Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep coins with the MXT

A

Anonymous

I have been using the MXT with a 6x10 DD Eclipse coil. I have seen reports of other users getting quarters over 10", and dimes at 8".
For those who may have accomplished this, how does the machine act with such a target? Do you get a solid VDI? Is it a high tone in the Relic mode? Does the pinpoint mode give you a fairly accurate idea as to actual depth?
I have got a few signals that VDI 80 or more, with the 'confidence block' at 1/4, and the depth usually 6"-8". Every one I come up with an empty hole. I dig at least 10". Maybe I'm not going deep enough?
So, what do you look for with deep targets? How is the audio response affected? I don't know, because I haven't been there yet!

Scott
I have dug a couple dimes at 9 inches using the 14 inch coil. Relic mode, got a good repeatable beep, ( high tone ) The vdi read 77 and the showed 10 inches. with the stock coil I got one quarter at 7 inches vdi of 83 was in coin mode and got a good beep, had a 2-3rds confidence bar. I got nickels at 8 inches with the stock coil they id'ed at 18-20 had a good beep and full confidence bar. Do you use a pin pointer ?? I would almost bet it would be shallow trash or a larger deep target. Do you get a consistant reading ?? I dug a horse shoe at 2 feet deep that consistantly id'ed as a 50 cent piece at 6 inches. If it beeps it is something there, may just be real deep but it's there. Beer cans are my favorite, they will id in the 74-78 range and show 4-6 inches, normally they'll be a foot or so deep, I have found that 99 % of the time if you have not found a coin in the depth indicated it aint a coin. A piece of a copper pipe will id as a good target and depending on size can be alot deeper. I hit a 50 cent signal on day that showed 8 inches, dug down 9-10 inches and hit the bottom of a big jar, just knew I had a cache !! carefully removed the jar then dug another 7-8 inches to find a rail road spike. I have found that the biggest part of coins in most places will id properly at 6-8 inches and have atleast a 2/3rds full confidence bar. Hope this will help a bit.
Ray

Take a look at this for some good information about the "empty hole" problem.

I dug a hole and thru in a Kenndy half , but didn't pack the soil. Testing the 5" excell coil, the coil inductance disruption makes sense now. The signal wasn't as strong.

I have dug quarters 12inches that just gave me a lite but good tone signal just once as soon as you get it I would pinpoint dont remember what depth said but it wasnt right dug the hole 8 - 10 inches and the target is gone. Either dig down four more inches or use a sunray or detector pro pinpointer (something that will give you depth) to check out hole.

Scott, with my MXT fitted with the 10x6, gain at +3, I have dug dimes to a measured 9 inches in highly mineralized soil. The signal is faint, but REAPEATABLE, but there is NO VDI reading, at least for my soil. Thus, a faint, repeatable signal, but no VDI, always gets my attention. Sure, sometimes it is a very small non-ferrous object a few inches deep, but it is a deep coin often enough to warrant digging. As for the "deep hole, no target" issue: buried aluminum cans can read at dimes or quarters even when 18" deep; I know, 'cause I have dug 'em! THUS... if you stop at 10 inches, and there is still a signal there, dig deeper. Or, at least probe the bottom of the hole with a metal, or electronic probe. Hope this helps; HH Jim