Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep targets with the Deus

Gary-B

I don't honestly think there is a generic deep program for everyone, it all depends on soil conditions, your hearing, your patience, trash & iron levels. Perhaps there may not be deep targets present at all !
If you sweep very slow and you have no iron - trash, sure a low reactivity will work better, silencer -1 will give more depth, so will higher sensitivity and lower discrimination levels.

For me the penny dropped when I realised these 50 / 50 sounds I had been ignoring were very often deep targets.

Do any of you guys have tips on finding deep targets ?

Actually, I got all my deep target tips from you Gary! Or 95% from you, with 5% of my own hunting style making up the rest.

For me the control box has to go away, as the VDI on the Deus isn't the best, but even when I know that the VDI will still override what my ears are telling me to dig. Training my ears didn't take too long on full tones, so now it's easier to pull out those deep soft tones with an audio response set at 2 or 3. I've also been getting better, especially after hiding away the control box, at digging those deep sounding tones that sound good minus clipping/audio artifiacts that sound iron'ish. I dug a silver dime on Sunday that way, it was down about 9" and gave one tiny bit of a great tone followed by clipping and buzzing. Al out didn't dig it, but there was a dig scar there from someone else that had recently dug, so I was curious. There was a Rosie surrounded by a couple pieces of junk.

Professor Gary asking his students for tips :) Similar to ChrisMD, when I started using an Audio Response of 3, my brain seemed to be able to latch on to those quieter signals mixed in with the typical noise of Full Tones, 0 Discim. Even if it was just a blip of a good tone with an iron buzz, it was going to be dug.

Gary-B said:
Do any of you guys have tips on finding deep targets ?

Search CZConnoisseur's posts...he's had great success with deep targets and is extremely descriptive with settings and sounds; he's even used the non-motion modes.

man ive been passing on alot of the clipping sounds! Ive just started learning on the deep sounds as I have been hunting the trash since I got my machine. I did dig a eagle button last sat that was deep and it was a whisper in the head phones.

I saw a video where the host swore by using the headphone attachment to the earphones. The earphones weren't plugged into the control box but rather the earphone adapter then he carried the ws4 headphones in his pocket. The host stated the audio was clearer and iffy signals sounded much better. I've got one of the adapters but haven't tried it myself to verify. I have noticed that when sweeping slowly the scratchy, zippy sound that I attribute to ground noise will sometimes stop. I've dug those but never find anything. Probably passing up on good targets but I may try them eventually. Time is on my side. Ha! Has anyone ever tried using ear buds attached to the headphones and noticed an improvement?

Yes I saw the same video, and actually purchased the very same headphones to test.
They sounded harsh and loud to a point where I felt dizzy using them.

It just goes to prove what works for one person who t for another.

The FX02 headphones sound great for my ears. I use the horseshoe connector with the Ws4 module in a pouch around my neck.

What I find very strange is the total difference between your take on the best practices with and XP Deus and those of Andy Sabitch. He wrote the "book" and you have a well produced video series. You both mention being in touch with Alain and both seem to be endorsed by him. Yet your take on no discrimination is 100% opposite of Andy's take on it. For a group of people trying to get the most out of a machine it seems strange that there isn't a clear direction to go. Yes there are ground differences but there's more to it than that. This isn't or shouldn't be a question of personal choices on how to operate an electrical device it either is better one way or the other.Speaking of zero discrim vs discrimination up to 10. Not argumentative here just questioning multiple authority's.

And yes sometimes deep targets simply aren't there to hear.

for me there is a vast difference the way i use the Deus in iron or trashy sites as opposed to more open sites like farm fields and around old houses that are still in use.

0 discrim or 1 or 2 if needed
full tones
sens as high as possible. i can get away with 95 very often and i think that really makes a difference.
tx 3
0 or 1 reactivity
0 or -1 silencer
0 iron vol

in other words, as open and powerful as possible. i have found lots of deep dimes or other good targets this way but don't even think about using it this way where there is lots of iron or pull tabs.

Hi Todd
Thanks for your reply
We are the guys in the field, are we Deus Guru's...probably not but we both have our own unique ways of explaining the Deus.
Is there a generic way of operating a Deus, or any other metal detector.....NO, even a toaster is a piece of electrical equipment but there's different settings based on your personal choices. If it was that easy there would be just an on or off switch.
Each person is different and they absorb information differently, or shall I say they portray information differently, so I would say no there is no clear direction to go when learning this machine.

If Andy says something in his book, that's his opinion, if I say something that's my opinion, it's all just a platform for you guys to go out and get started based on our own experiences in the field.
Now we are beginning to see you guys thinking out of the box and coming up with your own Deus ideas, that's fantastic it makes a healthy forum and keen discussions.

Appreciate your thoughts G

CT Todd said:
What I find very strange is the total difference between your take on the best practices with and XP Deus and those of Andy Sabitch. He wrote the "book" and you have a well produced video series. You both mention being in touch with Alain and both seem to be endorsed by him. Yet your take on no discrimination is 100% opposite of Andy's take on it. For a group of people trying to get the most out of a machine it seems strange that there isn't a clear direction to go. Yes there are ground differences but there's more to it than that. This isn't or shouldn't be a question of personal choices on how to operate an electrical device it either is better one way or the other.Speaking of zero discrim vs discrimination up to 10. Not argumentative here just questioning multiple authority's.

And yes sometimes deep targets simply aren't there to hear.

wow..took the words right out of my mouth. Both are great detectorist ..no question their but man sometimes i feel im on the top of a fence trying to decide who's yard to play in.

I used to run identical programs side by side except one was Full Tones with 0 Discim and the other was 4 tones with Discrim of 8. When over a challenging target, I would flip between both programs and both could detect the challenging targets. I settled on the Full Tones, 0 Discrim approach because it just sounded better to me, and I felt more confident using it …and I think confidence is half the battle as the saying goes. I don’t know if the Full Tones, 0 Discrim strategy has any significant advantage over any Tones program using minimum amount of Discrimination…..it’s just that the Full Tones, 0 Discrim strategy to the Deus works better for how my brain processes information. And as the saying goes…..”there is more than one way to skin a cat” :cheers:

Lodge Scent said:
I used to run identical programs side by side except one was Full Tones with 0 Discim and the other was 4 tones with Discrim of 8. When over a challenging target, I would flip between both programs and both could detect the challenging targets. I settled on the Full Tones, 0 Discrim approach because it just sounded better to me, and I felt more confident using it …and I think confidence is half the battle as the saying goes. I don’t know if the Full Tones, 0 Discrim strategy has any significant advantage over any Tones program using minimum amount of Discrimination…..it’s just that the Full Tones, 0 Discrim strategy to the Deus works better for how my brain processes information. And as the saying goes…..”there is more than one way to skin a cat” :cheers:

Well said I agree with your findings as I did exactly the same test and just found that I like to use the Discrim with the Iron volume. I saw no difference at all in the depth of the unit whatsoever.

Did anybody place a target in some trash and try those test? When you say challenging target do you mean deep or a target being masked? Im a zero discrim guy myself thats the way I learned the at pro and had good success with it and decided thats the way I wanted to run the deus. You guys are the experts and I bet both ways find stuff but when I go over a trashy site with no discrim and then go back over it with discrim on well just try it your self seems to me im missing alot of targets just my thinking on the subject.I get it you dont lose any depth but thats not what im talking about I think when you run discrim in a trashy site you knock out masked good target too. anyone else have that same thought?

A very good thread.

A few comments here based on my experiences.

A person would serve themselves well to judge their soil mineralization,, to determine the best reactivity setting for max depth.
Now silencer at -1 ,,,this is a given.

My experiences show,,if mineralization meter is 3/4 of the way full or fuller--- reactivity settings 0 and 1 not useable or are very restricted,,meaning the signals on deeper targets can be skewed to low tone and or be very swing speed/ coil position sensitive.
Even using reactivity 2 with said mineral levels above-- may not be the greatest idea.

Something else I have been witnessing,,,,coins on edge-- tone not the sweetest sounding, or high tone sounding,,moreso caught in the middle tone wise,,almost sounds closer to low tone. My ground has been wet as of late-- this could,be a contributing factor.

Also,,the horseshoe may be a good key-- the amount shaded,,,meaning even a low tone with a sliver of horseshoe--- could be a deep nonferrous target.

Also,,I have been getting a few targets providing low tone ( iron tone) with disc set at 5.8,,, and checked some of these targets with full tones O disc,,show iron signal--- and out pops a nonferrous target in nails.

Pay close attention to the tone--- some targets both shallower an deeper not higher sounding,,actually lower sounding--- and these can be nonferrous targets.

Sometimes I think, but can't prove-- either mineral or iron dust is compromising the tone signal on nonferrous targets-- both mid depths and deep.

If you are only digging textbook tone targets--IMO you are leaving nonferrous targets in the ground.

Meter readings--- you depend on these,,you are leaving some ( key word some)) good targets in the ground.

Remember,,just locating a nonferrous target ( depending on the site)) is a major feat sometimes for any detector,, even the Deus,,,no matter the ID reading on the meter.

All good tips Squirrel. I almost passed on a deep copper recently. I thought it was just another shotgun shell as it had a low tone similar to the dozen previous shells I had dug that morning. Turns out it was a copper on edge and partially masked.

Calabash, I definitely agree with you. Running too much Discrimination will certainly cost you good targets. That's a fact. You can get away with a little bit of Discrim most of the time, but for a heavily masked target, 0 Discrim will give you the best chance. I've had iffy signals clear up quite a bit when I switched to an adjacent 0 Discrim program.

Did you just dig the iron tone for kicks and out pops a non ferrous target or was there a clue that alerted you something might be masked? volume rising etc? Thanks lodge cent thats the point I was trying to get across about the masked targets.When I tried it with full tones in heavy trash and ran the discrim up to 5 it wiped out the the targets to me except for the occasional bleep but nothing repeatable and when I turn it off I can here the iffys too which are good targets sometimes but the discrim knocks them out. Im not gonna take those kinda chances. I walked into a site with the deus a few weeks ago that had been killed and dug 1869 nickel,1853 trime,and other non ferrous targets from a nail bed that had dig holes all around the targets and dug the nickel from one of their dig holes ,The section was 7ft wide and 35 ft long and it had been hit hard ill bet you those guys were running discrim and it knocked the targets out. The reason I say this is you could not find a target away from the nails they picked it clean! The targets were not masked that bad either and what I said is just a guess but thats my thought on it.

calabash digger said:
Did you just dig the iron tone for kicks and out pops a non ferrous target or was there a clue that alerted you something might be masked? volume rising etc? Thanks lodge cent thats the point I was trying to get across about the masked targets.When I tried it with full tones in heavy trash and ran the discrim up to 5 it wiped out the the targets to me except for the occasional bleep but nothing repeatable and when I turn it off I can here the iffys too which are good targets sometimes but the discrim knocks them out. Im not gonna take those kinda chances. I walked into a site with the deus a few weeks ago that had been killed and dug 1869 nickel,1853 trime,and other non ferrous targets from a nail bed that had dig holes all around the targets and dug the nickel from one of their dig holes ,The section was 7ft wide and 35 ft long and it had been hit hard ill bet you those guys were running discrim and it knocked the targets out. The reason I say this is you could not find a target away from the nails they picked it clean! The targets were not masked that bad either and what I said is just a guess but thats my thought on it.

Yes I was digging solid tones ( repeatable with disc at 5.:geek: and sure enough a nonferrous target was detected (( and full tones O disc would not tell me it was there)).