Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ20 questions

Hey all,

After my CZ3D fiasco, I ended up doing some horse trading and picked up a CZ20 with 8" coil and hard case. I owned one of these units a few years ago and loved it for water hunting, once chest mounted. I'd prefer to get the 10" coil, and may go that way eventually with an upgrade from Fisher, if they are still offering upgrades for the CZ20.

I did some air testing with this detector and it doesn't appear as hot,depth wise, as my last one. This is an older unit and in great shape, but I was hoping for more depth. I know air testing isn't everything, just an observation. Another thing that I found unusual is that all of my targets are primarily hitting high tone. A nickel, zinc penny, gold ring, all high tone. I'm going to try new batteries and see if that's the culprit, but has anyone ever experienced this?

That doesnt sound right?...I am trying to remember what Felix charged me for my CZ 20 rebuild/upgrade?...I'm thinking @$300? I paid $400 for it used, and it took a mighty dump, so I sent it in to get fixed, bought a new rod from a Forum member too...sold the whole deal to another Forum Member and about broke even I think...hope its just the batts..
Mud

"A nickel, zinc penny, gold ring, all high tone." May not be an issue. Most gold rings will be mid-tone. One that has a conductivity right at nickle, or a great big ring that is in the zinc penny range will be high tone. I've dug a couple gold rings that are high tone, right at nickle. Picture is of some ID readings from my F75 LTD, and yes, the ring at ID = 29 is high tone on my CZ 20 and CZ6a. The ring at ID = 42 and all the tabs in the picture are mid-tone on the CZs.

Get some tabs from a soda can and one of those foils that get pulled off some types of bottles and see if they come in mid-tone. Try a bobby pin and see if it comes in low tone.

Depth wise, since my home cable / internet wireless router was upgraded, I get poor air test results in my house. I need to get away from the house and do careful tests to get a reasonable idea of what the detector does in the air. Hard to say what the air tests mean unless you wrote down what the CZ3D did and have the same conditions when you check the CZ20.

About a month ago, it was reported that the upgrade cost is still $299. Coil change would be extra. That thread is here: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?23,2207152

I'd do a few more checks before declaring it sick.
Cheers,
tvr

Unit is not working correctly and I believe FT does not retune them but they upgrade them to a C Z21 which is expensive. A call to Fisher is in order as it seems you traded for a unit not working correctly. Due to the cost involved would retrade the unit back if possible...

Thanks for the info. and advice guys. I'll pick up some fresh batteries today and try it outside of the house and see if that helps. I'll also try the foil and tabs.

For anyone that has any similar issues in the future, here's what I tried today!

I didn't have time to pick up batteries, but I removed the coil cover, suspecting sand in there, which there was. It seemed to help as now the gold rings are hitting as mid tone, but the pull tabs are still high tone, the nickel is high tone as well until you get a few inches away, then it changes to a consistent mid tone. I'm still only getting about 8-9" on a clad dime with the sensitivity maxed. With sensitivity at 5 I'm getting about 5"on a dime. Ground balance doesn't change anything, and the test was done outside to help reduce emi... Battery level is a low tone with one light. I'm hoping new batteries help, if not I'll give Fisher a call.