Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-70 Pro Evaluation

twcook

My hunting area is a salt water beach with black sand, sometimes in very large concentrated amounts.
I only want to hunt the dry sand, wet sand and maybe almost knee deep in the surf.
I was thinking about a CZ 21 but now I am thinking that a CZ 70 Pro may be the best value for me since I am not going to scuba or dive with it.

Thoughts, experiences? My budget suits a 70 much better and it seems to me that they use the same technology, the dual-freq. VLF at 5khz and 15khz.

Thanks,
Tim

Sarge:

As long as you don't get splashed......... it will work.

twcook said:
I only want to hunt the dry sand, wet sand and maybe almost knee deep in the surf.

Tim,
Yes, it's the same tech...but as Elton said, don't let it get splashed or dropped...even a little.

There's nothing remotely water proof/resistant about the 70 around salt water...and detector electronics don't respond well to salt water...even a tiny bit.
At best, it can handle a few raindrops.
:)
Good Luck, and
hh,
mike

trojdor said:
twcook said:

Tim,
Yes, it's the same tech...but as Elton said, don't let it get splashed or dropped...even a little.

There's nothing remotely water proof/resistant about the 70 around salt water...and detector electronics don't respond well to salt water...even a tiny bit.
At best, it can handle a few raindrops.
Good Luck, and
hh,
mike

Hmmm, the documentation says it is rain proof / splash proof. So if you don't mind me asking; is this personal experience? Do you/have you owned one?

Thanks.

Another thing you may want to think about is that if anything ever does go wrong with them, there are no parts to repair them! You can call the Fisher service dept. and they will tell you the same thing.

Indeed it was advertised as rain proof / splash proof but should be alright as long as you have the female headphone port plugged up or a pair of headphones plugged in..
Saltwater and even air is caustic so clean with freshwater rag after every use....

twcook said:
Hmmm, the documentation says it is rain proof / splash proof. So if you don't mind me asking; is this personal experience? Do you/have you owned one?
Thanks.

Indeed. But rain/splash proof doesn't mean waterproof. It can't be dropped and dunked. Ever. Even for only a few seconds.

And I don't mind you asking, at all:
Yes, this is from personal experience.
Yes, I currently own one.
Yes, I've owned several others.
I wouldn't be telling you this if I didn't already know...I have neither the time nor the energy to make this stuff up.

Dan-Pa. used the proper term when he called Saltwater and even Saltwater ocean breezes 'Caustic'.
Even the aluminum shaft will corrode from exposure to saltwater, if not cleaned off regularly.

pine3874 gave you good info, as well, to warn you that if it gets 'borked', it can't be fixed by Fisher anymore.

You said, "I only want to hunt the dry sand, wet sand and maybe almost knee deep in the surf."

I predict the dry sand will be just fine...the wet sand also fine...knee deep in the surf may not end well.
It only takes one slip...and I don't care how fast you pull it out of the drink...and, yes again, from personal experience. :)

mike

Thanks for the details Mike (and everyone else).
I guess I am still in the market for a CZ 21 then.

I currently use a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2 in the dry sand here and I know about salt air being caustic.
My apartment faces the beach. :)

Always been debateable rain/splash proof .....some guys washed them off with a hose with no problems while others had problems hunting in the rain....all depends on the rubbers holding the parts together and the efficiency or lack of...have to agree if you are going to wade get the CZ21.....

Dan-Pa. said:
Always been debateable rain/splash proof .....some guys washed them off with a hose with no problems while others had problems hunting in the rain....all depends on the rubbers holding the parts together and the efficiency or lack of...have to agree if you are going to wade get the CZ21.....

Same is for CZ21. When is the need for service? Once a year, once in two years?
To be sure you have to send it in for service and they'll check the gaskets, too.

twcook said:
Thanks for the details Mike (and everyone else).
I currently use a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2 in the dry sand here and I know about salt air being caustic.
My apartment faces the beach. :)

You are most welcome. :thumbup:

Have fun, and find lots more gold jewelry!

mike

I have used CZ70 Pro's for the past 16 years and they are an awesome machine but I would not recommend hunting in the salt water with it. It is just too easy for it to get wet by a rogue wave or just simply dropping it in the water. I also used the CZ-21 for many years and it is a superb water machine. It may cost a bit more but you will be very happy you bought a machine you can just drop in the water when you get a signal. One accident with the CZ 70 in the water and any savings from buying it instead of the CZ-21 would be quickly negated. HH

Elton said:
Sarge:

As long as you don't get splashed......... it will work.

The CZ70 is advertised as "splash proof" and rain proof as well. It has a water seal on the control housing :thumbup:

Cal_Cobra said:
The CZ70 is advertised as "splash proof" and rain proof as well. It has a water seal on the control housing :thumbup:

Yes, but also good to note, was that a large batch of CZ-70s were made with improper tolerances on the control box housing...making them somewhat less than splash proof and more than slightly 'leaky'.
Some cases don't completely close due to the double stack internal pc boards having too long of a separator 'stand-off' between them, if my memory is correct.
Unfortunately, it tends to be the 'good' serial numbers as far as performance goes.

Again, if I recall correctly, (I'd have to look at my notes) that in addition to the noticeable gap, you can tend to spot them because the front membrane switch decal tends to not line up properly, and peels on one of the front corners.
If you look closely on those models, you can actually see the gap between the upper and lower housing...visible from the front.

Otherwise, they still worked great.
mike

trojdor said:
Cal_Cobra said:

Yes, but also good to note, was that a large batch of CZ-70s were made with improper tolerances on the control box housing...making them somewhat less than splash proof and more than slightly 'leaky'.
Some cases don't completely close due to the double stack internal pc boards having too long of a separator 'stand-off' between them, if my memory is correct.
Unfortunately, it tends to be the 'good' serial numbers as far as performance goes.

Again, if I recall correctly, (I'd have to look at my notes) that in addition to the noticeable gap, you can tend to spot them because the front membrane switch decal tends to not line up properly, and peels on one of the front corners.
If you look closely on those models, you can actually see the gap between the upper and lower housing...visible from the front.

Otherwise, they still worked great.
mike

Hi Mike,

I am aware of the supposedly good CZ3D (1021) serial numbers, but which serial numbers are considered "good ones" for the CZ70s. I am considering purchasing one!

Thanks,
HH

My quick 2cents, an Excalibur is on way to go at the beach. I love my CZ-70 but have seen what even salt air can do. Rust coil connector, sping and case screws as well anything inside over time. Excalibur goes in nearest beach shower headphone and all and 17 frequency is tough to bet in any sand. I don't have any time with Fishers machines, I do know Minelabs Excals are the weapon of choice my most.

Altamaha said:
Hi Mike,

I am aware of the supposedly good CZ3D (1021) serial numbers, but which serial numbers are considered "good ones" for the CZ70s. I am considering purchasing one!

Thanks,
HH

Altamaha,
The CZ70s made with the 1129 serials are considered to be more stable/hotter. The earlier 1029 are typically less desirable.
Many collectors/fans simply call them the '112' series, and leave off the 9.

The 3Ds and the 70s are still awesome/pinnacle detectors....all these years later can still 'deliver the goods'.

Anyone who hunts coins/jewelry should have at least one. :)

mike

trojdor said:
Altamaha said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks,
HH

Altamaha,
The CZ70s made with the 1129 serials are considered to be more stable/hotter. The earlier 1029 are typically less desirable.
Many collectors/fans simply call them the '112' series, and leave off the 9.

The 3Ds and the 70s are still awesome/pinnacle detectors....all these years later can still 'deliver the goods'.

Anyone who hunts coins/jewelry should have at least one. :)

mike

Thanks Mike.

HH

I'm VACATIONING in Florida on Both COASTS, so ANYONE INTERESTED in SEEING/TEST Driving MY EXCELLENT Condition CZ-21 with 8" COIL/COVER can CALL ME on MY
Cell for (302) 354-5661, anytime between 11am and Midnight!! DO N-O-T TEXT ME, YOU must CALL, and I can CALL YOU back!! Les Robinson.