Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-3Ds - Yes They Do Go Deeeeep!

Altamaha

I own two CZ-3D 1021s (one tuned by Tom Dankowski), so for the last couple weeks I decided to take them out to an old park in town to see what I could find. I have regularly hunted (systematically gridded) this park with both my E-Trac and CTX 3030 to the point where I was mostly coming up empty when using them there.

The first day out at this park with the CZ-3D (Tom D, certified) I started off (ground balanced, discrimination = 0, enhanced mode, sensitivity = 4.5, volume = 6) under a big tree that I and I'm sure others have worked many times with a variety of metal detectors. It wasn't long before surprisingly I got a faint, but clear and repeatable high tone signal (out of pinpoint range). I cut a deep plug and the target was still in the hole. Finally after removing more dirt to a depth of around ten inches I saw a silver disk at the bottom of the hole which turned out to be a 1906 Barber dime. I couldn't believe it, The CZ-3D (with 8 inch coil) had detected this coin which I had missed many times with both my E-Trac and CTX-3030. As I continued I found several wheat backs in the 6-8 inch range, then I got another faint but clear repeatable high tone (again out of pinpoint range). This turned out to be a sterling silver religious metal (around quarter size) at a little over ten inches deep. Again the Hot Rod CZ-3D had found this piece of silver which had eluded many other detectors/detectorists. Needless to say I was quite pleased with my success with the CZ-3D in this "hunted out park". It was getting late so I headed for home.

The next day after the previous days success with the CZ I couldn't wait to go back and try my luck again. This time though I decided to take my other CZ-3D (not Tom D certified). I have air tested both of these machines and in terms of depth, have found them to be about equal in detecting a dime at a little over 12 inches, but it will be interesting to see if I can discern any idiosyncrasies between them.

I started off the next day in the area where I had found the religious metal the previous day. I found pennies including a few wheat backs at good depths. I then got a clear deep high tone, faint but clear and repeatable in an X pattern. This signal also was beyond the depth meter's range, so I dug a plug and finally after some time I saw a shiny silver disk in the bottom of the hole on the side. at around ten inches, these CZ-3Ds are amazing. The coin turn out to be a silver Washington quarter pulled out by the CZ form under nearly a foot of fill. After detecting a while longer I got a sweet high tone which pegged the depth meter on pinpointing it. This target turned out to be a beautiful sterling silver WWII bombardiers badge at over 8 inches deep. I was elated. Again getting late so I took off home.

This was becoming addictive now and I would surely be back at the park trying my luck with the CZ the next day. To keep things balanced I switched back to the Tom Dankowski certified CZ for this trip to the park. Upon starting I found a few memorials, plus a few wheats and then three nickles in a row as high tones, I had forgotten about this feature of the 3D, Wow. After being spoiled the last two hunts I wanted silver. I hunted for the next hour and found a few more memorials and then finally heard a clear deep repeatable high tone. I was hoping silver. Pinpoint pegged the depth meter at the 8 inch mark, so I wasted no time digging a plug. The target was deep so it took some time to retrieve it. Smiles, I finally saw the glint of silver in the dark soil which turned out to be another nice sterling silver religious medal (at least I initially thought). Further inspection at home showed the metal to be heavy silver plated.

.Having found more silver (at lease I though I had) I now felt much better, but It would still be nice to pull just one more of those deep silver coins for the day. It was getting late so I didn't have that much more time to detect. I was intently listening for faint deep repeatable clear signals. Oops, finally a very faint high tone which repeated at 90 degrees. It was out of pinpoint & depth reading range but it was clearly there. I dug a plug and started to remove dirt. At over ten inches down i started to think that this just might be a big piece of iron, but I wasn't going to give up. Finally at a full foot out popped this heavy clump of dirt, After removing the dirt I saw what looked like a huge finger ring, but the person who wore this thing would have to be a giant, and that's exactly what it is a souvenir ring sold in the 1930s at a Barnum & Bailey circus side show for the giant Jack Earle, who was 8ft,6-1/2 inches tall.

I found one more very deep repeatable target before leaving for the day, which turned out to be an old keg spout at over a foot deep!

Amazing what we find and learn from using metal detectors.

So now that snow is on the ground I'll have to wait until Spring to further hunt my newly opened up "hunted out" park :)

Absolutely great write-up! I enjoyed it. Those were some super deep finds! The CZ 3D...as well as most CZ's...will find the deep stuff. Good job!

Charles

Al enjoyed the read, great finds! In the small amount of time I've had mine I've pulled in three silvers...one being the 1876 seated dime. I really like how you can pick apart the keepers in the trash.

One of my favorite finds of all times was with my new, stock CZ3d. It gave me that faint signal we all love and I started digging. Probably at about 8 inches I started to give up. I went over the hole again and it just sounded too good to quit. Dug down till about 10 inches and was going to quit. Checked it again and decided to go one more scoop as deep as I could get. Checked the hole and the target was gone. Went to the dirt pile and nearly had my headphones blown off. Sorting through the dirt I found a large disc and when I turned it over I saw engraving. Once I caught that the engraving was regimental and company numbers I was done for the day. Rushed home and discovered that I had found an Ohio veteran's medal. I was able to locate "my soldier" and follow him through the war with the info on the medal. One of my "great finds" and so deep I almost gave up twice. Now I am toting a 1021 with a Dankowski sticker. I always have fun with my CZ.

Don

Nice finds and great stories. I had a Tom D. tweaked CZ3D and loved it, but it was a newer one and only rated at 9.3". So I sold it with plans to find a 1021 series or a deep certified one from Tom. I'll be socking away some dough and looking for one before spring. I think it will compliment my Deus perfectly.

Cz's are still the top dog period.

Great reads fellas.There is no substitute for a properly working stable CZ.To this day I can honestly say my best finds have been with a CZ.And if you get one thats hot and have "Nasa Tom" tune it,you have one of the best detectors made,old or new.There is no denying when you hear that faint tight high tone you are sure to dig something nice.I have some nice new leads this spring and you can bet one of my CZ's will be there.

Tajue17 said:
who is this Tom D guy and does he sell CZ's?

Tom D does not sell CZ's.He validates/calibrates/certifies and if needed cleans the internals.He then gives you his results of the clad dime test in his florida dirt and other tweeks.Finally he applies a small sticker on bottom of unit noting depth,stability,etc.Well worth his reasonable fee IMO.My CZ's operate so much better when he finishes them and yours will too.

DetectorCollector said:
Tajue17 said:

Tom D does not sell CZ's.He validates/calibrates/certifies and if needed cleans the internals.He then gives you his results of the clad dime test in his florida dirt and other tweeks.Finally he applies a small sticker on bottom of unit noting depth,stability,etc.Well worth his reasonable fee IMO.My CZ's operate so much better when he finishes them and yours will too.

Hi DetectorCollector;

Just noticed that you have a Tom tuned CZ-70 Pro. I thought he wouldn't tune them (CZ-70 Pros, from what I've heard) because they're weather proofed and he doesn't have the parts once taken apart to restore them to weather proof condition. I have two pristine 112 serial CZ-70s and surely would like to have him tune them, so it's nice to hear that he does indeed tune the CZ-70s!

Thanks,

Altamaha HH

Altamaha said:
DetectorCollector said:
Tajue17 said:

Hi DetectorCollector;

Just noticed that you have a Tom tuned CZ-70 Pro. I thought he wouldn't tune them (CZ-70 Pros, from what I've heard) because they're weather proofed and he doesn't have the parts once taken apart to restore them to weather proof condition. I have two pristine 112 serial CZ-70s and surely would like to have him tune them, so it's nice to hear that he does indeed tune the CZ-70s!

Thanks,

Altamaha HH

I bought this one.I did not send it to Tom personally.When I did send Tom an email asking if he tuned the digital CZ's he did not respond.The person I bought it from stated that Tom told him he rarely tunes them but did verify that he tuned mine.

Has anyone done any depth testing between the hot CZ3ds against the F75LTDs ? Probably not fair testing a 2 freq. machine against a 1 freq. detector. Just curious which is deeper. Mark

I have a newer CZ-3D and I am pleased with it's depth & performance with the stock 8" concentric coil. I also have bought the 10.5" coil for it and it makes it a front heavy machine but the depth is awesome. I recently bought a F75 LTD SE and I in the process of learning the capabilities and limitations of it before I can do a good comparison between the two. I will be sending the CZ-3d to NASA Tom for a calibration/validation/certification which will not void the warranty.

Texas ED

Don't think You Have to have a 1021 if you want a Hot CZ-3D as I have a First Texas CZ-3D that Tom validated to 12.1'' on a Dime. So they are out there. If used try to get the Guy to Air Test it with the Tom D. Parameter's. If it is over 11'' it is a Good one and Can Be tweeked a little more by Tom D. usually to get 12'' or close to it as mine was at 11.5'' when I sent it in. The reason I sent it though was catergory's were Off in enhanced Mode as Depth wise it was still a Beast! I didn't expect much more But got it.

Thanks for sharing that! The CZ-3D (Los Banos) has been on my "to find and buy list" for many years now. I have the CZ-6, and spoke to Tom at length about getting the full calibration/validation/certification, however, he has run into some mechanical issues with a few other attempts on the CZ-6. However he suggested that I send it anyhow, and I may just do it (amazing shape but its old) to bring it up to spec. But I am still on the "lookout" for that Los Banos CZ-3D!!

Not only are they deep but compare them to all other detectors in target separation.
Not a nail board test but real scenario where nail is in the ground above and to the side of the coin by a couple inches.
My cz's beat everything I own,and is the only that hit positively.
Most get just iron tone with no hint of a high conductor.
Cz no problem,it id's both.