Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deciding between the MXT and the XLT....HELP!!

bluemax

oK Ineed a little help. I recently got back into the metal detecting hobby after a 10 year absense. I picked up a Garrett Ace 250 a couple of months ago and have been having a blast. Now my grandson has the bug so it's now my opportunity to upgrade and pass on the Ace 250 to him. After reading and re-reading all the different newsgroups I'm torn between the White's MXT and XLT. I live in Western Massachusetts and usually detect at parks or old historical sites where possible, on rare occasions I'd like to take it to the beach. Both units have what I concider there own good points as far as setupgoes so my question is what whould make the most sense as a primary detector between the two of these. IS the XLT more stable in sites with alot of trash, like public parks? I see differing opinions. Any input will be aprreciated.

I would not choose either one. Consider the IDX, hands down the best choice for older sites and trashy areas. It has all the depth you will need (just as good as the two you mentioned in fact) and will hunt the iron/trash much better. Probably with superior ID capability also.

More $$ and the latest tech does not always equal the best choice.

Tom

add my support for it with this same-o, same-o suggestion. GET AN IDX PRO.

I use my MXT, on occasion. And I'll be getting another Ace 250 and probably another up-line Garrett as well as another White's XL Pro.

But my preferred unit for the beach is my IDX Pro. My most used unit for working playground sites is my IDX Pro. When I go to the ghost towns and other sites with dense iron trash, I mainly use my IDX Pro.

The stock 950 coil for the beach or maybe open sportsfields, and either one of the 6

Always felt the IDX pro is the most bang for the bucks with its flash technology...However to answer your question MXT is user friendly and just getting back into the hobby may serve you better than the XLT which has a learning period....

that, of the two you asked about, the MXT would be the easier to learn and possibly enjoy more (easily).

Monte

The reason I say that is because the XLT, MXT, and the IDX Pro Tom and I suggested, all have variable Discrimination controls. The XLT's is digitally selected and the MXT and IDX Pro use a knobbed control to set it.

The QXT Pro, however, is totally dependant upon the eight (:geek: factory preset discriminate 'Zones' or 'segments.' Way too restrictive for those who would like to have more precise control of the rejection of annoying trash.

Monte

I have an XLT and like it a lot, it's easy to use. A friend has an MXT, I think it is a little harder to setup and tweak but I don't own one, they are both good machines. Foil will fool most detectors and I have dug many old silver coins and a few rings that ID and sound like foil, but they are a slightly stronger tone. Good luck on your choice and HH, Mike