Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX / XP Deus

DukeOBass

I'm looking for someone who has experience with both the CTX and the XP Deus. Depth of machines, target separation, discrimination, charging speed, battery life.

I don't have any experience with the CTX but I have owned Explorers and the Etrac and was pretty proficient with both. I think to try to compare these two detectors would do each an injustice because they are so different. The first and biggest difference you will notice between the Deus and the Minelab machine is the weight. A CTX is a 5 pound machine and I have swung one that belonged to a hunting buddy. Even though the machine is fairly well balanced, you are still swinging 5 pounds compared to the 2 pound Deus. After a long hunt that can make a big difference in aches and pains especially if you are a senior citizen like myself. The other questions you asked have a lot to do with the kind of hunting you are doing and where you are doing it. The Deus is the best machine in iron that I have ever used. There will be places that are iron and junk littered that the Minelab just will not function that the Deus will pick targets out with little difficulty. This leads me to target separation and the Deus excels in that area. It is almost unbelievably fast and the stock coil is great at separation and it is so good that XP does not even offer a smaller coil. With the Minelab in trashy areas you will need a small coil to even come close to the performance of the Deus in these situations. As far as depth goes the Minelab may have an edge but I only say this because I think it will ID a target deeper but if you are tone hunter or you dig all repeatable targets, you will find very little difference between the two. Charging speed and battery life, I would give to the Deus. I can go two long hunts with my Deus if needed and can quickly recharge the whole unit in the car beween hunts if needed. There is also the emergency charger that is easily carried around and the solar charger if you don't have access to electricity. I don't know of any other detector out there with that kind of versatility. Back to the question of what you are going to be hunting and where, the only place that I would give the Minelab a little edge would be fairly clean areas searching for deep silver. I have had a lot of success with Minelab products in that area but for the places I hunt and for my hunting style, the Deus is much more proficient and a lot easier to swing. If I had the money, I would have both detectors in my stable and use their strengths accordingly but I can't swing an Etrac all day due to physical limitations from RA so the Deus is my choice and I have not regretted it at all. Hope this helps and I will add that this is just my opinion of the two and I am sure you will get those that disagree with my findings but you would probably get that from comparisons of any two detectors. Happy Hunting !!
Pesc

If you can own both that is the way to go ......
They are with out a doubt the best of the very best period.....
I really love my Deus and it is hard to give them both equal time these days ....
mastering these bad boys will make you dig deep and reach over your head ....

Happy Trails
jimpugh

Your response is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the time you put into your response. It helps greatly!

I have both detectors. The weight of the CTX is manageable but heavy compared to the deus. As far as depth goes. Both units get you down there. The deus charges fully in 2 hours or less depending on charge. The CTX takes longer, but manages a charge for upteen hours. The deus is superior IMO on low conductors, whereas the CTX is superior on high conductors. Both units handle EMI well with the edge going to CTX. Separation- the deus wins hands down. Add the 6" coil to the ctx and they become very close. For manicured lawns the CTX gets the nod. For farm fields and relic sites the deus gets the nod. Both units have great disc. Both are great detectors. The deus is a joy to use with its light weight. The CTX is a very good machine to pull the silver that others have walked over and get great ID most of the time even at depth. The CTX when comparing to deus struggles with items smaller than coin size. For gold jewelry even chains the deus is superior for me over CTX. I like both of them but love the deus with its light weight.

Thank you Squirrel!

I have both too. The area the Deus wins would be lighter and better target separation with stock coils.

CTX waterproof big plus, much better beach detector I would say deeper with stock coils both charge fast have hunted about 6 hours with the CTX only showing 1/4 of battery life used.

If I had to go in a iron infested relic area with stock coils I would pick the Deus hands down.

For beach hunting and deep coins stock coil I would take the CTX.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Well duke I think u know my answer I have both machines and love them equally the same I think of them like kids, one may be good at art one may be good at football but u love them both the same !! Lol,, it's about havin the right tool for the job, the DEUS is lightning fast especially in the iron, but the ctx has better target I'd at depth, also the ctx has target trace and GPS and is waterproof, but with the antenna u can hunt water with the DEUS! Plus the DEUS hits hard on low conductors (gold) and you duke already know the ctx smashes the high conductors (those silvers buddy)!! Anyhow hope this helps I can do another comparison vid tell me what you want to see and ill upload it good buddy!

Thanks for getting back with me on that. I appreciate your opinion.

Because I like to experiment with different things, I sold my Deus to buy a CTX 3030. Although the 3030 is a beast of a machine, is waterproof, is easy enough to learn, has a great display and sounds, goes deep, and is an overall fantastic machine, I traded it back in for a Deus. Why? For me at least it was too heavy and caused my back to really hurt after a couple of hours. Not fun. My back is important as I have to live with it the rest of my life. I even used the Detector Buddy but unfortunately it wasn't enough. I realize that many people have no problem with the weight of the 3030, but for me it was simply too heavy and I'm no weakling. It's a shame as I really liked the 3030. Still, even if the 3030 was of average weight I would have gone back to a Deus since I only want one detector. After my experience with the 3030 it finally dawned on me that with the Deus I can dance, whereas with most other detectors I simply plod along. So now I have the Deus again and I'm all the more appreciative of it.