Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX3030 determining gold rings from aluminum junk like pop tops, pull tabs can slaw

pulltabfelix

Ok, I know the answer most likely be no it cannot be done. But does anyone have any combination of settings that can give an indication a 14 k ring under the coil is not aluminum junk?
I know on the Nox 800 you could easily keep aluminum junk from masking silver coins by hunting in 4k.

using different response settings or any other settings to give some clue to aluminum junk or 14k gold?

What you're asking for is tantamount to the detectorists equivalent to the holy grail, I'm afraid.
(....and masking high conductor silver targets with low/mid conductor aluminum isn't really the same thing as telling one low/mid conductor from another.)

If the aluminum junk is ragged enough, and has multiple edges/facets for the detector to 'see'....like mower chewed can slaw....then the TID numbers tend to be bouncy and inconsistent.
(And the target usually sounds more 'raspy/unclear'.)
And since the majority of aluminum junk tends to be 'ragged', that can certainly help.

BUT, if the aluminum junk is something smooth and (especially) ring-like....say an aluminum washer, for instance....it will look and sound exactly like a similar ring-like item made of gold.
It's just a cruel reality of detecting.

The best advice I can give is to try to hunt for rings where rings are lost.
Then focus on the cleaner/smoother sounding (and ID-ing) mid-conductors.

Good luck, and HH,
:)
mike

Edit:
It's no small irony that a long time ago, right after aluminum started to be made into things like dishes, aluminum was actually worth more than gold.
Now we call it trash....how times change!

You are right. I knew the answer, but was hoping some had the "Secret Sauce" for this problem.

What I am testing is attacking the problem via probabilities. Like you said, hunt where rings are found. Not near an ocean beach (4-5 hour one way drive). So lake beaches, volley ball courts, old baseball fields, totlots. Plus I have accumulated some pretty good numbers on Etrack and CTX TID's on probably over 150 gold rings. Put in spreadsheet and ran a graph of which ring TID's constituted the most in that sample. Now this is basically statistically speaking a small sample size, but it is all I could get. Ignore the "x" following the TID number on the bottom of the graph. It was just picked up from some of the text data and is meaningless for this analysis. So you see a vast majority of the found rings TID's fell between 12.1 - 12.3. Others have told me the higher weight of the larger rings push the TID numbers above 12.20.
gold ring ctx3030 etrac frequency graph.jpg

You are right. I knew the answer, but was hoping some had the "Secret Sauce" for this problem.

What I am testing is attacking the problem via probabilities. Like you said, hunt where rings are found. Not near an ocean beach (4-5 hour one way drive). So lake beaches, volley ball courts, old baseball fields, totlots. Plus I have accumulated some pretty good numbers on Etrack and CTX TID's on probably over 150 gold rings. Put in spreadsheet and ran a graph of which ring TID's constituted the most in that sample. Now this is basically statistically speaking a small sample size, but it is all I could get. Ignore the "x" following the TID number on the bottom of the graph. It was just picked up from some of the text data and is meaningless for this analysis. So you see a vast majority of the found rings TID's fell between 12.1 - 12.3. Others have told me the higher weight of the larger rings push the TID numbers above 12.20.
View attachment 27188
I think that most of the rings in your chart may have come from the beach...
Unless you are around a swimming area, the numbers that you find in sports fields, tot lots, and parks may be considerably different than your chart.

Agreed . location and dirt composition could change those numbers considerably. I have probably bagged 50 or 60 in highly alkaline Southwestern soils and if I plotted the signals it would look totally different than yours.

Agreed . location and dirt composition could change those numbers considerably. I have probably bagged 50 or 60 in highly alkaline Southwestern soils and if I plotted the signals it would look totally different than yours.
a sports field would seem to hold more men's rings which are larger and would have a higher number. At a swimming area I would think lower numbers like the chart
pulltabfelix posted would be more common as more ladies would be there.

Last edited:
I think that most of the rings in your chart may have come from the beach...
Unless you are around a swimming area, the numbers that you find in sports fields, tot lots, and parks may be considerably different than your chart.
You are probably right but I have to deal with where I can hunt. Sports fields are 100% locked up behind chain link fences in metro Atlanta. This started in the 80's when the illegal immigrants started flooding into metro Atlanta and they would absolutely tear up any sports field by over use. Thus the 8 foot high fences and locks started appearing and they are 100% totally off limits.

I do have a very large and popular lake north of us about 40 minutes. Can hunt the corp of Engineer public beaches and have access to all of the ad hoc private beaches where boaters pull up and swim and relax via my pontoon boat.

Lots of basketball courts, volleyball courts and totlots.

I want to teach dogs how to sniff out gold too. 😀
Funny you mentioned that. I tried with my beloved Brittany Spaniel. But he never got past finding hidden dog treats stage of the training. Maybe you would do better with a pig. They use them to find truffles which I have heard pound for pound are worth more than gold.

You are probably right but I have to deal with where I can hunt. Sports fields are 100% locked up behind chain link fences in metro Atlanta. This started in the 80's when the illegal immigrants started flooding into metro Atlanta and they would absolutely tear up any sports field by over use. Thus the 8 foot high fences and locks started appearing and they are 100% totally off limits.

I do have a very large and popular lake north of us about 40 minutes. Can hunt the corp of Engineer public beaches and have access to all of the ad hoc private beaches where boaters pull up and swim and relax via my pontoon boat.

Lots of basketball courts, volleyball courts and totlots.
@ Lots of basketball courts, volleyball courts and totlots.
We all have these and all are loaded with aluminum slaw and tabs. If there is a break thru in the ring program I have been working on I will contact you.
I hunt the same areas as you do but need more proof than 6 or so gold rings to pass it on to others as I did the magic program.