Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cz questions

grumpy

Morning Ladies & Gents
I have a few questions I would like to run by you cz folks, I have been at this for about 15yr but never ran the cz line before I have had about all the minelab, garrett a white an f 75 ltds but no cz.
First off I have a cz 5 that I had tom do into a cz 3d an calibrate it. It is no doubt a very effective machine. Tom is both great at what he does an very promt, you do not wait long for his services.
Is the swing speed in general slow on these units? It seems to need a slower speed than say our f75 ltd, more like an e trac??
Next do they ground balance out targets rather quickly? You know if you dink around to long deciding what u are over it disapears?
An last are there any tricks to tell the pennies from the other coins? I seem to get all reading the same place & sound, not that im a hi-grader but there are times :)
Thanks for any info
Grumpy

Grumpy,

FIrst off, you have a great CZ in you posession. Start off running at a sensitivity level of 2-3 at the max, and always make sure you are ground balanced.

CZ's are slower sweep units to get maximum depth and performance, but once over a target, you can sweep fairly quickly to isolate the target ( especially with the 5 and 8 inch coils) where you don't even need to use the pin point button.

They don't ground balance out a target ( like some units that have auto tracking like the MXT, where if you continue to sweep over a target in that mode, it will evenutally discriminate out the target...hence the MXT manual stating to switch to lock once ground balanced to elimate that problem), so no worries there. If there is a target that gives a tone, that tone will be persistent ( it may change from low to mid or low to high), but it won't go away. The only time it will, is if you use the pin point button to size and re-tune and tune it out on multiple tries, but that is done by the operator.

Tricks for copper pennies...I don't know any. They act and sound like silver for the most part. For zincs....they do have a meter ID segment that is separate from the copper/silver segment, but they still sound off as a high tone. But to me, there is a difference in tone between a shallow zinc and a deeper copper/silver coin. It's a mellower sound, and the only way tell, unfortunately, is to have years of 'ear training' on a CZ.

My suggestion when starting off, if running in discrimation mode, is to hunt in 0 (zero) setting and listen to ALL targets. You will not get fooled by deeper iron falsing where the low tone wraps into the high tone. If you hunt in modes 1-6, the low tone is disabled, so if there is any low tone/high tone wrapping on deeper iron or shallow rusty washers and such, you will never hear the low tone, and only the high tone, and get fooled thinking it's a good target. Lots of first time users of CZ's get fooled when using higher discrimination levels and think a CZ loves iron. It likes iron a lot, but can tell iron and ID correctly for the most part via the low tone...but you have to have it ENABLED !!!

So it may be a pain in the butt to run in 0 mode and hear all the low tone grunts and hits, especially in iron laden areas, but it is worth it when getting to learn a CZ. Even after 20+ years of running CZ's, I still run in 0 mode ALL THE TIME...regardless.

Hope this helps.

Thanks rover
I got most of that, an yes it is a asume machine, I have several more expensive but none better that I can tell.
One thing on the pennies stil,. I know the copper ones an silver are same but my problem is the zinc ones come up the same as silver also in many of the cases?? The copper I get I call them copper dimes:) but the zinc I think hit to hi to often, maybe sen set to hi ??
anyway I try an dig all solid signals an so no problem. I find to many interesting things where trash should b on the meter, that is why I am getting away from f 75 ltd it is to much a crutch for me, I let it do to much of the thinking:) Now the wife she has good luck with the 75 cause she is so nosie she digs.
I envy your hearin tones so well, me with my hearing aids im good to hear a sound. :)
thanks for the input
Grumpy

Zinc pennies are a darn menace in my opinion. Especially when salt water beach hunting. They corrode, split in half, and lots of those then start to ID into the gold jewelry range. Dirt hunting, depending on the soil, can keep them in a more 'zinc' state and can be ID'd a bit better.

No tried n true way to totally eliminate them, but one strategy with the CZ could be to use the volume control running at 3-4 (which would then make the deeper targets fainter and softer), and hence possibly eliminating some of the surface zincs and only go for the deeper targets.

I strictly tone hunt with my CZ's. I have them all mounted on straight rods, with the control box under the shaft behind the elbow, so I can't even look at the meter. I use the volume control when dirt hunting to distinguish between the shallow and deeper targets, and the tone ID signature running in 0 disc mode, to help determine dig or no dig.

Salt water beach hunting is volume on 10, and I use the headphone volume controls to adjust the loudness, and dig all but repeatable low tones. Even low tone, high tone bounces and low tone, med tone bounces are dug since is pretty easy digging in sand. The salt water environment can really change a targets ID signature so the only true way to know what it is, is to dig it up. Still dig some iron, but it's always deep iron and some deep low tone, small signature targets have been deep silver and copper coins in the wet sand. Most of those however, tend to get a bounce out of the low tone into med or high. Like I said, any bounce into another tone from an initial low tone, on a deep target, in the wet, salt sand, I dig it.

Hello grumpy,

I'm surprised that no one has sent this link to you yet???

This is "the best" CZ tip page on the Fisher CZ Detectors:

Mike's CZ Page

You picked up a great detector. Take the time to learn it and I'm sure you will love it. :)

-NEBeachcomber

Hello, if you buy Tom's Inland DVD you can here him work those CZ tones! http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/impressive_find_missed.htm & HH