Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Darren and/or Mike (Virginia Beach) Ref Big Alum Scoop Wire Mesh

Any update on this earlier post?

Re: Mike (Virginia Beach), what's latest on the "big.........

Posted by: Darren (68.229.105.---)
Date: July 1, 2005 03:03PM

Hey Mike I have the plan to mod my scoop for wet sand.
Weld shop said material i need will be in next tues so
i hope to have scoop ready for next weekend if you want to see it
before you buy one.

Darren

for the rest of ya`ll i will be taking my big aluminium scoop and remove most
of the bottom and replacing it with alum. wire mesh that has 1/2" square holes
the plan is to have a large scoop that you can step on like a shovel but emptys like the wire ones.

I sent Darren and email to see what's going on. Haven't gotten up with him lately. Hopefully he has some news...

Darren,Look at the post--Non-metal scoops for the handy man.
July 9,2005 I made one out of 8" schedule 40 pipe and rilled 1/2 holes Works great I will make a 6 inch one next.I used pcv glue to use on plexi glass bottom.Used a plastic mop handle attached to the bottom so there would be no metal on it.Just wave over coil and see if you have the target.I used electrician tie ons to attach handle

Hello,

Thanks for the reminder.....

The discussion was started based upon the concept of a LIGHT WEIGHT (aluminum), "SHOVEL" TYPE (angled and reinforced for foot assisted digging), LONG HANDLED scoop that would "drain" wet sand QUICKLY.

Even though the scoops with round holes drain dry sand well, they tend to be a real pain when it comes to wet sand unless you are in the water and use wave action, or a swishing action. I can see how it would be nice (as you described) to just be able to wave the scoop under the coil to determine if you have the object in it, but if so, you still have to be able to find it and remove it. The wire mesh scoops are found to be much easier to drain wet sand when you are not in the water itself. Darren was attempting to modify an aluminum scoop by removing part of the bottom of the scoop and adding wire mesh.

I have tried the round hole scoops, both hand and long handled. I have gone back to my original small shovel blade on a 40" wood handle (1.2 lbs). Once I quickly "empty" a hole, I pinpoint (with the detector) the piles of sand removed, then use a small, wire mesh hand scoop to acquire the object.

Just A suggestion for a non metal scoop.I laid out my drilling so there was very little meat between the holes that can be easily filed square with a small triangle file,jig saw,dremel.You only make one move with the non metal while you said you make four.That would mean if I had 100 hits I would wave the scoop over my coil 300 times less than you do.The strength of the schedule 40 pipe is what makes this so good.I don't get to the beaches too often so i decided to try to make my detecting time more efficient so I tried different ways. this worked good for me.Allowing the people to post their views is what makes this forum so good.Keep up the good work.

Hello,

Can you post pictures of the scoop? Would be interested in seeing it. I just can get a feel for how you did it (even going back to previous post). Can't imagine being able to dig 18" to 20" deep in wet sand the way that you described it.

Thanks,

Sand Shagger, I'm sorry I don't have a camera,but it is no different than any other scoop except.Look at your long handle scoop sitting upright on the ground.I cut out a 3/4 inch hole in the top and put the handle on the inside all the way to the bottom-8 inches,I put 4 electricians heavy plastic tie ons through the bottom around the handle and out through the bottom of the scoop and tightened them.Thats all there is to it.I also formed a so called cutting front to it.For the bottom i used 1/4 inch plexi glass with the holes laid out close.You Put your foot on the bottom and push it in the sand as far as you want.Like I said,make sure you use schedule 40 pipe,Strong as steel.

Good Luck

Sorry I forgot to mention,PCV cement the plexi glass to the bottom.Go to the outside edge,that way you are pushing the whole pipe with your foot.

...Darren must not be checking his email or the forums for some reason. Maybe he's got something going on or out of town this week. He'll check in eventually I guess. :shrug:

Thanks every one for your views.That's what makes this forum so good.There are items posted that we all know about,but may help some one that is just starting out or someone that never gave it a thought,Main thing is that it is all helpful.

Thanks again