Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DD coils verses non DD coils.

knarfj

In equal ground conditions are DD coils capable of more or less depth of detection than an equal sized non DD coils? I

What type of technology would you use these coils on ?? VLF or Pulse,or what specific machine would the coil be used on.

DD coils in normal ground get LESS depth than the concentric coils.

In high mineralized ground the DD coil will more than likely get the better depth.

The advantages of the DD over the concentric is better ground coverage, better target separation, in most cases, and better in mineralized ground.

Personally, I can't think of a time when I'd prefer a concentric over a DD coil.

Mega B said:
What type of technology would you use these coils on ?? VLF or Pulse,or what specific machine would the coil be used on.

My question applies to any single frequency VLF detector.

Southwind said:
DD coils in normal ground get LESS depth than the concentric coils.
In high mineralized ground the DD coil will more than likely get the better depth.
The advantages of the DD over the concentric is better ground coverage, better target separation, in most cases, and better in mineralized ground.
Personally, I can't think of a time when I'd prefer a concentric over a DD coil.

Thanks for your comments Southwind. Your first two comments are very beneficial and reflect more of the type of input I was looking for. :thumbup:

:detecting:

Comparing coils of the same physical size and shape, and operating at the same frequency:​

The concentric coil will in generalised terms, detect about 10% deeper than a DD coil;, assuming both are optimally ground balanced at time of usage.

This statement is applicable only when the same unit is utilised for the comparison of both search heads.

So it is obviously implied, that the frequency and all mode factors are the same.

Without such conformity, then no quantitative comparisons are meaningfull..

N.B.....In theory(and air testing) the gain is roughly 18%, but in my garden, in that soil, the localised generalisation

usually constrains the gain to about 10%

Matt