Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ5 or modified XL Pro

Jazzylady

Hi, this is my first post after reading the forums for weeks. I am getting a new detector and have seen posts about the modified XL Pro and am curious. I have had a CZ5 for a year and a half and it is not good for me. Even with the BEEP and DIG technique it does not produce as well as my neighbors MXT.
Have been borrowing my neighbors spare MXT or QXT (which ever is available) for the past six months letting the CZ5 sit in the garage. I prefer the analog meter to the digital meter. I hunt parks and play grounds with my neighbor.
I can afford one detector and am curious if the modified XL Pro is superior to the CZ5 under identical conditions. I understand the technical aspects, frequencies etc., but have not seen anyone make a comparison.

Comments appreciated, Jazzy

Sorry, reading up on both on a dealer sight and made a mistake. Some posters prefer the IDX Pro over the newer machines. The folks I hunt with use the MXT and QXT and their machines ID coins which my CZ5 cannot properly ID. Recently, a friend let me use their old Classic backup unit which I liked. I'd rather stay with an analog machine but the X-Terra looks good too. Your comments appreciated. Jazzy

'Jazzy', it appears you've fallen prey to the 'Pro' confusion. The IDX Pro is a fine White's model, especially when it's received the 'Mr. Bill' treatment at Surfscanner. Sometimes I find myself picking the wrong keys to type when posting some comments and have to catch myself switching IDX Pro and XL Pro.

One reason I have a time with it is because these two models make up half my personal detector battery and I respect their abilities a great deal. Might even reflect on the LCD readout IDX P{ro in my response, but ultimately I'll get to the XL Pro. Now, to your post:

"I have had a CZ5 for a year and a half and it is not good for me. Even with the BEEP and DIG technique it does not produce as well as my neighbors MXT."... Okay, let's start here. You've referred to the term I have been using for nearly a quarter of a century, 'Beep-DIG!', and it is the one sure-fire aspproach to successful metal detecting that will reward you will all kinds of great targets which otherwise gave 'iffy' audio and/or visual responses.

As for th difference in response and success rate with the CZ-5 Vs others, let's go from here. When you say the CZ-5 doesn't produce as well as the MXT for you, just exactly what are you referring to? Snce the XZ's are knoiwn fro acceptable depth I might only conclude that you've had less success due to either [A].. It uses a segmented discrimination and/or .. You rely on the visual TID and it is not as accurate or doesn't lock-on as well as you would like. Is that close?

"Have been borrowing my neighbors spare MXT or QXT (which ever is available) for the past six months letting the CZ5 sit in the garage. I prefer the analog meter to the digital meter."... Okay, so you say you prefer the analog needle display of the CZ-5 over the MXT or QXT digital readout, but you have more success with them. Are you using stock coils with all the models mentioned? Coil choice can play an important role in a person's success.

"I hunt parks and play grounds with my neighbor."... If you're hunting playgrounds, which I equate with woodchip or sand-filled play areas, a smaller coil will be helpful near any metal structures, but I still don't see where you're having a preference between the MXT/QXT and the CZ-5?

"I can afford one detector and am curious if the modified XL Pro is superior to the CZ5 under identical conditions. I understand the technical aspects, frequencies etc., but have not seen anyone make a comparison.".. Okay, here is where I get to take some liberties due to the mix-up of IDX Pro Vs XL Pro and modifications and so on.

First, let me compare a modified IDX Pro to the CZ-5. Now, thius is based upon my personal experience and, I must add, that the CZ-5 is the CZ I feel was perhaps the best of them. But I can relate a few different field encounters between the CZ5 and Classic ID and IDX Pro where the CZ-5 just didn't seem to be as superior as the price might suggest or the poor weight and balance are worth.

It was early spring of '98 and I was hunting some renovation work in Hillsboro, Oregon with a good friend. He had been using a Silver Eagle and wanted to try a CZ-5 I had. I was game and let him use the CZ-5 /w stock 8" coil and I used my new Classic ID. I was also using the stock 8" coil at the time. It wasn't long before I saw him wander up onto the well manicured courthouse lawn and out of the dug up street and sidewalk area.

My White's Classic performance operated much quieter in the iron infested litter than did the CZ-5. He retreated. Shortly he had a signal and wondered how accurate the TID of the CZ was so he called me over. he was used to having more separation in higher coin identification and the CZ-5 just registered high coin and gave a soft but repeatable audio on a target that the CZ indicated at about 6".

I checked it with my Classic ID and told him it was a penny or dime at about 6" to 7". He asked if I had coin depth and the Classic's didn't, but once you learn them you can 'best guess' the coin depth as well or better than some of the coin depth readouts. We unplugged headphones to compare signals and I had the cleaner response and a rock solid TID on Penny/Dime. Carefully cutting a plug and working to the coin it was, indeed, a copper wheatback at about 6

Monte, thank you alot. I just got back from the park and had the opportunity to see an X-Terra in use. Very impressive. My MXT friend is talking about making a change after seeing it.
I will try and find the two Pro units to see how they balance and make a decision.
Your thoughts on the XL Pro make me think it is exactly what I want. I simply want the tones and meter to agree and give me a fair chance at finding something beside pulltabs and aluminum foil. Oh, before I forget my CZ5 has a 5" factory coil and my neighbors MXT has a 4 1/2 x 7DD Excelorator if I recall what they said correctly. Thanks a million, Jazzy