Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

D2 Tone Questions

Geologyhound

Hello all!

I am a bit new to the D2 here. I have a couple questions regarding tone settings. In the menu system, it appears that multi tones are different from pitch tones. If you set up four tones (with the low tone corresponding to the discrimination setting), and leave it at four tones when you save the program, will that act differently than pitch tones? Conversely, if you set up your tone bins and switch back to pitch tones to save that program, will you still get the same tone bins while hunting?

Along the same lines, when you set up your tone bins, there is no gap for the notched out areas. I am guessing that when hunting, any tone in a notched out area will be suppressed. But does that work differently between multi tones and pitch tones - if there is a difference?

Thanks!

Short answers, yes on the first, no on the second and lastly, no difference with notch.

Pitch causes tones to change pitch higher or lower depending on size and depth no matter the VID. Multi tones change pitch according to conductivity, that is a quarter will have a higher pitch than a nickel (unless very deep) whereas pitch mode will give a high tone on both if they are near the surface. Changing from pitch to multi tones does not make tones go higher according to distance from the coil, that would defeat their purpose.

The XP manual needs to take a couple extra pages to explain the tone and audio type options and interactions. If I am understanding this correctly, then I think I might have the tone section figured out. Full tones = Pitch change according to TID, but no volume change. Multi tones essentially like Full tones but you get to select how many tone bins and the range of TIDs to which the pitch applies. Pitch tones = pitch and volume of signal varies according to target size and depth.

But, how do these tone options interact with the audio type? For example as per the XP manual, square and pitch theoretically wouldn’t be compatible because as per the square explanation, the harmonics don’t vary with the signal amplitude - only the volume changes. Likewise if the volume is stable for full or multi tones regardless of target strength, then how does that react with square since the volume should change based on depth or size?

For PWM, is it just essentially the opposite of square? The tone varies with the signal strength to give an indication of depth or size whereas with square the volume changes? And again, how would that react with the Full/multi/pitch tone options?

This is the most confusing part of the D2 for me so far. It really appears like there may be six audio options (PWM and square with the three discrimination sub-options of full, multi, and pitch). However I did notice that none of the stock programs utilize PWM with pitch, although the machine will let me select those together for a custom program. Are these audio/tone options just a matter of taste, or in what situation would each of these options be most beneficial? I am still trying to figure out what I am hearing and why between all the different programs. Anybody can dig a strong repeatable well focused 94 - it’s understanding all of the nuances and interactions that make the difference on everything else, and I want to understand those nuances! If this is too complex for a post, and there is an aftermarket handbook you can point me towards, that would be great.

Thank you again for any light you can shed on the situation!

Full tones = Pitch change according to TID, but no volume change.
The volume will become quieter as the target gets deeper. There is an adjustment that determines the rate, called audio response. It is possible to adjust it so all targets get the same volume but it can also give an indication of depth by decreasing volume on deeper targets.

The answer to the rest? I don't have a clue. What follows is my opinion only.

I am relatively certain it will work well either way and that switching a lot at first means you are trying to learn many different detectors. You really don't have to chase conditions, this detector will find it if you go over it as well or better than any available. It is like a high powered sports car, it is better than what we can use stock. Tones are just a preference. Use the tones that are the easiest for you to understand and then use it there for a bunch of hours to try to learn what it is saying.

Right or wrong, this is what I did when I first purchased a Deus, not the D2. I decided I wanted a fast speed and 4 tones like the favorite program adjustments my Nokta Impact was using. I went to the Fast program and changed default to 4 tones. I threw every common American coin down with bottle caps, can slaw, different aluminum tabs, etc. and listened. High tone seemed too high so i lowered it and tapered the other two tones down some too. Once satisfied with the tones, I went over the targets and changed frequencies to see what each one sounded like. There were distinct differences. I chose the one I liked best and then adjusted the tone breaks according to the frequency I liked. I really don't know how many hours I have on the detector now but this is my most used program and I rarely change anything except sensitivity. If I make a change specific to a different area, I try to remember to change it back. That is one of the disadvantages of all the adjustments. Four tones may not be what you like. Use what you like, the process is about the same.

Once you like the tones, hunt the heck out of it. The D2 will find it if you know what to listen for and, when you know what to listen for then start making one adjustment at a time. Only when you know what it will do can you tell if an adjustment makes it better. JMO

I don't know of a book about it yet but I am pretty sure Andy Sabisch and Clive Clynick will both have one out shortly but the manual is pretty good if you learn it.

Good luck, Don't worry, be happy. You have a great detector.

Picketwire has it nailed. It’d be great to be able to take a few coins and make a garden if you dont have one, just to test out what coins sound like in different sound profiles, and more importantly, how different they sound at depth. Here’s a hunt I was on yesterday with the D2 and there are some deep coins involved. Have a listen. I use the Fast program with Pitch tones in PWM. PWM captures your attention very quickly, especially when Pitch is set to 603hz (maximum). Pitch MUST be used with discrimination or you will be looking at your screen constantly. It will give you the correct ID for the item on the screen, but just won’t do it through the audio. The D2 is an INCREDIBLY snappy tool to hunt iron and all kinds of trash with.

Thank you! Coming from the Spectrum XLT, I figure the audio response setting is similar to the XLT’s pre-amp gain. But, the preamp gain setting tended to make the detector unstable with medium to high settings. This does not seem to be the case with the D2, at least with the low to medium audio response settings with which I have been tinkering.

Square pitch seems a lot more like the XLT’s tones. I think what I will do is do is set up two custom programs side-by-side with the same tone settings - one PWM, and one square. I have read multiple times that an experienced user can hear the sharp edges of can slaw with PWM, and I would love to dig less of that!