Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep coins sound like iron on Quattro?

pelanj

Today I was hunting my favourite beach, which I have pretty cleaned out with another detectors. All I try not to dig and keep in the ground is rusty iron. All pulltabs, foils and bottlecaps must go:) I tried my new 15x12 SEF and expected to find some deep stuff I have missed before. The deepest I dug was an old 1 DKK (CuNi, 1" diameter, 6.8 g) from around 11 inches (my Pistolprobe was almost whole inside the hole). I know the coin was there as I was scraping the sand slowly with the showel awaiting a soda can:) There were no really shallow coins as I have picked out all those easy targets last time. Those sounded "right" most of the time.

What made me worried is that most of the time the coin sounded like iron (low tone in ferrous) and only time from time I got a kind of rolling middle tone. It was also hard to pinpoint. I thought there was a piece of iron in the hole, but after I removed the coin, all the surroundings were quiet. This has repeated a few times with another smaller and shallower coins, most of them CuNi but I have found a badly corroded Cu coin and (probably) a copper plated iron one as well. There are quite many signals on the beach which sound good with the first swing, but while investigating, the tone stabilizes lower at iron. I tried to dig a few (save them for later:) and it was either a very rusty nail or a rusty steel bottle cap.

As a result, I am afraid I am leaving some stuff behind as the low tones tell me not to dig. Does it also happen to you that deep coins give a low "iron" tone? When the coin is dug out on the surface, the "iron" tone is still present, but much less. Could it be a property of the large coil? But the stock one does very similar things...

pelanj said:
What made me worried is that most of the time the coin sounded like iron (low tone in ferrous) and only time from time I got a kind of rolling middle tone. It was also hard to pinpoint. I thought there was a piece of iron in the hole, but after I removed the coin, all the surroundings were quiet. This has repeated a few times with another smaller and shallower coins, most of them CuNi but I have found a badly corroded Cu coin and (probably) a copper plated iron one as well. There are quite many signals on the beach which sound good with the first swing, but while investigating, the tone stabilizes lower at iron. I tried to dig a few (save them for later:) and it was either a very rusty nail or a rusty steel bottle cap.

As a result, I am afraid I am leaving some stuff behind as the low tones tell me not to dig. Does it also happen to you that deep coins give a low "iron" tone? When the coin is dug out on the surface, the "iron" tone is still present, but much less. Could it be a property of the large coil? But the stock one does very similar things...

Hello pelanj, the coins could have been on edge. Just today I found 2 US Quarters that id lower then they should have, normally id at 38 on the meter, the ones I found today id'ed between 34 and 37. When I dug them up they were on edge. I did find a you tube videos that sounds similar to what you described, you can find it here. Let me know if the video is similar to what you experienced.

John

Hi John,
great videos! Yes, it sounded similar - a great tip with the "-3". I will watch the ID next time. I know the 1 DKK was laying at some 30 degrees to the surface, but do not know about the others, I always found them in the dug out sand pile. I am getting more and more impressed with the Quattro - it needs definitely some learning time - and it is great that people share their experience as those things cannot be found in the manuals.

Now I know I must have missed quite some coins during my last field hunt. All the nice "dig me" signals were large pieces of aluminium jar lids or cream tubes. And there must be coins in that field as I have found one from 18th century just laying on the surface. It is not ploughed yet, so it is quite hard to dig and I did the mistake of taking only the nice signals...

Today I tried another beach, but there were pulltabs and bottlecaps everywhere. I tried to dig one "-3" signal (close to the sea) and it was a steel paper staple. It made no sense to dig deep there, so maybe I can add more tomorrow or after the weekend's regular field hunt.

Thank you pelanj, well you never know until you try. I would guess that it would be difficult to use this method where there is a lot of iron trash in an area. Last Friday I was hunting in ferrous tones and I got a nice sounding silver tone ID'ing 38-39 one direction. When I turned 90 degrees on the target I got broken iron low tone. I thought maybe a coin next to a piece of iron. and I dug it up. It turned out to be a small rusted bolt so the Quattro was doing it's job and told me not to dig. But you never know what could turn up. Another thing that happen when I was hunting in ferrous tone that I thought was odd is that I got a high silver tone on a object, but the TID number on the meter was 10. So I was thinking that maybe a silver coin under a piece of trash. I dug the object and it turn out to be a rusted steel twist off bottle cap and it crumbled to little bits into my hand. It must had one heck of a halo in the ground. Again the Quattro told me not to dig, but again you never know what could have turned up. Let us know how you do.

John

I have a similar experience with the shallow bottle caps - here they ID somewhere around 12 - 16 and sound the highest tone. Opposed to a pulltab, which gives a lower, but unstable tone. The 1, 2 and 5 DKK ID usually in the same range, but have a stable low sound - at least the shallow ones I dug today.

I yet have to find a coin close to a nail. It did not happen to me with any of my detectors. All those strange signals were either trash or a deep coin. After removing the target, the surrounding has been always silent until now. Except for one case where I found 3 Al junk rings in one hole, but that did not sound even close to iron:)

Hi

I live in Europe, and use my Quattro once in a while now, after having been an intensive user of this unit. Reason is the weight and me old bones...

Nickel, I mean pure nickel, is tricky metal for most mds. Also coins with a steel core will read correctly if they lie flat in the sand, but will read as iron when on edge. I don't bother with those coins.

According to my experience, very deep coins (I use the standard coil) and that is between 12 and 14+ inches, will sound choppy. You won't get a good signal; rather a clippy sound at each sweep, and a jumpy ID. When that occurs, just PinPoint. The slightest evidence of metal should make you dig.

I have no experience of deep coins sounding like iron, even not the 2