Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Culpeper horse shoes

rme

I found these 3 horse shoes under the dirt in Culpeper last year along with other Civil War items. Anyone want to take a stab at IDing age or any information on these ?
1.JPG
2 - .JPG
3 - .JPG

Well if you found them along with civil war artifacts, I would say they are likely from the same time period, but I’m no expert.
Looks like they have been in the ground for a very long time.

I dont know if you are around any ferriers or cowboys that still handle horses but they could tell you in an instant what horse you are looking at. I dug up a weird looking clasp like object that no one seemed to know too much about. I mentioned it to one of the older cowboys in the area and as soon as he saw it told me it was a snaffle bit for a work horse. Had to look it up and he was dead correct. He could tell by the width it was a large work horse like Percheron or Belgian. Im betting either could tell you era just looking at design and how made

Attachments

• 95ED85A8-1240-40C1-8402-A14EB683919A.jpeg
    95ED85A8-1240-40C1-8402-A14EB683919A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
A good farrier could give you the information you need. Horseshoes are still made the same way as centuries ago. These could be old or recent.