Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ coil covers?

u2robert

Do you use a coil cover on your CZ coils? the CZ coils are so well made wouldn't it take forever to wear 1 out? The newer units lets say the Equinox coils I think you could wear 1 of those coils out in a day without a cover, but they are lite and easy to swing.

I have not used coil covers for many years now. If I see any significant wear on a coil, I'll clean it up well and put a coat of marine epoxy on it. I don't scrub the coils on the ground much, but do feel for the ground when in the water. I have very few coils that have needed a coating of epoxy.

Why did I stop using covers? One one beach trip I had spent a lot of time using my CZ6A and getting the coil wet, as well as hunting just the dry and wet sand, and not finding a lot. The coil and shaft were rinsed after each day's use. When I got home, I did some air tests and was not detecting a nickle unless it was nearly touching the coil. It wasn't as bad with pennies and quarters but not anywhere near the detection distance that I expected. Then I took the coil cover off; out came a lot of black sand. Testing the nickle then got a good 10 to 11 inches. Have not used a coil cover since.

That's a good reason for no using 1. I went detecting the other day using a CZ detector that's new to me and before I left I put on a coil cover the coil is like new after coming home I went to take the coil cover off to rinse the coil and clean the cover always do this before I put the detector up, I could not get the cover off for nothing I didn't want to pry the cover with anything so I put on a pair of gloves and literally ripped the cover in two to get it off the coil the other half was still on the coil could not believe it. I've owned probably 10 CZ detectors in my life and never had this problem before.

When I had covers on ... putting the coil in warm water sometimes would expand the coil cover more than the coil and let the cover be removed. Other times I would use a wooden paint stirrer and a hammer. Put the paint stirrer on the edge of the cover and tap the stirrer with the hammer. Move the stirrer to another part of the coil and tap and keep repeating until the cover comes off.

tvr method works and is tedious but cover removes intact...Considering how tight it fits does accumulate dirt under cover...

Same here. Last time at the beach I had to break it off. Found my depth was getting bad so tried to take it off. Wouldn't budge. Found a giant nail detecting and used that to pry then snap apart. 2 hour hunt was all it took to load up a very snug cover with black sand. No more coil covers for me.

When I had my old CZ units I would get a tube of white silicone sealant and carefully do the whole top where the upper cover rim and coil met with a fine bead of sealant. Never had a problem and never had to remove the cover. Probably not necessary but I was a little OCD about it back then.:shrug:

Interesting??

I've used both my AT Pro and CTX on the beach for several hours at a time, and at days end I've taken them off to clean them, but can't say they had more than a few bits of sand underneath?

I wonder why the CZ coil covers are such a problem? I guess I will test that out with mine this year?

I've got a CZ6 (made from '90-'95) that I bought used in 2002. I've had no problems with it.
However, recently I cracked the coil cover while trying to remove it. I ordered a couple covers online, but they fit really "sloppy", so I decided to go without one. Not too long after that, my detector stopped working. Actually it was my 8" coil that died. I have both a 5" and 10.5" coil (with covers) and they still work fine.
Can the 8" coil be repaired?
If not, are 8" coils for this old a detector still available?

I've got a CZ6 (made from '90-'95) that I bought used in 2002. I've had no problems with it.
However, recently I cracked the coil cover while trying to remove it. I ordered a couple covers online, but they fit really "sloppy", so I decided to go without one. Not too long after that, my detector stopped working. Actually it was my 8" coil that died. I have both a 5" and 10.5" coil (with covers) and they still work fine.
Can the 8" coil be repaired?
If not, are 8" coils for this old a detector still available?
Yes you can still find used 8 inch coils for sale, just keep an eye out for them. I'm not sure who repairs them or how much it would cost.