Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cz6a comparison with cz3d please?

vkb

I'm new to the forum...and I did go out to see if I could find some explanation as to the difference between my CZ6A and the CZ3D. I found a couple posts but not much. I hope this question is not horribly repetitive...and if so I apologize. It has been a while since I posted or followed the new detectors so your help is appreciated. Thanks everyone. Kirby

vkb,
If you go to the Fisher metal detecting hobby home page, under a link to Tom Dankowski's Fisher Intelligence, there are links to either the 4th or 5th edition of their Intelligence reports ... in either one of the reports are sections on the CZ3D where Mr. Dankowski discusses his point of view about the updating process and field testing of the CZ3D.

I have a CZ6a (and CZ20) but have not used a CZ3D. I think any CZ that functions properly is a very good detector. I particularly like that the CZ6a is water resistant so I don't worry if I am out and it starts raining. If I am out with one of my detectors that isn't water resistant or water proof, I head home and don't get wet but then also don't have the fun of digging in the puddles! CZ3D is not water resistant.
tvr

tvr gave some good info and certainly the water resistant CZ6A is a plus...CZ6A hasn't been made in years and of course less chance of a breakdown with newer CZ3D as its newer but older CZ's like energizer bunny just keep going and going. Depth is basically the same but sens. parameters have been changed and CZ3D is hard to get over 4 while the CZ6A in some areas can be run 5-6-7-8 but never found an area where I could max it but either way both produce a stable unit and about the same depth just at different settings. CZ3D meter parameters have been changed and you are given the choice with the switch of a toggle to have a unit for new and old areas(sort of dig more to find more in old areas) and of course if you read Tom Dankowski's info that tvr gave you will explain in detail. Cosmetically the CZ3D has a new type of armrest where you can use a velcro armstrap, new type knobs and a black front rod while the CZ6A has the metal armrest, older style knobs and a white front pole. Last but not least the CZ3D is still being made while the CZ6A was discontinued years ago but many are still working well and really hold up for years with problems far and few between and for the last few years CZ3D has done the same. Whoops almost forgot CZ6A has no outside speaker because of its water resistant features and kindly chime in if I missed some aspect along the line.In any case standing in front of a field where deep coins were possible I would be confident with either and yes I have used both and have to admit Tom had some good ideas especially for hunting those really old areas and with the switch of a toggle basically have the abilities of a CZ6A of course with no water resistant qualities and read somewhere to make a CZ3D water resisitant would cost approx. $200 so Fisher felt it was cost prohibitive to produce and pass the cost onto the consumer..In addendum CZ3D decals are a tad gaudy and many prefer the old decals of previous CZ's...

Gentlemen...you have made my life very easy and I appreciate all the good tips. I agree that the lack of waterproof is not a real good incentive ... and the fact that there is little if any difference in depth makes me want to just keep swinging my CZ6A...which btw...I love. I will go find that article TVR alludes to. I think if I could find another CZ6A in nice shape I might just spring for it. Thanks to you both...I truly appreciate your responses. Kirby

Dan ... I am so used to using headphones I didn't think about no speaker on the CZ6a ... great point!

Kirby ... just to make sure I didn't cause a misunderstanding I am going to be a little picky with two specific phrases:
water resistant and
water proof.
Water resistant, like the CZ6a, means you can get the electronics box rained on some and expect it to survive.
Water proof, like a CZ20 or CZ21, means that you can submerge it entirely in water and expect it to survive.

Just wanted to make sure you don't think I dunk the CZ6a into the puddles that I may kneel and dig in. I try to protect it some from water but I don't worry about being out with it when it is raining. When it is raining I try to keep the meter side up since there isn't a gasket on the battery cover.
The CZ6a coil is water proof and can be swept into and through puddles. The CZ6a box is resistant to rain entering the box, but is not suitable for submerging the box in water.

I hope your CZ6a provides many more years of great hunting.
tvr

tvr...understood and many many thanks for taking time out of a busy day...as we all tend to have anymore...to respond to me. Kindest regards. k