Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ 5 Old Coin Conversion

Bryan V

I would like to hear from anyone who has had there CZ 5 converted to CZ 3d "Old Coin" status by Tom D.
I mostly understand what the conversion does but I want to know if there down sides to the conversion.
Do you wish you kept your CZ 5 stock? Or are you thrilled with your conversion?
I'm not sure how this conversion will react to modern trash.
I hunt a lot of old parks and schools.
Thanks,
Bryan

In my limited experience, it did not make a lot of difference and there was no down side. My CZ 5 ran better- just seemed crisper and a bit deeper. I did not do exact testing on it and my response is very subjective. I could not have been happier with the overall experience dealing with Mr. D. He is a gentleman and super knowledgeable about detecting and detectors in general and CZ specifically. His turn around time was very fast, too. This was 3 to 4 years ago, but I keep up on his forum and things have not changed. I have since upgraded to a full CZ3D and can't see being without one (until the new one comes out?).

My CZ 5 is at Tom's house right now.
He just performed the inspection, cleaning and tune up.
He's holding it for me until I decide If want to convert to the old coins status like the 3d.
Not sure what to do.
Bryan

Bryan V said:
My CZ 5 is at Tom's house right now.
He just performed the inspection, cleaning and tune up.
He's holding it for me until I decide If want to convert to the old coins status like the 3d.
Not sure what to do.
Bryan
If you are detecting mostly older sites and homesteads(pre 1950) I would recommend the upgrade.If you are detecting newer parks and the like I would leave it the way it is.The CZ-3D was made specifically for older sites.Using it at post 1950 sites in the 'enhanced' mode could actually have adverse effect.I bought my first CZ-5 back in late 92 when they first came out and it is still my favorite coin shooter along with the 3D.I own and use 25 top of the line detectors to date and love them all,but for simplicity and 'raw' depth the CZ,s have no equal IMO.I have 6 Cz-5s and have sent 2 off to Tom so far.I just bought a converted (by Tom)CZ-5 to 3D specs and await its arrival.I will be sending my remaining 4 CZ,S to Tom and let him decide if they are worthy of the 'old coins' upgrade.Good luck with your CZ I love mine and will never part with any of them.

Digging the 50's range numbers at old, old sites found the odd ball silver coins of old.

I also found Ground Balancing often in my soil made the machine more accurate. I still dug a lot of small nails and iron that read as a high coin range.

Thanks for the input.
I decided not to get the conversion even though Tom said it was worthy of the conversion if I wanted to have it done.
I will use it at old sites specifically for old coin hunting but my old sites are littered with modern trash.
I primarily hunt old parks and schools with an occasional private home.
My thinking is if I get a mid tone signal I can decide to dig it depending on depth or conditions of that particular site.
That's how I run my CTX. If my old coins are running 5" and deeper I'm digging all mid tones at that depth too.
Bryan

Bryan V said:
Thanks for the input.
I decided not to get the conversion even though Tom said it was worthy of the conversion if I wanted to have it done.
I will use it at old sites specifically for old coin hunting but my old sites are littered with modern trash.
I primarily hunt old parks and schools with an occasional private home.
My thinking is if I get a mid tone signal I can decide to dig it depending on depth or conditions of that particular site.
That's how I run my CTX. If my old coins are running 5" and deeper I'm digging all mid tones at that depth too.
Bryan
Hey Bryan how did your CZ do on the dime test before and after Tom calibrated it?Thanks.

He took it from a 11.9 to a 12.1
Several of the calibrations were off but not by a lot.
Tom did a lot of cleaning, stabilizing, tightening, tuning and boosting.
He provides a great service. It's a much more detailed than I expected.
There were around 15 different things done to my CZ-5.
I have not had a chance to fire it up yet.
Just got it back this afternoon.
I was very pleased to hear it was a 12+ unit.
He said "this unit is a real performer"
Bryan

Bryan V said:
He took it from a 11.9 to a 12.1
Several of the calibrations were off but not by a lot.
Tom did a lot of cleaning, stabilizing, tightening, tuning and boosting.
He provides a great service. It's a much more detailed than I expected.
There were around 15 different things done to my CZ-5.
I have not had a chance to fire it up yet.
Just got it back this afternoon.
I was very pleased to hear it was a 12+ unit.
He said "this unit is a real performer"
Bryan
You definitely have a good one there.The best one I have is 11.4" which he converted to 3D specs.My other is only 10.7".They are both like brand new though, no wear what so ever.I'm sending him off another one next week and and hoping it gets 12".I will find one someday thats super "hot".If I were you I would never get rid of that one.Good luck with it and HH.