Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ5 vs CZ3d

Wow ... great question as I have had both of them but my favorite is the CZ-5.
I am going to take a guess that the CZ5 like the CZ-20 required parts that could not be obtained any longer.
Instead of revising it as a CZ5A they decided to give it a different name (but they went backwards)
Flat out performance wise the newer CZ3d might have a slight edge on depth.
It will be interesting to hear from one of the fisher insiders as to why it went this way.

The difference between the two is the 3D has 4 tones and has an Enhanced mode, which is designed to bring some older coins that would hit as a mid tone on the older model CZ's, as a high tone.

The 3D is designed to primary coin hunt older sites where there is less aluminium trash. Running in Enhanced mode in trashier sites, some smaller aluminum trash may also register as a high tone.

Performance wise in terms of depth, properly tuned they should be equal.

Both can use all the same coils and they are pretty much the same control box wise, batteries used and even internal parts. The meters are different since the 3D has the 4th tone. Both have a salt mode as well.

The main difference is how the discrimination widows are tuned and where targets register.

Hoped this helped.

The CZ 3D is one up on 70Pro, analogue meter, 4 tones like the Pro, but notch widths change slightly on the 3D.

From what I've seen with cz-5s that Dankowski has converted to cz-3d specs (minus the 4th tone), proper Los Banos cz-3ds tend to be certified a bit deeper than their converted cz5 counterparts.

Admittedly a small sample, because I've only seen depth numbers on a handful of converted cz5s including one I had. He charges north of $200 to calibrate and convert a cz-5 to cz-3d specs as opposed to $100 to certify and calibrate the cz-3d, so that no doubt keeps the number of converted cz5s down.

the CZ-5 is an older platform. The 3D has the newest innovations and there has to be improvements from more efficient components. (better filtering for noise alone
in the Receive side can do wonders)
Building the unit today ground up with a chip would make it smaller and lighter, and add features that could do thinks like ground grab, or splitting
the dual into a choice of single frequencies--and maybe processing/recovery speeds could be varied.
Hope :fisher: revitalizes the platform instead of retiring it. This Classic deserves it. :cheers:

That would be nice, Vlad, but don't hold your breath on FT reviving such a labor intensive platform.

Multifrequency detector technology has moved on. When FT introduces another multifreaker it will be simpler and more powerful then the CZ’s, cost far less to produce and probably sell for a good bit less than the 2 board, 15 adjustable trimmer monsters which were state of the art 20 years ago.

Many disagree with Me, But a 'Proper' CZ-3D is like a regular CZ on Steroids. Its pushed to the limits of Calibration. I have had every model CZ made. And the Hottest ones I owned were CZ-3D's with one CZ-5 that was close but no cigar.

I have always heard the Cz's were very labor intensive to calibrate with 20 or so adjustments needing to be made.....not cost effective for FIsher.

I see you have a CZ7a, dose it do as good as the other CZ's ? I have a very nice CZ7a and don't use it much. I think I will start , I just got 20 rechargeable battery's Let me know if it is just as good. Thanks flintstone

Matter of choice...if you hunt in real old places CZ3D might be the ticket, but if not a CZ5 is the ticket...
CZ3D is basically dig more to get more and one can do the same with a CZ5 if knowlegable….
As far as depth in performance either one may be a tad different in depth and performance...
As far as digital versus analog....analog is a tad faster, easier to adjust and can set your sens. more precise...in any case any CZ properly tuned old or new is a deep silver monster coil for coil with anything on the planet...