Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-3D - The Second Time Around...:thumbup:

marcomo

I had a Dankowsk1 calibrated cz-3d last year, but I threw in the towel after a couple months.

The slower optimum sweep speed was a negative for me, but the biggest issue was the iron falsing.

But the detector kept calling me back. The depth, the enhanced mode and nickels in high tone were all positives that led me to cz-3d #2.

My second cz-3d has now found me some good seconds - my second Barber Quarter and my second and third Standing Libertys both in the same hole. The "d" and "s" mintmarks would have been fortunate, unfortunately no dates.

The one 1920 token looking item that says Modern Health Crusader is kind of interesting. I found out that was a campaign aimed at school kids to prevent the spread of TB. It's actually a pin with the pinback missing.

I've had the detector a couple weeks now and I've been digging a lot of intentional nails to educate myself. So far I've only had two digs that I called nail that turned out to be coins. One was the rosie in the pic below.

I've had more digs that I thought were coins turn out to be nails, but still almost always coin (or some other high conductor) when I thought coin.

There are definitely a good percentage of spots where I'm going to use this detector instead of my AT Pro.

I think the CZ's really up the odds on finding good coins. They are amazing compared to some of the detectors I used back in the 1970's and 80's...:)

Is the second 3D a TD one? New or 1021/1121?

If that rusty nail thing is bothering you google Mikes CZ page as it has a lot of info...My first CZ6 I dug 8 deep rusty mails in a row and wanted to wrap it around a tree now
years later rarely dig one but do get fooled now and then...time in the field..experience and Mikes tips will really help.....

When hunting set the disc to 0. When I get a high tone but think it might be iron, I swing the coil while rotating around the target, if I get more than a couple iron blips I pass on it(unless I'm hunting relics). It will either be iron or low conductor junk. This is discussed in T.D's. video series. Using this method I still occasionally get fooled by bent nails, but it eliminates a lot of iron trash. .

What Sqwaby said is spot on. I will work a 360 degree turn around the target while swinging the coil and if it falses anytime it is usually junk, but if it high-tones dig that target. I have had a cz-3d since 2007 and like it so well that i bought another one (1021) off of tmanly last july. Have been detecting since 1972 and this detector fits my type of hunting best. Just remember to swing slow and think about a 5" coil for those trashy spots. Mike.

My cz also high tones a lot on iron nails. Sqwaby said it, if it low tones when you hit it from a different position, it's iron. It does slow you down. Dig a few dozen and you will be convinced. On occasion, a deep nail will high tone 360 degrees, I'm talking 9 -11 inches deep. The nail will usually be in the side of the hole, many times with the point sticking barley into the hole.
Once ya get used to it, it won't collect dust. I really like it for low- mid trash areas. Farm fields, the cz is my choice.

Reeseb, it's a 1021 Tom Tuned to the 8" coil at 12.0.

Mike from IL, I don't see myself getting a 5" coil for it. My experience, that numerous skilled cz-3d users seem to agree with, is that the strength of this unit is not in high trash areas. Also T.D. says a lot of the 5" coils do not perform up to "design intent" - impedence is off resulting in inaccurate ID - so getting a good one can be a crapshoot.

All the tips and observations given are appreciated, thank you!

Marcomo The reason i suggested the 5" coil is i have been working an old campmeeting ground for the last 4 or 5 yrs. One area is littered with a lot of square nails and small pieces of iron. I first worked this area with my 8' Coil and could not swing the detector without getting multiple hits, put on the 5' and was able to get in between some of the junk and managed to pull out some nice old coins. Just this spring in this area i have pulled a two-cent piece, 2 shield nickels, 3 indians, and a real nice gold ring. But i swing the detector at the speed of a turtle and grid off the area. I know this type of hunting may not be for everyone. Mike

Mike - Obviously you have both the skill and the patience needed to find the tough stuff, those are some nice finds.

Truth be told, I may at some point get an up to spec little cz coil because in some areas I prefer not to have an extra detector in the car when it's not within eyeshot.

Nice finds. I love my CZ's. I have found a lot of coins & CW relics with them.

marcomo said:
There are definitely a good percentage of spots where I'm going to use this detector instead of my AT Pro.

Just curious as to which spots you think the CZ will be better than the AT.

w

Older areas where the trash (especially iron) is not too heavy.

The CZ is deeper, the AT handles iron better.

dont let all those iron signals fool you, i dig some deep coppers when theres a hint of iron in the target, with every 10 passes side to side -forward and back
you get one blurp to 10 deep deep solid " hightone tinks" then its usually something good. i hunt mostly cellarholes and have been using the same 3D
for 9yrs at these places, all 3 coils have produced a vast variety of gold, coppers and silver. the slow hunt speed is critical for finding what others have missed.
my machine runs pretty hot, had it in the shop once 4yrs ago with a note stateing to fix everything no matter the cost, got it back with a rattle , speaker was loose, and some screw holding the board to the faceplate was gone,...gee thanks fisher... but i openned her up and cobbed things correctly. its my main machine, wouldnt trade it for anything. deep iron is sometimes a problem, unless its a nice axehead, but nails in the side of the hole with the head up"
is just the nature of the beast sometimes, the oxidation on some of them just make em sound too good not to dig. indianheads will ring in as pulltab sometimes depending on ground conditions.