hole. Again, when this happens, move your coil away no farther than
it takes to get the hum of the threshold, then move quickly back over the top of the target noticing the First Depth Signal and that should give you an accurate
depth of the target.