Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cutlass II µMAX

Fletch88

Looking at a pristine Cutlass II µMAX online at a pretty good price. Opinions of this model? It looks just like a Silver µMAX with numbers instead of items on disc knob and a 2 way switch on the left with only disc or AM, not a 3 way switch. I assume the battery check is a long beeeeeeep at startup like a Bandido µMAX? I do not need another machine but something about the look and feel of old Tesoro's makes me want one of each!

I remember reading an article about 12 years ago where the Cutless II Umax was included (as an afterthought) in a comparison test with multi frequency detectors in wet sand at a saltwater beach, and the Cutless II compared very well. Not suggesting that you ought to buy it for that purpose, but I believe it was a pretty good machine, considering it has pre set ground balance.

The Cutlass II µMAX is a nice detector. However, I believe it does not have a true threshold based all metal mode. You are correct, it's very similar to the Silver µMAX that is currently sold by Tesoro.

I believe the Silver was brought out to replace the Cutlass II.
BB

"entry level" detector, just as the Silver µMAX is today. Matter of fact, the current Silver µMAX was essentially a modest change of the Cutlass II µMAX, and the Silver µMAX was basically a marketing move to offer a new model with adjustments similar to the 'original' Silver Sabre. The Cutlass II µMAX and Silver µMAX work like each other.

Fletch88 said:
Looking at a pristine Cutlass II µMAX online at a pretty good price. Opinions of this model? It looks just like a Silver µMAX with numbers instead of items on disc knob and a 2 way switch on the left with only disc or AM, not a 3 way switch. I assume the battery check is a long beeeeeeep at startup like a Bandido µMAX? I do not need another machine but something about the look and feel of old Tesoro's makes me want one of each!

Little differences, such as the battery check, but they are alike. Both have a selector setting labeled "All Metal," but it is simply a silent-search, motion-based Discriminate setting at a 'about' a zero Disc. setting to allow a response from almost All Metal targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, but it does require motion. Both the Silver µMAX and Cutlass II µMAX lack the true, conventional, Threshold-based All Metal search mode that is handy for Pinpointing a target, and also for sizing and shaping a target.

Monte