Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CURIOUS: Relic Hunters and 'Iron'.

Monte

It seems like we all can have our own descriptions for various pieces of equipment or descriptions of what we encounter afield.

Here is a simple Question. When Relic Hunting you will most likely encounter some different iron trash.

PLEASE LIST THE TOP FIVE "IRON OBJECTS" YOU ARE LIKELY TO ENCOUNTER.

Please put them in the order of severity with #1 as the most severe.

Monte

1. Square nails
2. Large irregular iron junk
3. Horseshoe frags
4. Kettle frags
5. Barrel band frags.
'Thank You'. I figured Iron Nails would be close to #1, and you better defined them as the older 'square nails. What do you consider to be "Large, irregular Iron hunk? Never heard anyone mention "barrel bands" or their fragmented parts.

Thanks for the reply.

Monte

1. Nails/bolts
2. Unidentifiable rusty blobs
3. Horse tack pieces
4. Plow/cultivator fragments
5. Horseshoes or pieces of

I know you didn’t ask about non-ferrous, but fragments of mason jar lids and shotgun shells are a constant annoyance.

1. Nails and tacks
2. Nuts and bolts
3. Fragments of "tin" cans
4. various sizes of wire
5. Machinery parts

Note: Some new shotgun shells use steel for the base, it VIDs as 3 on my Racer 2 and in some places where I live could be #1,

1. Nails/bolts
2. Unidentifiable rusty blobs
3. Horse tack pieces
4. Plow/cultivator fragments
5. Horseshoes or pieces of

I know you didn’t ask about non-ferrous, but fragments of mason jar lids and shotgun shells are a constant annoyance.
Or 22 brass & bullets

I am primarily a relic hunter and depending on where I hunt, I find different things made of iron.
Mount or forest:
iron wedges for handles
pieces of horseshoes
antique nails
Unidentified Irons
bullets

Farm fields:
plow fragments
antique and modern nails
wires
bullets

All of the above. I can usually tell when my coil is over iron but the one that drives me nuts is the deep kettle fragments. They do sound good. Half the time I know it is a deep kettle fragment, but I have to dig it anyway.