Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DD Coils for Whites 6.59 freq machines

Daniel Tn

This has been a question that has came up many times in the past. With today's market on detectors being stagnated, it seems the after market companies are the ones doing the growing....designing new coils for machines has been a big hit for them. Companies like DeTech, NEL, and some others have really brought some life back into older machines. So I was wondering if anybody knew of any of them making coils for the Whites 6.59 machines. Everybody has always wanted a DD coil for them; to my knowledge, the only DD available for them was the mini shooter made by Whites and that a lot of people didn't like that particular coil. What I would like to see is a 10x12 or 12x13 side DD coil for the 6.59 platform. There might be some out there for all I know; although I've not ran across any as of yet.

Would be nice, just not sure if detech or whoever would invest money in production on older technology detector coils.

In their days there were a few double D's available in 10" and 14" for the White's 6kHz range of machines.
Today I doubt one can earn the money to get the making cost back in this detector range,
which was discontinued a few yrs back.

In the photo the 14" one is attached to the IDX Pro.
The coil still is in the basement, waiting for coming to life again.

MlfyMqf5L07tPIMz40ZwUrhd4xM9H36TcDVpbkweSchAcpCbRgIZp3Y2Bk8TfhY9ixsVLAzo3g=w1920-h1080-no

Since the coils for them are decently cheap, I was thinking of reverse engineering one of them. There are some great coil schematics out there, and since there are a couple DD designs for them out; it would be reasonable to take one part and see what resistance readings the 6.59s require and or do best at. One might even get away with taking a preexisting coil with similar specs and trying that. Example...the Garrett Ace series run at 7.2 kHz and ALL of the aftermarket coil companies build DD coils for them...including DeTech and NEL. That might be an option to look into; see what resistance the wires are at, and might get away with something as simple as changing the plugs out.

Has any one tried a Whites V rated coil? One of the frequencies they run on is 7.5 so maybe they would work on a old Whites.

The coil that i would really like too try on my IDX Pro is the Hotshot coil that i use on my DFX,they did as far as i am aware make a Hotshot coil for the 6.59khz machines but are as rare as rocking horse manure,but i do have 2 Hotshot for the DFX/MXT which do operate at both freq 3 and15khz so maybe the coil may work at the mid range freq of 6.59,that i am dont have a clue as yet.

But although this thread is about DD coils or lack of,that would make me a very happy chappy if it would work,will probably give it a try over the weekend,hey both have the same plug layout,so may work of a fashion.

Must admit although the DFX is a far more technical machine,the enjoyment factor comes from using the IDX Pro though.

Daniel:

I got one of the adapters from eBay to go from a Fisher F2 screw-in 6.6 KHz coil to a White's 6.59 KHz machine. Tried the 11" Biaxial DD coil and the 5" DD coil on my IDX and XLT. Neither one worked. Depth was only a couple inches and the ID was off. Also tried a 10x12 Detech for the F2 with the same results. Maybe the circuit can't handle a DD coil and that's why the White's 4x6 shooter is no good.

Alan

Mega

Applied Creativity (Bigfoot, Hotfoot coils) made a Goldfoot 2.5" x 10" coil for the 6.59 KHz White's machines. Like the Bigfoot I believe it was a Figure 8 coil not a DD coil. There was one on eBay 2 or 3 months back. I had a Hotfoot for my MXT Pro and liked it but preferred my 8x6 SEF which has much better depth.

Alan

I bought one of those adapters last year that would do Garrett coil on a Whites...it sucked also...I just think the homade Doo Hickey thing the guy was making were bunk

do have function.

But that's it. NO depth and ID is way off.
But to test if the detector will work it can be used.

donl98632 said:
Has any one tried a Whites V rated coil? One of the frequencies they run on is 7.5 so maybe they would work on a old Whites.

I've already hit Vito with the "hey can I buy that Deeptech" but that ain't happening....yet. I always hold out hope. And Mega is right,though the modded IDXPro is the only Whites I have it is PURE enjoyment to run. No fiddling with this and that,cross checking in ten different modes and screens.....your setup and the trigger is all you need. Would it be better with a DD other than the 4x6? Vito knows. The fact that his coil isn't for sale may be evidence of some kind as to how well it works! We can all hope and holler about someone making coils but I fear in the end all we'll have are sad faces and sore throats.

There is a guy who goes by 'Simon-Nel' who produces a 12" DD coil for the XLT. He lists these on feepay. Ukraine made. :detecting:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqFN_52shWA[/video]

Mega said:
The coil that i would really like too try on my IDX Pro is the Hotshot coil that i use on my DFX,they did as far as i am aware make a Hotshot coil for the 6.59khz machines but are as rare as rocking horse manure...

Rocking Horse Manure! This I would like to see! But seriously, I have a Hotshot coil for my XL Pro and it works great. It's a little dated. The VDI is a little skewed but you can get used to that pretty fast. With this coil I can squeak out another 2 inches max.

It is NOT a DD but concentric. Yes I would like to see a 10" to 15" DD... Oh well.

TC-NM