Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dam skeeters eaten me alive today when hunten :starwars: :stars:

Trackerman

Today was a bit warm in Cali and the skeeters were eating my elbows and legs faster than a cow in a lake of piranhas . The skeeters are raging a war on all fellow detectorists
And there winning. :surrender: :starwars::surrender:

Welcome from the City of the "Great Texas Mosquito Festival". 40% deet minimum and an antihistamine afterward or when the itch begins.

I stick to 40% deet or better when they are bad. Had a few bites today, saltwater marsh mosquitoes and some other big ones. Heard the big ones coming and got ready for them. The saltwater ones sneak up on ya and bite so hard you wish the big ones were around. Summer is going to be really bad. So bad in '96 we had to wear masks to keep from inhaling them.

Dam grumpysrb thats bad . I allways hated bugs especially mosquitos flys and spiders. calis got a good supply of all 3

OK. We're complaining about "skeeters"? Come on up here to Northern New York; where the ground is frozen solid, snow covered, and detecting is highly limited. Put some Deet on and dig away with a smile, my friend. :)

aj

Wish we had some skeeters around here! Last two storms left about 20" snow here in west central Missouri

20 inches of snow or West Nile Virus? Huuum?

Do you have Fire Ants in Cali? We have an average of 400 mounds per acre, more than anywhere else, for some reason. If you drive by cattle land you see them. Looking like gofer holes sticking up.

Calis got fire ants spiders bees mosquitos flys fleas horse flys . These little critters are like mini aliens staging on atack on the human race and there wining and doing it at super sonic speeds. Summers here can be a byatch.:starwars:

Next time you go hunting try chewing some Big Red. Mosquitos are attracted to the CO2 that you expel. The cinnamon gum masks it well and keeps the skeeters at bay. I've tried it and it seems to work. My son uses cinnamon oil spray to repel those pests. And as far as fireants when I was in Fla. hit a great signal,layed my ATP down,got down on my knees and put one hand down and started a plug with my digger. I thought I had put my hand on a thistle plant. The searing burning,stinging pain was unbearable and coming up my arm. I looked at my hand and it was resting right on top of a fireant mound. Reminded me of the time many miles and many years ago when I was going to take a bath in a river and brushed up against the prettiest red bush you could imagine. The other guys thought I had been hit with all my screaming,thrashing and splashing in the water.

Its a wonder humans have survived at all on this inhospitable Planet, as fragile as we are!
Mud

lol, want to see and feel some bad skeeters? come to the swamps of south Georgia. You better have deet, without it you may need an epi pen to keep from going into anaphylactic shock

Those little Southern mosquitos are so nice and polite! They just slip up along side of you and say, "Pardon me sir, do you mind if I have a small drop of your hemoglobin?" Now those Northern mosquitos, boys, they weigh about a pound, fly in formation, like the Blue Angels, only faster, louder, and lots more of them, they think humans are some sort of fuel tanker, and buddy, each one wants a quart! They can bite right through the door of a pickup truck! If you have to go outside, you need to take some orange juice and cookies with you, just to take out the garbage! No matter how well you have your house buttoned up and screened in, they find a way! They will fly right up into the clothes dryer vent, kick the door open, make a pot of coffee, take your wallet and car keys, find you in your bed, a few of them will hold you down while the others slurp down a couple of gallons! We dont use no Deet up North, they seem to like the taste, so we sell it to the Tourists. Carbuerator cleaner will sort of knock them down for a little, especially if you light it on fire and spray it around some, this might give you just enough time for you to make out your will, and sign it in the blood you may have left...no sireee, nothing as bad as those Northern mosquitos!:rofl:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Those little Southern mosquitos are so nice and polite! They just slip up along side of you and say, "Pardon me sir, do you mind if I have a small drop of your hemoglobin?" Now those Northern mosquitos, boys, they weigh about a pound, fly in formation, like the Blue Angels, only faster, louder, and lots more of them, they think humans are some sort of fuel tanker, and buddy, each one wants a quart! They can bite right through the door of a pickup truck! If you have to go outside, you need to take some orange juice and cookies with you, just to take out the garbage! No matter how well you have your house buttoned up and screened in, they find a way! They will fly right up into the clothes dryer vent, kick the door open, make a pot of coffee, take your wallet and car keys, find you in your bed, a few of them will hold you down while the others slurp down a couple of gallons! We dont use no Deet up North, they seem to like the taste, so we sell it to the Tourists. Carbuerator cleaner will sort of knock them down for a little, especially if you light it on fire and spray it around some, this might give you just enough time for you to make out your will, and sign it in the blood you may have left...no sireee, nothing as bad as those Northern mosquitos!:rofl:
Mud

LOL!!!

I guess one big positive to living in Southeast Saskatchewan is the total lack of any insects/bugs for roughly 6 months every year. However, when spring hits, it seems the little critters EXPLODE back into existence, making up for lost time.

Those little southern mosquitoes gang up on you, Mud. Then they ask each other should we eat him here or carry out? We lived in an old frame house with a small barn and it was full of wasp nests. The big red ones that have stingers the size of a switchblade. Anyway, my brother shot the part that holds the nest to the ceiling and we were going to use the larvae as fishbait. When he stood up, he accidentally stuck his head into a large wasp nest bigger than his head. The barn had a low ceiling and the rafters were close to the ground. They attacked en masse and he ran and jumped over a 6 foot tall fig tree and collasped on the ground and Mama had to beat the wasps off of him with a stick broom. They didn't sting her or any of the rest of us, but they sure targeted him. He was a small boy and a good shot with a BB gun, but he was no match for those red wasps. How he jumped that fig tree is beyond me. Must have been the adrenaline. I had one sting me right in the top of the head when I was 4-5 years old and I spit up bright red blood and thought I was going to die. I got my revenge by going fishing and catching some nice bream with their larvae. Those northern mosquitoes scare me if they can bite through the door on a pickup truck....We dug worms and used yard rakes to get small crawfish out of the ditches that had standing water and leaves in them. The fish loved those small crawfish. Grasshoppers were good too and we learned if you rake a pile of leaves up in a sandy yard and leave it for a few weeks you can catch quite a few crickets when you rake the leaves aside. Now, all the fishing I do is dirt fishing and I don't do enough of that to cuss a cat. But, I enjoy it until the skeeters show up. The one bait trick we never used, I read about in Sports Afield was to put some chicken blood in an aluminum pie pan and some cotton balls soaked in it and the flies would lay their eggs in it and you could use the maggots for fish bait. Cotton balls soaked in chicken blood is some good catfish bait. If you can't beat these critters that torment us, use them for fish bait..lol HH.

mudpuppy said:
Mud