Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ3D vs. CZ6A

Mike T

I have a CZ6A I'm happy with its powerful and seems good on deep silver. I don't understand the purpose of the CZ3D? what does it do my 6A won't

When you put the 3D into enhanced mode it bumps some older coins and nickels into high tone in the audio. A search on line will tell you specificly which coins.

What I noticed is every control feature on the 3D face panel is grounded to the circuit board, Pots, GB, Analog meter, switch etc. My CZ-6 QUICKSILVER does not have this, don't know if a CZ 6A does.

Looks like Fisher or NASA Tom wanted to eliminate outside interferance, they did an outstanding job with the 3D.

Paul (Ca)

If you dig all mid and high tones with your 6a, the 3D will not make any difference. Where it does make a difference is in enhanced mode, where it can bring some of the mid tone targets ( where some older coins may hit as) that the 6a hit on, into the high tone. So if you only dig high tones when coin hunting, the 3D can possibly help you get more older coins. Caveat there is, it may also bring some of the mid tone lower conductive trash targets into the high tone area. That is why it is suggested to use enhanced mode at older, pre-1950 sites where there is less modern aluminum trash.

Pick the poison. I have both and use both. There are times when at older sites, the 3D would be the weapon of choice since I want to find older coins and not dig as many mid tone hits.

At the beach, the 6a is the one due to it being more resistant to the elements and the fact that I dig all mid and high tones anyway when beach hunting.

One minor difference is the 6a has 3 tones, the 3D 4. It has a separate tone for the foil category, so if you are beach or park hunting and want to only concentrate on targets that hit in the foil category ( ie, looking for those smaller engagement type rings with stones in them that typically fall into the foil range), you can via tone and you don't have to look at the meter reading.

Good question if the 6a is same as the 6, ground wise. My guess is yes since the 6a was manufactured around the same time frame as the 6.

They added a 4th tone to the 3D, similar to what they did to the digital CZ-70 ( and I think the CZ7a-Pro). Prior to that, the older CZ's only had 3 tones. Below is how the manual categorizes each one:

a) an iron target will give you a low tone
b) foil a mid low tone
c) tabs a medium tone
d) coins a high tone.

On the 6a, the foil and tabs are medium tone...there is no mid-low on the 6a.

You are correct in the salt mode operation. Used for more modern sites, trashy sites and salt water beaches. One thing you can do when running in enhanced mode, and you get a high tone, you can switch over to the salt mode and re-check the target. Some lower conductive targets like a small piece of aluminum, that may hit as high tone in enhanced mode, will hit as one of the middle tones.....so it can work kinda like a target check option.

Like I stated before, for me it all depends on the specific location and environment I am hunting as to whether the 3D or 6a comes out. I have used my 6a for over 18 years and have two of them so I am partial to them. But I won't get rid of the 3D either. It can do everything that the 6a can do and a little more....but it's not as weather resistant.

I understand that the CZ3D has one of the tightest windows available for finding nickels...according to Tom. Set it in the enhanced mode and start seeing how many older nickels you will find...like Buffalo's, V's and even Shields. Just find a good location for these and they will show up.

n/t

I guess 90% or more of the older silver and nickles would register in the 6a as a 4th tone.It must be the oddball silver as well as some mixed alloy nickles that would respond as lower tones that the CZ3D is calibrated to transpose into the range of the 4th tone.
As I learn more about the CZ's I realize they are simple in appearance but very complex. They must have a long learning curve but I believe their potential is equal to the Etracs or any other great detector.

that may possibly hit as mid tone on the 6a. Remember, the 6a only has THREE tones. Also, remember that some of those types of targets MAY also hit as high tone on the 6a as well.

Enhanced mode on the 3D is a unique feature that as explained by the designer, uses the ground matrix and older coin composition to bring these types of targets up into the high tone area whereas it may hit as mid tone on the other CZ's like the CZ5, CZ6a, CZ-70 Pro.

Most all of the US silver coinage will hit as high tone on both units, so no worries there.

Last...the CZ's are not complex at all and probably one of the simplest units to use. Ground balance, don't run the sensitivity too high, run in discriminate mode 0 so you can tell the difference between iron and non-ferrous targets, sweep slow to moderate and dig all repeatable mid and high tone signals that hit from multiple angles.

The analog CZ's are by far my favorites. No programming, can tell exactly what settings you are running just by looking at the face plate, increasing the level of discrimination does NOT affect depth, modulated audio if you want to run it that way, can hunt salt water beaches..the list goes on and on.....just great all around units to have in the arsenal.

With the 3D, Fisher/NASA Tom covered all bases. Serious thought and effort went into the double stack circuit board, another thing they simplfed the boards so they can easily be repaired.

Fisher is tops!
Paul (Ca)

After reading the replies seems like the topic was covered quite well.

Indeed the CZ3D would be my pick for real old places where there is a chance for an old coin or token.Sort of dig more to get more or the chance to get an oddball old coin or token..

CZ6A would be my choice for general hunting in medium old places and certainly like the protection the added rubbers give for a light rain or saltwater sand shore making it weather resistant..

Great info. in this thread, guys, much appreciated. I've found more nickels with the 3d than any other detector I've owned.