Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

D-tex bandit 1 Info needed

This Dwayne

I have an old D-tex "Bandit 1" detector. Just trying to get it in operation. Searched everywhere and haven't found a schematic. Sure would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. I do need a manual also. I think it was built in 1975.

Thanks.

Dwayne

Dwayne, have you checked out Sven's treasurelinx site? There is a D-tex link there with catalogs, manuals and info.
- Gary

https://www.treasurelinx.com/d-tex.html
Also, needed parts or info can be gotten from Keith Wills, at East Texas Metal Detectors:
http://www.brokendetector.com/

Hello Dwayne,

I've never heard of this model, Joe from Texas would probably be the best source he may have come across one.

Lately, I've seen a couple of D-tex models surface that I've never seen before. One on Craigslist the other on eBay, passed both up. Now, wished I'd made an effort to get them.

Good luck,
Paul

Last time I talked to him was when they were making the copy of the Fisher 1266x.
The batteries went in the housing, and you could lock it in either disc, mode.

Paul
Thank you for trying to help on this ancient 1975 detector. I do not think you need to buy one. It is pretty basic with a very small circuit board containing 7 transistors. A BFO with the meter that tunes to the center. 3 knobs on top and a vernier knob on the back. I did read that the wires from the loop to the circuit board were usually corroded and must be replaced. Just something else to tinker with LOL.

Dwayne

Richntr

I have checked Sven's treasurelinx site. It has a wealth of info. A great site. i haven't found a schematic or manual yet, but I am still searching some of the places Sven has listed.
I did find an article showing Bill Mahan and Bob Lilly, the Dallas Cowboy player, became friends and detector hunted together in 1975. Bill gave Bob Lilly his choice of the metal detectors he built and they built a custom D-Tex "Bandit 1" (the one he chose) for him because he was 6' 6" and 265 lbs.

Thanks
Dwayne

Dwayne,
Ha! I remember Bob Lilly! Funny he had the same (yet Customized) detector you are trying to find info on. Yeah treasurelinx is an awesome site - gotten loads of info from there. Good continued luck on your search...
- Gary

Wille (Townes), (Bob) Lilly, Jethro (Pugh) and George (Andre)
Bob #74 was an All Pro almost every year, and good on making the card shows (told me George lived in Pt Neches.)
During season if school was out we'd go up to Dallas, sneak in and watch them practice.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Bob_lilly_signed.jpg/220px-Bob_lilly_signed.jpg

I lived in Corsicana back then. Everyone had a TV directional beam antenna that was tuned to channel 9 pointed north toward Dallas 50 miles away, just to watch the Cowboys.

Dwayne

I grew up outside of D.C. so naturally I was a Skin fan - sorry!
Mr. Cowboy Bob Lilly must have really been into detecting. He's promoting a Master Hunter 7 A.D.S. in Garrett's 1985 catalog.

Hello Dwayne,

Yes, D-Tex were known for having corroded coil wires with several of it's models.

Actually, Enjoy collecting earlier BFO models. Here are two D-Tex models I picked up last year. One TINY-TEX and one Buccaneer, both still operate and surprisingly the TINY-TEX operates like new with great stability. The Buccaneer, Well the threshold drifts just looking at it so I don't use it.

If you can post a picture of your bandit model, Don't believe I've seen one before, tried to goggle one but nothing surfaced.

Take care,
Paul

Here's the best I can do Vlad. Attached photo. It is from the red(ish) catalog with the Olympic symbol in the upper left corner. Page 2.

but cannot find a photo with a Garrett.
In the 70's I started out with a Whites that I got rid of quickly. Went to a Super Pro next and it was king of discriminators-but depth was limited.
Kept it but got a Garrett Deepseeker (much deeper) and used it till D-Tex came out with clones-they had better loops that were not affected by emi.

Wow man, I really like this detector. A lot. An old hunter I knew in the 90's had a Rebel 1 that was all beat up. Yours is the only other one I've seen. I hope you do get it operating. Keep us posted...

- Gary

Thanks for sharing these pictures on the Rebel Bandit I Dwayne, first time I've seen one. Very clean, surely one of the latest if not last BFO D-TEX made. The White control box was used with their TR models, I have a Coin King 1 TR Discriminator with same type White plastic box.

BFO models had a 3-pin coil connector plug on the front portion of housing such as the BFO CoinShooter II, while the Coin King 1 TR model used a 6-pin connector. I'll try and post a couple of pics, showing the differences.

The Coin King II TR takes 4 9-volt batteries, operates great with push button handle feature.

You have an extremely nice piece of equipment there, Very fortunate to have found it.

Was wondering is it possible yours is a TR not BFO? The coil connector is an indicator, 3-pin BFO 6-pin TR.

Thanks again for sharing,
Paul