Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Danged if I didn't go and find something...

Doc Watson

I was doing a fly-over near one of my skirmish sites using Google Earth, and found a couple acres of woods up against the interstate that I thought might hold a few fired bullets. Didn't find but two small pieces of lead and new trash for a couple of hours, but as I got to the end of the woods it turned into a small clearing, and I found a plated spoon and other signs of prior occupation; possibly a house site. I was concentrating on high tones, hoping for maybe a coin or two, but my next signal was this............. two piece Virginia! It has the shank and a SCOVILL MFG CO / WATERBURY CT backmark.

[attachment 162257 2011.JPG]

The weeds are already up past my knees (I know, short legs) so I wasn't planning on returning there till the grass dies back in the winter. But, I was out that way working on permission for another site, and couldn't help stopping again to beat the grass back; and came up with the 1830 Large Cent. Some people find these by the dozens, but I've only managed a few in 37 years of detecting, so still get excited about a 180 year old penny. :yo: Using satellite imagery to scope out detecting sites is awesome; being able to look over a potential site prior to seeking permission, without trespass, is way better than the old days of going in blind. :thumbup:

[attachment 162258 2016.JPG] [attachment 162259 2017.JPG]

Happy hunting, and thanks for looking!

n/t

Here are two similar shots of my humble abode; the Atlas map on the left, taken during the summer from the looks of the tree canopies, and the Topo map on the right, taken in February, I believe. Between the trees and the late afternoon shadow you can hardly see the house, left of the pond in the one pic, whereas the Topo looks like they took their photo closer to noon with the sun overhead, minimalizing shadows. Not to knock anyones preferences, just presented FYI.

Doc