Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Day 1 of Year 2, Are you kidding me?

mojotrout

Ive posted a few finds from a 1915 abandoned house down the street from me, including my first ever war nickel and first half-dollar. Today was my first day of my second year of this fascinating hobby and I wanted to get out for a few hours but it was raining pretty hard. It finally stopped around 3pm so I strolled down to the road and put two hours in at the aforementioned house. I was just about to call it quits ( that's the Find's equivilent to Penthouse Forum's "I never thought this would happen to me", isnt it?) when I got a pretty solid 44 on the 705. I was pretty excited since nothing hits solid in this roof nail graveyard. In fact, the only solid hit Ive gotten was that half dollar so I shouldnt have surprised when this shows itself not 10 feet from where I found that last half-

[attachment 285243 half2.JPG]

A nice condition 1945 half dollar! An ambarrassing part of the hunt came when I realized I had previously dug a target three inches from this one during a prior hunt. I noticed the old plug when I dug the new one. The lesch is proppoing up the old plug in this shot-

[attachment 285244 half3.JPG]

Here are the two halfs, from the same yard, a week apart. What better way to start my second year than the way I ended my first?! Pretty jazzed up!

[attachment 285246 half4.JPG]
[attachment 285247 half5.JPG]

:clapping: Excellent!! :thumbup: She's beauty ! Congratulations!!

That would be a find ('s) I would never stop talking about. Congrats!!! As much as I like finding jewelry at the beach, theirs usually no time or history to it being lost. An old coin like those you found, have a story and history behind their lose that we can only make up our own scenario. Those are two really nice looking coins....Keep at it, good luck!!!

Gotta love those big silvers! Nice find!!

thanks fellas! By the way, the half dollar was roughly 5 inches deep and if anyone's interested the settings on the X-Terra 705 were as follows:

Sens = 18
NC = 1
Disc = nothing notched
GB = 27
GB Tracking = on
Thresh = 5
Tones = 99
9 inch 7.5 kHz coil

Man that awesome! A silver 1/2 is still on my list, gotten clad but those are a let down. What did you say that address was? I seem to have forgotten.....:confused::cheers:

very nice find!

I'd like to recommend that you consider changing your plug cutting method though. The best approach is to leave a hinge and flop the plug over, as opposed to pulling it out entirely. i.e. cut a flap instead of a plug. This keeps some roots attached and give it a better chance of recovering... especially in dry conditions. Not trying to criticize, just trying to help you out! :) I can see that you are keeping it clean, otherwise!

Dirt Hound said:
very nice find!

I'd like to recommend that you consider changing your plug cutting method though. The best approach is to leave a hinge and flop the plug over, as opposed to pulling it out entirely. i.e. cut a flap instead of a plug. This keeps some roots attached and give it a better chance of recovering... especially in dry conditions. Not trying to criticize, just trying to help you out! :) I can see that you are keeping it clean, otherwise!

Thanks Dirt Hound! I totally agree with your approach. I normally cut plugs much cleaner, horseshoe shaped, and keep the "hinge" on one side, but the yard Im working is very weedy, very wet, very torn up with gopher tunnels and ruts from people parking on it, etc., and will likely be completely replaced if this property ever gets sold. The house is going to be torn down because its been condemned as uninhabitable. Under these conditions I don't take the normal care I do with groomed lawns, parks, sidewalk strips, etc.

One of the neighbors stopped and talked for a minute and she said "wow, you're really putting some time in, look at all of those holes you've dug!" She was referring to the thirty-forty gopher piles scattered across the front yard, not my plugs.

Haha... damn gophers... giving us all a bad name! And ya... I probably wouldn't take as much care under those circumstances either! :)