Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ21

Indiana Heath

Have a CZ21 coming in tomorrow am. Will be taking it out to my favorite relic spot...weather is to be warm but rainy...won't have to worry about getting it wet. Will be interested to see what happens. I have never used a CZ20 before. Have a CZ3D, F-75 and GoldBug2.

If it's like a CZ20 plan on hip mounting.When I used my CZ20 hip mounted it was actually pleasant to use. Compared to the other CZs I thought the CZ20 had more depth,but harder to run smooth with the sensitivity up.Four batteries instead of two_Only used the unit in fresh water and in parks.After about 3 months of using the CZ20 I sold it.Always wanted to hunt in the water,but it takes a different technique,and it took away from my land hunting.I think very few hunter's can do both well.Hope that helps.

dealer i bought mine from discourages hip or chestmounting for dry land hunting. says the coil cable isn't tough enough.
tried attaching a couple of pictures but this forum only excepts pictures 3 days a week and i guess this isn't one of those days.

hh steve

I had not heard that about the cable. I will mainly be using it in water but do plan on land hunting if it is rainy or possible rain coming in. I ran the cable straight up the shaft I use on my 3D and belt or chest mount with a strain relief...I can't see how i would be stressing the cable this way...guess time will tell.

Brad

Hi Ron, What are the different techniques that are used or needed? I thought it was going to be different in recovery and maybe the tones. I have always hunted on land but have been thinking of going into streams and rivers using a CZ 21 or maybe to be used on rainy days.
Thanks B Spa

The CZ20 is just like a CZ you have the tones but not the meter.I always kept the discrimination to a minimum to see how much iron was in an area.I would hip mount the place this unit would shine the streams in old park area's that are not hunted.When hunting near water or rain in cooler weather stay dry use rain gear good water proof boots.Always an extra change of clothing, gloves or shocks.I took classes in outdoor emergency care for years.Simple rule, number one wet clothes will remain cold go to a shelter,and change into dry clothing before continuing a hunt.

Here are the pictures of the chestmount that I use.

This is the mount

[attachment 78958 Chestmountbareresized.jpg]

This is the mount with control mounted.

[attachment 78957 chestmountwithczfrontresized.jpg]

sorry it took so long, i tried uploading several times with no success. I tried today no go then tried again after marking all forums read and it worked, over?

hh steve

Ron,

While I was up in MI, yes, water hunting did cut into my land hunting, as the prime season for both is summer and early spring.

Now that I'm down here in OK, it balances out, as I can land hunt in winter (provided it's not blowing snow/sleet/freezing rain), and the ground gets to hard in the summer, so it's time to go jump in a lake. I am lucky enough to live within a few miles of a lake, but, it's nothing like having the 17 public beaches in Jackson county while I lived there.

You're also right about hunting streams in old parks. If there's a deep enough spot in that stream, odds are, it was used as a swimming hole way-back-when.

As far as different techniques and/or equipment, I'll give you the run-down on my equipment:

- A good scoop. The one I use was made by a fellow club member here in OK. It's steel (not stainless, though), so it will rust. The holes are 1/2" diameter. I keep some pipe insulation on the handle, so the handle floats. I've been known to keep a magnet inside the scoop, to help catch magnetic targets.

- I have a 1" wide utility belt with quick-release buckle. On that belt is a 6 x 12" mesh bag with velcro closure. This is my collection bag, that gets trash, and coins. Also on my belt is the belt-mount for my CZ-20. Yes, I am "webbed in". I've never had to ditch my gear, thankfully. I have stepped off into a couple 6 - 9" deep holes in some swimming areas around Jackson that "someone" (not me, I always filled my holes in) left open, usually in deeper water. Usually, when that happens, I would "plant" my scoop, and use it as a lever to help get myself back to firm footing, along with a little quick swimming. This always happens when I was out in neck-deep water, and since I float easily, was not that big of an issue. However, if I ever step off into a hole and go under, believe me, I'm ditching my gear. Just drop the scoop, and hit the quick-release buckle, and I'm swimming. Luckily, the control-box for the 20 (and hopefully the 21) float, so I'd be able to recover my detector easily enough.

I wear a swimsuit with a zippered back pocket. Good jewelry, and the occasional paper money, go into that pocket, usually while I'm chest-deep in water, so nobody sees what I'm doing.

That equipment is the basic gear for hunting a swimming beach at a modern lake.

If I'm getting into a stream, then add to that:

- A floating sifter box. Great for working in streambeds with lots of gravel. I can shake the material around, spread it out with my hand, and try to locate the target. However, sometimes the target is not so easy to find. Sinkers tend to look like rocks, and High-tone target (assumed to be a coin), could just as easily be a copper-jacketed bullet, either intact or mushroomed out. I have considered adding my vibraprobe 460 to this list, but, my screen for the sifter box is hardware cloth, which would set the pinpointer off. I have yet to find a suitable replacement screening material. I know someone posted pics of a floating sifter made out of a round plastic container, using an inner tube for floatation, and drilled lots and lots of holes in the bottom of the plastic container for drainage.

While I love using a floating sifter (which does even better in a clean sand beach), I do not recommend using it if you hunting a beach while it's being used by swimmers. The reason is, is that the sand will wash out of the sifter VERY quickly, and expose your target for everyone to see. If you're not quick about removing the target, someone could get a good enough look at it, and call the cops, describe it, and have it legally returned to their "possesion", even though it wasn't lost by them.

- If the water is really cold (during the Fall, before the freeze, and after the Spring thaw), I will use chest-waders, and trapper's gloves. I dress warmly under all that, because even though I'm dry, it's still cold. Even bundled up, I can usually only handle about an hour in the water, up in MI in March and April.

There are lots and LOTS of old lakeside resorts scattered all through MI, IN, OH, etc. Do some research, and you might even locate some old swimming holes.