Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DD coils verses non DD coils.

knarfj

In equal ground conditions are DD coils capable of more or less depth of detection than an equal sized non DD coil? I

Sorry, knarfj, your question has no straight answer.

I've been working with both DD and concentric searchcoil designs for over 30 years, and both designs are still with us. For the last 15 years or so I've tended to favor DD coils but not necessarily for reasons you've cited.

You can hand two experienced beeper users identical machines with identical searchcoils, have them search in the same area, and one will say it goes 6 inches deep and the other will say it goes 9 inches deep. And both will be telling the truth. They just happen to disagree on what "deep" means to them personally. Now if they were swinging concentrics and you substitute DD's what do you suppose will happen? Nobody knows until it does happen, and even then folks will argue about the results.

If you have a concentric and are being tempted by a DD, the only way to know whether you'll like it or not is to get rich enough to buy one, and then take it for a test drive.

Hey Knarfj, I am on the same mission basically as you. Want to make an addition but don't want to choose unwisely . I think what Dave is trying to tell us is beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to preference of coil styles.