Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-3D Sensitivity Setting

mike5853

I have a few new detectors, but have always liked the CZ-3D and was wondering why, it seems, most set the CZ-3D sensitivity setting to "just before 5" for some reason. I would think you would see settings like 7, 8, . . . Is there something magic about this setting? Hoping to get one of these sometime next Spring.

Mike,
Setting the sensitivity too high causes false signals.

With some detectors I've had, a high sensitivity can make a little bit of chatter but not something that sounds like a solid hit when sweeping the coil. With a CZ, if the sensitivity is set too high, it produces false hits that can sound good but are not very repeatable. It is very annoying hunting with a falsing CZ. Run a CZ quiet, don't sweep it too fast and it can be a real killer on targets.
Cheers,
tvr

Yes it does seem strange with a high sens. of 10 approx. 5 is the tops while keeping a stable unit. As approx.5 seems to be the norm depending upon the area you are hunting I always start out with a higher
number and many times you can exceed the 5 to perhaps 6 with little chatter to get the max depth. TVR post covered it quite well....

Well Tom D. says that the CZ-3D at 4.8 Sens. is Max. Depth at coil diameter. Any higher sens. just increases the Diameter of the signal,But not the depth of the signal so all you are getting past 4.8 is a little more coverage if that make any sense.

Fisher seems to make machines that can be pushed past the limit and need to be run at less than flat out. This has caused criticism that they are too noisy and EMI prone. It seems logical to set up a test and see where optimum settings are for ones machine, yet almost no one seems to be doing this. How many play with the sensitivity on targets before they dig to see where it sounds best and where it disappears? I know I get buck fever and just dig way too often.
Tom

Thanks for the feedback and explanations. I had the opportunity to use an F75, original version, for about 4 days. The chattering drove me crazy. I was so use to turning up my MXT to 80% or more, so I stopped using the F75 - didn't realize how good it really was, even at lower sens settings. I'm getting an F75 in a few weeks then the CZ3D. I'm sure I'll appreciate them with this better understanding of how Fisher detectors work. Thanks again for the help.

Finding your the best sens level is not difficult, but all machines are a bit unique and conditions vary so while in general 4.8 is a great starting place and may well be the optimum setting it should be close. Go up a little then down a little over a target and play better/worse like at the optometrist office. It can vary from day to day and by soil, moisture, EMI. It could be you have a unit that goes to 7 before it runs like 4.8 on other units. That happens. So what? It still is a killer machine, equally good. Find your sweet spot and :detecting:.

pasttom said:
Finding your the best sens level is not difficult, but all machines are a bit unique and conditions vary so while in general 4.8 is a great starting place and may well be the optimum setting it should be close. Go up a little then down a little over a target and play better/worse like at the optometrist office. It can vary from day to day and by soil, moisture, EMI. It could be you have a unit that goes to 7 before it runs like 4.8 on other units. That happens. So what? It still is a killer machine, equally good. Find your sweet spot and :detecting:.

great post. find out what your machine will and will not do.

My cz-3d, hits stif at 12 inches on 5 sensitivity. It goes deeper but I never find anything deeper than a foot. The cz is my new favorite machine. Can really pick stuff out of the trash I ran it notching out pull tabs and foil because I knew no gold was in the park I was hunting in and it really knocred the trash right out I was basically only getting the coins. Even nickels identify well so it's nice, nickels are worth more than a zinc so I'd rather dig a billion of them.

Ditto what the guys above stated, they know their 3d's.
The cz3d's sens does maxes out just below 5.
Higher seems to make the sides of the coil reach out so to speak and give a false high signal around iron. Also the signal gets louder in a higher sens, not more sensetive. You can run it high, ya just have to get use to it.

upt, the 3d doesn't have the notch feature, just disc. Notch is where you can pick indivudual or multiple metals to be silent. In other words with notch, you can disc out say zinc and keep in foil and any combination of metals, in or out.

Disc on the 3d, everthing to the left of the knobs white line, will be silent.

Many reccomend, including myself, (old coin hunting, turf) to run the 3d, 0 disc, sens no less than 4.5 or more if you like, enhanced mode, GB spot on, volume, your preference.

The cz likes iron and will high tone false if the iron isn't directly under the center of the coil. If you disc out iron, you won't hear the iron grunts, you'll hear the high falses and want to dig them.

Using the settings above - Center the target under the coil and walk around the tarket while sweeping, if you get several grunts even a small percentage compared to high tones around the target, it's usually iron. If there is a coin, the 3d will have that nice high tone around the target. The 3d is not near the best for unmasking..do some tests. It does however excell in med to low target areas. Great unit, quiet, deep, chest or hip mountable....I'll always have one for the ready.

It helps to remember that nails and similar objects high tone off the point so checking from different angles helps to eliminate them.

pasttom said:
It helps to remember that nails and similar objects high tone off the point so checking from different angles helps to eliminate them.

ive only got one nail and it was the faintest possible signal ever, so i knew it was deep turned out to be a 12 inch deep nail with a dime next to it.

u2robert said:
Would the sensitivity setting of 4.8 be the same on a CZ5, CZ6a?

robert someone here with more knowledge will chime in on your Q but you can also go to Tom's site and ask him directly. He can even give you the why and how's of it lol. HH