Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Date is wrong when recording a hunt

Overvoltage

I just noticed that all of the hunts I have downloaded have the wrong dates and durations. I downloaded one from today and the date is 23 March 2058. How do you change the date? Also, the start and stop times are off by a lot. Not the actual time of day but the duration of the hunt. I hunted for 1.5 hours today and when I downloaded the hunt the duration start and stop time was 14:17 to 21:21 hours for a duration of 7 hours. Also the GPS seems to be a little off by about 10 to 15 feet. any suggestions?

I guess this one has everyone stumpped. I know it does me.

Page 49 of the manual explains some information on your questions. In the CTX go to the main menu, Options and then Locality. In Locality Settings you can set up the time, time zone, time format and measurement units. To set the time in the CTX, the GPS Time Sync should not be selected. (That is found in Options and GPS. Once the time is correctly set, you can reselect the GPS Time Sync). In XChange2 there are some settings in Preferences (small black box, upper right corner of the XChange2 screen) you need to set to go along with your CTX settings. As far as the GPS being off 10-15 feet, in the grand scheme of metal detecting that is not very far. If you are trying to compare the accuracy to GPS survey points, it won't be anywhere near that accurate. There are a lot of things involved in the accuracy that takes way to long to cover. I got my CTX when they were first released. Being a retired construction surveyor, I wanted to find out how close and how consistently the CTX would put you in a reasonable distance of a known point. I set five nails in my pasture got cords to them with the CTX. When I use the CTX to "refind" them, I am normally within 5-10 feet sometimes a little farther bur rarely more than 15 feet. I did another test check by putting known GPS cords from a USGS survey bench mark in my CTX. I used the CTX to take me to the BM and was within 8 feet. I was very satisfied with that result. I hope some of this answers your questions.............

I already have my CTX set up the way you explained. I verified my UTC time zone and it is correct. Exchange 2 and my CTX are configured exactly the same. Is this the only way to set the date? I did realize that in my area I can use GPS Enhanced as the SBAS is available in my location. This may help with GPS accuracy.

The reason I noticed the GPS being off is I have some areas that I am trying to keep track of where I have detected so I can continue searching areas I have not covered and I is showing my path down the middle of the road instead of by the sidewalk.

Overvoltage....... As far as the GPS accuracy, the signal strength, and or acquisition, can vary, due to time of day, structures, etc., and may can make some differences in where the tracking plots. I have had instances with my experiments that I have done, where it was very close and some where it is not as close as I thought it would be. However, that was signal, or lack of signal, related. If you use the Pause function, or temporarily lose signal then regain it, the GPS tracking will be shown as a straight line from the point where the signal was paused/lost to the point where the signal was regained. The same applies to starting a Geohunt. If the hunt is initiated by pressing the Record button, but the GPS signal has not been acquired yet, your geotrack will not be recorded until the signal is gained. (the GPS icon will stop blinking on the upper left side of the display when satellites are acquired). This may, also, affect the time of your Geohunt , as far as beginning and ending times.
For setting the date, have you tried using GPS Time Sync? You might give that a try when you are in an area that allows GPS signal acquisition. Also, if that doesn't help, doing a reset then reselecting the time sync may get the date corrected........Keep us posted on how things go.................

OK, a follow-up to this problem. The time and date on the CTX itself is right. I did the GPS Time Sync again just to be sure. I now think the problem is in the Exchange 2 program. When I click on a Start, Stop or Find point on the map side of the screen the pop-up box that has the date, time, and coordinates still has the wrong date and time. The corresponding box on the left of the screen with the saved data from the CTX has the correct time and date of the hunt or find point. Opening up the edit does not give the option of editing the date/time.

Okay, so the date/time are correct in the CTX for the FP, WP, & GH. And the date/time are correct in the information boxes to the left of the map screen in XChange2, BUT incorrect in the box that pops up on the map screen, when opening the item for editing. I suppose the first thing to verify would be, that the time, 12hr or 24hr, are set the same in both the CTX and the XChange2 preferences......Then, there are two ways to open the item for editing. One, in the info box in the column left of the map screen, click the pad-pencil icon for the item to edit/view. Or, on the map screen, for GH editing, click on the start or finish flag for GH in question, or for FP/WP click on the corresponding target icon for the item to edit. If the icon on the map screen was clicked, a small pop-up box with information about the item should then appear. Click edit, and a larger pop-up box appears and allows editing of date/time and target information, as well as adding notes and pictures. (it is the same box that will appear if you click the pad/pencil icon of the item in the boxes left of the map screen) Click the pad/pencil icons, to edit date/time...If nothing I've mentioned helps, I suppose reloading the XChange2 app would be in order. Installing XChange2 has been discussed several times, I believe for me during the download of the app, I turned of my "computer protection" software during the XChange2 installation process, things loaded fine that way.

C&RHunter...Thanks for all of your input. When I open the edit boxes the date and time is correct. As you said, I may have to reload Xchange2. I think I will just live with it for now.

Ok, after over the course of a year I have gained knowledge and experience with the CTX. In case anyone was wondering what happened with this thread, I figured out that you have to stop recording a hunt before you turn off the CTX and all the dates and times will be correct. If you just turn the CTX off, at least on mine, I think it confuses the machine and it messes up the date and time of the hunt.

Yes... I found this out today, as I did not use a CTX in 1971...lol. Heck....I wasn't even alive then. :detecting: