Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ5 in saltwater

Here's what I found with the CZ5 in salt mode in saltwater.

It works great when coil is immersed in 2-3 ft of saltwater; also works well in wet sand.

However, in very shallow salt water (like 4-5 inches ), it falses a lot; as well as in crashing shallow surf it falses a lot....it's unuseable under these two conditions.

Is this normal? or is there something wrong with my CZ5?

Ken

If right in the shallow wave action is where I'm hunting I'll run a little lower sensitivity to reduce the false hit on the wave action. That said, it has been much less of an issue with a CZ than with other detectors I've used in those conditions. Certainly not what I would call unusable.

Not recommended using your unit under these conditions as if you fall or hit by a big wave can cause damage to your unit.
I hope you are ground balancing where you are hunting as going from dry sand to actual water use can cause instability.
I like the idea of decreasing your sens as even in the wet salt sand many times I had to decrease to keep a stable unit..
Personally don't feel anything wrong with your unit as just nature of the beast under these conditions.

Thank you Dan for mentioning ground balancing. I made and assumption above and we all know about assuming! Ground balance it over the wet sand at the edge of the water.

Dan,

I was hunting some tidal pools, like 3-4" of water only. Detector was very stable when swinging above the water and wet sand; but falses all over when immersed. Take the coil out of the water, it was stable again.

Do you think it needs ground balancing in the water? in the "salt" mode?

This was at Myrtle Beach.

Ken

Unfortunately all CZ's are not created equal or for that matter either are beaches on particular days...Always hunted the dry sand in reg mode and even tried it that way in moist areas if I could get away with it...Time to experiment but for the most part saltmode is recommended in moist areas and always ground balanced where I hunted for optimum results...

Ken,
I am familiar with those pools in the flat when the tide is out at Myrtle Beach. I like hunting those when I visit. I ground balance next to the pool before entering, if the pool is a foot or more deep I'll get a ground balance in the water, but it normally does not make a lot of difference with the CZ. I'll get some falsing when the coil first enters and comes out of the water with my CZ20. A little less sensitivity does help. My CZ-6A occasionally falses when entering and leaving the water in those pools but is a little quieter hunting than the CZ20 I have. Some variance CZ to CZ. I run the CZ6A in salt mode in those pools.

How fast are you sweeping the coil? If you are making waves with the coil; slow down. Those pools are best hunted with a slow sweep when using a CZ. Try auto tune. In autotune you can take the sensitivity up and there is not much of a change entering and leaving the pools; certainly not a repeatable change that would make me think about digging, unless it really is a target.

If none of the suggestions help, talk to the Fisher service folks; it may need looking at.
Cheers,
tvr