Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Day 3 15" 3khz coil coil a keeper

reffitt20

The day before I found a 2 cent piece in field, Sunday I started in field but ground was just hot, too much iron. So I drove a 1/4 mile down the road to another place. I just want to say I doubt I have two coins like this ever again but I was shocked that I found either one of them to be honest. The signal was 46 and screaming and I only had the sensitivity on 18. I changed directions 45 degrees and the signal was same, unchanging, screaming a 46. I dug a deep plug and the depth ended up being 7,8 inches I got close with pin pointer but still didn't see it so I stuck finger in plug and I felt a little bit and I said to myself oh thanks another pop can flatten. Well I pull my hand back and the first picture is what I seen. It took my breath away. God has blessed me in my life and I am very thankful to him. I am still in shock! Cleanest signal so far with coil and I am glad I bought it.

The 15" in clean ground is excellent
I am getting better at sifting through some of the junk but it just picks so much stuff up.
Pin pointing is pretty hairy with it as well if there is a lot targets or junk in ground.
If the numbers do not move more than 2 increments target should be desirable but more often than not I am chasing sweet sounding targets and coming up with iron trash.
If I hear something screaming and sounding good but when I pin point and negative numbers come up its always trash.
I have not found a great target in same hole with iron yet.
I run my machine open nothing notched out and try to get my sensitivity up but with this coil its difficult to get it past 20 where I have been. too trashy, I need a digger coil.

Great find, New Orleans mint too! Only found one and that was years ago.

Never found one but all my clad ends up being converted into those beautiful coins.

Hope you find lots more.

What an awesome find. Imagine the years it has spent there waiting for you to dig it up !

Congratulations on a fantastic find! :thumbup:

The 3kHz coils are my favorites for the areas I hunt and the targets I'm after.

I just bought a Coiltek 6" Digger coil. I know Michigan and NW Ohio ground is different but what settings do you run with the Digger coil?
-What is your best depth find with it?
-How close are you getting in between trash and coins.
-How often are you checking ground balance and noise canceling?

-I run wide open, sensitivity as hot as i can. I turn on auto tracking every so often then turn it off. I run in 4 tones and 99 as well and the threshold at 11.
-I have been running it for 3 or 4 years now and I have become much more efficient but I am a life long learner so any advice would be great.

I know your always giving excellent advice on these boards and you really are doing a service. I really appreciate it. You are a great person for helping people on here. Thanks for your time sir I am grateful.

Where to start?

I guess the depth of the finds is dependent on the specific site around here. Our soil makeup can change pretty dramatically in just a few feet in some places. On average I would say that it's about what I'd expect with a 6" coil. Generally 6-8" is it.

Separation is generally excellent, but even more impressive is the difference in response between most trash and higher conducting coins. During my initial testing with the "Digger", I found a standing quarter that had a rusty bolt close enough to stain it.

Noise Cancelling is the first thing that I do if the machine becomes at all erratic. I normally start my hunts by first turning the SENS wide open and noise cancelling. Then I find a spot of clean ground to Auto balance on, after which I adjust the SENS to a point that the machine is stable. Tracking ON virtually all the time. I see no point in turning it OFF under most circumstances.

I like 99 tones and AM for most areas. I will go to zero disc at some sites, but it's rare.

Threshold level is going to be dependent on your hearing, your headphones, and ambient noise levels. You want it to be barely audible, but clear enough that you can hear breaks or changes in it. With my hearing and my headphones mine is normally at 4.

Sensitivity is tricky. I like to run fairly hot, but in some cases you just can't. I've found that sweep speed is critical relative to SENS. If you want to run hot, you have to sweep at a snail's pace, which is tough to do with a small coil...or rather it's easy to find yourself going too fast.
You can actually use SENS to help you regulate your sweep speed. If you start out slow and everything is stable, but over time you start getting increasingly more falsing or the machine seems to be becoming less stable, odds are it's because you're speeding up. So always slow down first, before messing with lowering the SENS. That little coil is hot, and it's looking at a lot, which takes time....so give it time by slowing down. I actually encourage people to experiment with how slow they can go and still get good clear response on good targets. This isn't a race, and even if it were, this coil wins by being slow and steady.

More targets are missed by people thinking that their fast machines will still see everything while they swing it like a weed whip. I love folks like that, because I know that I can always find good stuff in their wake. several of my favorite finds were at places that people told me were "hunted out". Indeed those sites had been pounded by everyone with a detector within 50 miles, yet I've found Barbers and other coins as old as 1844 there, and I personally know people that had worked them hard with E-tracs.
Bottom line.....going slow is KEY to success. Whenever someone chides you for going slow with your Minelab, just smile and nod, and keep doing what you're doing. Odds are you'll find what they didn't.

That is a beautiful coin. That is on my bucket list. Congratulations.

Old Longhair, thanks for stressing that slow swinging will pay off! I'm definitly finding that out firsthand to be true the past few months. Been find more coins at the spot that I have been detecting since early October. Been finding the stuff I missed before because of sweeping a bit to fast or not concentrating on overlapping my sweeps properly! Very important! Kudos! HH All

Emmett:usaflag: