Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DECAY CURVE PLOTS

Eric Foster

Here is a bit of history as these plots were done by me in 1967. The object was to look at the responses of different width brass rings and see how it affected the rate of decay. It also demonstrates that the response is that of the object which previously had been subjected to a magnetic field, and the field quickly removed. This results in eddy currents being generated in the ring, which then decay according to the current path around the ring. i.e. thicker rings, the disc, and then the bar show an ever lengthening response. At first glance it may appear that all the linear curves are what is called an exponential decay, but substituting a logarithmic amplifier instead of a linear one, shows distinct differences. In the linear display plot the signal starts from a negative value of 1000 and then decays into the 0 level toward the top of the page. The ripples and spikes are random noise cause mainly by other equipment in the building and by traffic on the road outside the laboratory. All the rings, disc and bar are the same diameter, the rings and disc are the same thickness and differ only in the depth of the plane of the ring. All the transmitter switching to reduce the current to zero takes place well within the 50uS period at the start of the traces.

The characteristic of the log amplifier is such that the gain increases as the signal reduces. This has the effect of increasing the noise the further down the trace you are. Eventually the noise would swamp the signal and the plot become meaningless. Plots 1 and 2 show an almost straight line, which is typical of a single exponential. 3 and 4 are showing a slight curvature for the first 100uS showing that the heavier cross section of these rings has a faster exponential superimposed on the primary one due to what is known as diffusion of the magnetic field in and out of the target. 5 and 6 show increasing curvature due to the ever greater diffusion that takes place in larger and more conductive sections. The log plot inverts the linear one, so that the maximum signal is at the top and decays downwards.

The large spike that appears at 400uS is just an artifact from the pulse generator.

Devices used were 9908 Optical Electronics logarithmic amplifier. Tektronix scope with sampling plug-in (one of the big tube jobs that doubled as a fan heater), and a Hewlett Packard XY plotter.

I have further plots for coins and other non-ferrous items, and also nails, bits of plated steel etc but these are for another day.

I thought I would add a soil plot. I can't remember where this soil came from, but it contains superparamagnetic iron minerals, hence the response. This shows a different feature when compared to conductive object responses. The log response is still very curved and looks little different from an exponential. However, if you plot the log of the amplitude against the log of time, then you would end up with a straight line. A typical 1/t response for non-conductive iron minerals of the superparamagnetic single domain type. A good example is Australian ironstone.

Eric.

Priceless data. Very informative....VERY educational for many. Your work/efforts never go unnoticed. Thanks Eric!

Hi Tom,

I am on holiday in Malta at the moment, but more plots will be posted when I get back, including some interesting recent ones.

Eric

They get noticed. If this could be added to a visual screen on the TDI it may aid in iding iron.

This is exactly the type of data I hoped to see!

I anxiously await the plots of other targets.

Kevco

Tom, for you above plots are very informative and very educational. Can you explain me what represents this information and what you can learn from it? For me this is very difficult because the information is in time domain.

Kevco, for me this is not exactly the type of data I hoped to see.

Tom and Kevco, I wonder how you can understand the parameters of processes in the time domain. Only in the frequency domain can be seen whether the king is naked.

For me, the upper curves represent the step-down responses of nonferrous targets and magnetic soil. I see that time-constants are different, but in time domain I can not see how are time-constants - one , two or more. To understand character of responses and to design method of sampling for discrimination and GND elimination, I should transform each above step-down response in frequency response.

Despite a function in time domain transforms as two functions in frequency domain - magnitude vs frequency and phase vs frequency or Re (f) and Im (f), it is easy to understand how to sample and how to process data received at pulse induction, what should be the form of TX current, in what frequency band should operate the receiver. For me "pulse induction" means non-sinusoidal or "wide band" metal detector.
The information in above plots can be used for design of narrow band metal detector if someone can present it in frequency domain.

Diamagnetic signature-to-hull emitter correlation (from the brass target) when external EM source is removed. Somewhat linear.....then transitioning to asymptotic slope. Collectively......this data... in concert with dirt-decay graph expresses a 'window-of-opportunity' for electronic analyzation..........and the difficulties thereof. A very rapid (read = minimum) pulse delay.....coupled with a coil (and coil wire) that has minimum capacitance is one of the 'alterable' directions that we can undertake......albeit certain laws of physics cannot be changed. The: Adapt, Improvise & Overcome approach.

Tom

This weekend marks the first day of unemployment for more than 1,100 workers at NASA, as the space agency winds down its shuttle program.

The mass layoff is only the beginning, though.

A local television station in Orlando is reporting that more than 9,000 NASA employees are set to lose their jobs as the shuttle program reaches its end.

"We are looking at 9,000 aerospace workers who will be affected with another 14,000 indirectly affected in community," Lisa Rice, president of Brevard Workforce